Being The Ricardos

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Being the Ricardos - Official Trailer | Prime Video

Streaming free on Amazon Prime. We watched it last night. Seems that Nice Kidman has been pretty much in charge of her own acting roles as she once again is Executive Producer as she portrays Lucille Ball. It was an interesting story and told many things of which I was unaware. As always the make up and costuming were big factors in the believability of this 2 hour and 15 minute movie. Having said that the star in this film was Javier Bardem who I thought played the role of Desi perfectly. His accent was right on but more than anything he actually can sing and play the bongo drum. Also J K Simmons plays Willliam Frawley and his characterization was also very good.

Even though the movie was long it dwelled on Lucy being pregnant with Little Ricky and how Ricky wanted the season to be about Lucy having a baby. Their sponsor Philip Morris finally agreed and that was the end of it as her children played no part in this film

Nicole Kidman looked stone faced and out of character as she tried to portray Lucy

Another enjoyable but not great movie

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
And Steve, is that the point? Was Lucille Ball unhappy during this phase, the contracted artist sweetness and light to the world, but tortured behind the scenes?
Or was this an affectation or take that diverges from the truth?
If it's the latter, then it's woke Hollywood again taking liberties with events in history to make the point it wants to make.
Or is Nicole badly miscast? Too much method acting?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sorry, I thought you were more knowledgeable about that aspect of the story, and thus could provide some perspective on the tone of her performance.
Tbh I can't imagine any fans wanting to see Lucy played as a downer, and she'll be of no interest to anyone under 40.
So, what's the point?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have yet to watch the movie but from what I have read part of the "plot" was to show a very serious woman played a very funny person on TV. That is, there was a big contrast between real Lucy and TV Lucy.

Reactions: RDSChicago

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
It was an enjoyable but not great movie. I thought all four of the main characters were pretty good.

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
I never believed Nicole Kidman as Lucille Ball. Her face, voice and manner didn't convince me for even a second. The role was originally supposed to go to Cate Blanchett, who is a much more talented actress and would have done it justice, IMO. Bardem was very good, but too old for the role.

Despite the critique above, I found the film intriguing and enjoyed watching this little slice of Lucy's life.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Actually when they showed Kidman "acting" as Lucy during scenes from the show, her mannerisms and voice sounded very similar to the Lucy we saw on TV. I am guessing that the other Lucy Kidman portrayed, the one who was smart and a pretty good business person, and also the one the public never saw, did not act goofy away from the set, so we do not know what she sounded like.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Actually when they showed Kidman "acting" as Lucy during scenes from the show, her mannerisms and voice sounded very similar to the Lucy we saw on TV. I am guessing that the other Lucy Kidman portrayed, the one who was smart and a pretty good business person, and also the one the public never saw, did not act goofy away from the set, so we do not know what she sounded like.
I thought Nicole nailed the scene with her stomping on the grapes.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
She's had so many injectables in her face it fails to move anymore.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Sorkin lost me on this one. What was up with the fake interviews and the flashbacks with no warning etc? Just a mess directing imo.

I never watched the show so no idea how good a performance she did. Bardem seemed better than she was. JK was great as usual.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
There is no doubt that this movie would have a different effect on those who watched the original show, which I did (in re-runs).

I thought Kidman did an excellent job as Lucy and Bardem was equally great as Desi. The movie was pretty dark in showing the real life issues of people who were comedic on TV.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing