Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference Series 2

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
OK.

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
So you are using the preamp's volume control to compensate for higher and lower recording gain levels and adjusting the DAC once you have achieved equal volume?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The Dac volume control is always fixed

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
Right, I meant when you were experimenting with the DAC settings. After listening for a while I can't replicate what you guys are doing without a preamp. I didn't think I could but I wanted to prove it to myself. The question for me now is do I want to throw a preamp into the mix. I can get the XP on trial so I may try it.

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
I’m super happy with my Berkeley Alpha DAC Reference 2. I’ve had it for two days and can’t stop listening. I have to admit I cannot hear a $18k improvement over my Audio Alchemy DDP-1. But I’m not surprised because the Audio Alchemy was given absolute rave reviews with almost every reviewer remarking that for its price it competes very well with DACS many times it’s cost. So I’m really happy. I also think it looks absolutely fab in my stereo setup.

371FC39B-489B-48C9-BD9E-6BC05553FCE0.jpeg

Reactions: gds7368 and Al M.

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
I’ve been really happy with my Berkeley DAC Reference. series 2+
I have the volume set at 55 (or 5500 according to the display) and have not noticed any difference in sound at different volume settings.

Last edited:

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
I’m super happy with my Berkeley Alpha DAC Reference 2. I’ve had it for two days and can’t stop listening. I have to admit I cannot hear a $18k improvement over my Audio Alchemy DDP-1. But I’m not surprised because the Audio Alchemy was given absolute rave reviews with almost every reviewer remarking that for its price it competes very well with DACS many times it’s cost. So I’m really happy. I also think it looks absolutely fab in my stereo setup.

View attachment 55691
I had the Berkeley Alpha (non-reference) DAC, then the Alpha (non-reference) 2 DAC which sounded smoother, though slightly less detailed than the Alpha 1. It took me a while to appreciate the 2 as an improvement, but after I got used to the 2 (couple months) I reinserted the first version (which I still had) and greatly appreciated the Alpha 2’s more analogue sound. Then I upgraded to a Berkeley Alpha Reference 1 and - wow - what an improvement in every way. Just a great sounding piece of audio gear. But then I went to using a music server, and the Berkeley DACs didn’t do DSD so I moved on.

Never tried a Reference 2 but I’m sure it sounds wonderful. Enjoy in good health !!!

FWIW my system at that time my system was Ayre cx-7e MP CD player, Berkeley Alpha/Alpha 2/Reference 1 DAC, Ayre KX-R 20 preamplifier, Classe CA-M600 monoblocks, B&W 800 D2 speakers. I look back on that system fondly, so much so that I fried three of the D2’s tweeters playing so loudly (single with no kids at the time). Even though I was in the warranty period B&W told me I had to start buying any more blown tweeters :) And on to a whole new system I went ....

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
I went from a Berkeley Alpha DAC2 MQA to a Berkeley Ref 3 a few months ago and couldn't be happier. Very analogue yet detailed sound.

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
I went from a Berkeley Alpha DAC2 MQA to a Berkeley Ref 3 a few months ago and couldn't be happier. Very analogue yet detailed sound.

Lucky you to own a Ref 3! Mine was upgraded to a 2 and has some features of the 3 but not all. You might be interested to hear this: I bought a Berkeley Alpha DAC off Audiogon. It was only 10 days old (I saw a copy of the receipt); the seller had purchased some gear where it was no longer needed. The seller,, who owned a 2, also mentioned that he had auditioned the 3 for less than two minutes when he knew it blew away anything he had listened to before and he bought it on the spot. So again I say, lucky you to own a 3!

Last edited:

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
I had the Berkeley Alpha (non-reference) DAC, then the Alpha (non-reference) 2 DAC which sounded smoother, though slightly less detailed than the Alpha 1. It took me a while to appreciate the 2 as an improvement, but after I got used to the 2 (couple months) I reinserted the first version (which I still had) and greatly appreciated the Alpha 2’s more analogue sound. Then I upgraded to a Berkeley Alpha Reference 1 and - wow - what an improvement in every way. Just a great sounding piece of audio gear. But then I went to using a music server, and the Berkeley DACs didn’t do DSD so I moved on.

Never tried a Reference 2 but I’m sure it sounds wonderful. Enjoy in good health !!!

FWIW my system at that time my system was Ayre cx-7e MP CD player, Berkeley Alpha/Alpha 2/Reference 1 DAC, Ayre KX-R 20 preamplifier, Classe CA-M600 monoblocks, B&W 800 D2 speakers. I look back on that system fondly, so much so that I fried three of the D2’s tweeters playing so loudly (single with no kids at the time). Even though I was in the warranty period B&W told me I had to start buying any more blown tweeters :) And on to a whole new system I went ....

Thanks for the good wishes

That it doesn’t do DSD really gave me a problem when I was considering buying mine, but the price I paid was sooo good I decided I couldnt afford to care that much. I’ve been into streaming music for over a year now and I’ve yet to put out the extra bucks to download any hi res music. I guess that means I am content with Redbook quality, so I don’t really need that DSD feature. Nevertheless, I feel almost certain it limits the sales on this otherwise wonderful piece of gear.

Kids or no kids, I don’t fry my ears listening. Most of my music is opera or classical with a generous sprinkle of “international” or “eclectic”. I had a friend over to listen to my system and he likes a lot of volume so we cranked up the volume and I have to say my system never sounded so wonderful! My friend was kind enough to say he had never heard a better home audio system. I have Quad ESL-63 speakers, so no tweeters to blow out, but it does have a reputation that they are not for the r&r loud music folks but I can now beg to differ . I hope your new system pleases you as much as mine pleases me!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M. and gds7368

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing