Bayz Audio Counterpoint 2.0 >>>>Rhapsody.Audio

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Question: Why do you toe the speakers in? The "driver" is radiating in 360 degrees. Perhaps you are trying to control the diffused reflection from the pipe in the rear.

It's all room and personal preference. I like the Courantes or the Counterpoints facing perfectly straight with no toe-in, but I have a few customers that turn them all kinds of ways because they like the way it looks and it does change the sound of the low frequencies. The omni is only at 2K Hz and above so the bass ports on the rears of the speaker act differently in different rooms and placement locations in those rooms.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Oh, I see. it is the port that is interacting with the room. Thanks.

Reactions: Rhapsody

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
It's all room and personal preference. I like the Courantes or the Counterpoints facing perfectly straight with no toe-in, but I have a few customers that turn them all kinds of ways because they like the way it looks and it does change the sound of the low frequencies. The omni is only at 2K Hz and above so the bass ports on the rears of the speaker act differently in different rooms and placement locations in those rooms.
I check their website. They have 1k Hz polar plot. It is a nice circle. So I guess it is omni from 1k Hz onwards.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I check their website. They have 1k Hz polar plot. It is a nice circle. So I guess it is omni from 1k Hz onwards.

The cut-off from the woofers is 2K Hz, the BRS (Bayz Radial Speaker/Tweeter) runs from 2K Hz to way out there.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I ask the following out of genuine curiosity. Why do you think the horns sound great as heard in that video?

As crazy as it is, as I don't think you could do it if you tried, the Bayz Courante speakers are playing not the horns. This was a video at South Korea show with the Bayz Courante in the same room.

Not sure if Zoltan should have posted this particular video, but it is different:)

Reactions: gian60

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
How do you explain the polar plot of 1k Hz?

Zoltan or Mark from Bayz will give you a nice explanation a little later today.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
As crazy as it is, as I don't think you could do it if you tried, the Bayz Courante speakers are playing not the horns. This was a video at South Korea show with the Bayz Courante in the same room.

Not sure if Zoltan should have posted this particular video, but it is different:)
Ah! Fool me once.....
Next time anyone posts the Bayz in a video, could you make it easier for me and show only a pair of Bose speakers set up on their stands?

Zoltan Bay

Industry Expert
Mar 7, 2020
Ah! Fool me once.....
Next time anyone posts the Bayz in a video, could you make it easier for me and show only a pair of Bose speakers set up on their stands?

Sorry for that, I didn't do the recording, but I did post it on the forum. I hope you liked the sound.

Beachman

Mar 20, 2020
Hi adyc: Bayz Audio loudspeaker systems are designed to be omni directional in the entire frequency band all the way to 40 khz. The plot shown in the website is the original BRS only at 1 kHz. 1596826433832.png This is the polar response of the latest version of the Courante BRS tweeter with the listener at either the -90 degree position. It should be noted that drivers play well outside the crossover point (the exception is brick wall filters) so it is important to look at a tweeter's response a full otave below the crossover point. As you can see: it is exceptionally well behaved, almost perfect. This is where conventional drivers stumble if a designer pushes them too far.

Reactions: adyc and Zoltan Bay

Beachman

Mar 20, 2020
Although no one asked, I thought I'd share information about measurements and microhones. Look at this measurment of the Bayz Audio Courante tweeter at 2 kHz and 40 kHz.
1596827075131.png
First, notice that the BRS tweeter is flat to 50 kHz. Because of physics, a 1/8" diameter microphone must be used for frequencies this high. A typical 1/2" mic, as used in many published measurements, typically start rolling off at 20 kHz (maybe a little higher).

Second, not only does the tweeter go to a remarkable 50 kHz, it is still well behaved and omnidirectional at 40 kHz with -10 dB lobes on the sides but still omni + and - 45 degrees from the on axis. This is an incredible feat.

A quick note: an omni speaker emits positive, in phase pressure at the same time in any direction. Dipoles emit a positive pressure in the front while simultaneously emiting a negative pressure to the rear. We hypothesize this is why our speaker sounds so real.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Hi adyc: Bayz Audio loudspeaker systems are designed to be omni directional in the entire frequency band all the way to 40 khz. The plot shown in the website is the original BRS only at 1 kHz. View attachment 68031 This is the polar response of the latest version of the Courante BRS tweeter with the listener at either the -90 degree position. It should be noted that drivers play well outside the crossover point (the exception is brick wall filters) so it is important to look at a tweeter's response a full otave below the crossover point. As you can see: it is exceptionally well behaved, almost perfect. This is where conventional drivers stumble if a designer pushes them too far.

Thanks for the explanation. Indeed, the polar response is perfect up to very high frequency. I am hugely impressed.

Another question. Is the size of BRS tweeter the same as in Cournate and Counterpoint?

Beachman

Mar 20, 2020
Thanks for the explanation. Indeed, the polar response is perfect up to very high frequency. I am hugely impressed.

Another question. Is the size of BRS tweeter the same as in Cournate and Counterpoint?

No, they are slightly different: the BRS tweeter in the Courante and the Counterpoint are the exact same technologies and materials; the only difference is the height.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Last edited:

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
From this "review", that reads more like a VERY detailed product ad copy in the Robb Report (sadly reviews like these have become prevalent in most "high end" magazines for any gear above $2 K) one (myself) may plainly see that Dr Clott is no Harry Pearson, that is for sure ..... Speaking of somewhat critical reviews, sadly, as a reviewer Dr Clott is a whole one light year away from Jon Valin as well....

Last edited:

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Anyone know if Bayz are planning to import into the UK? Have enquired a couple of times via the website but no response.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

Zoltan Bay

Industry Expert
Mar 7, 2020
Anyone know if Bayz are planning to import into the UK? Have enquired a couple of times via the website but no response.

Yes, we plan to show up and look for dealers in the UK. In May 2021, we will be attending the Rolls-Royce Club event in London. Thank you for your feedback, I didn't receive the messages, please write to z.bay@t-online.hu.
Best regards,
Zoltán

Beachman

Mar 20, 2020
Can anyone on WBF recommend one or more high end UK dealers with proper showroom and the best electronics? Thanks in advance!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing