Best Small Horn speaker? Horn speaker lovers. (Piano sound)

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Doesn’t the current vaccine do nothing to prevent you from getting it and spreading it? I read it does not kill the virus, it only helps to limit the sickness the infected person gets.
That is the case with all vaccines. They only prevent or minimise the manifestation of disease. They don't prevent infection. Only PPE can do that or staying isolated.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
Watch this video, the vaccine does stop you from getting the virus.

No it does not stop you getting the virus - listen carefully from about 45 seconds in "...develop ways to protect the person if they ever come in contact with with the actual corona virus...". In essence - the vaccine instructs your immune cells on how to combat the effects of Covid 19 in your body. That is not the same as not getting the virus - you may still get the virus but your body has the ability to combat the virus "nasties"...

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
No it does not stop you getting the virus - listen carefully from about 45 seconds in "...develop ways to protect the person if they ever come in contact with with the actual corona virus...". In essence - the vaccine instructs your immune cells on how to combat the effects of Covid 19 in your body. That is not the same as not getting the virus - you may still get the virus but your body has the ability to combat the virus "nasties"...
All vaccines work the same, they stop you from getting sick. I was attempting to dumb down the explanation due to the obvious confusion about the vaccines.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Gentlemen:

No more vaccine discussion, please.

Please return to the topic of the thread: small horn speakers.

Thank you.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Gentlemen:

No more vaccine discussion, please.

Please return to the topic of the thread: small horn speakers.

Thank you.
Sure thing Ron. So can I blow the virus away if I sit in direct line of sight of the horn? That would be a huge selling point!

Reactions: Bobvin

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: hogen and howiebrou

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Sangbro, not easy for you to listen, but Diesis makes several horn + open baffle speakers you might like, I think the model Ludo would fit your room, or the Aura. I heard top model Roma Triode and was gobsmacked, but that is too much for your room (and too much for my budget). There are I believe Ludo, Aura, Caput Mundi, Roma, Roma Triode. Talk with Bob @ Rhapsody Audio (NYC), he is a forum member and advertises on the forum too. Nicest audio guy around, and he used to sell AvantGarde so knows his way ‘round horns.

Reactions: Sangbro

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
My plan is getting one for Piano(Classical music) and Harbeth 30.1 for all other comfort listening.
If I understand correctly, your plan is to get a small-room-friendly horn speaker for classical music (and in particular piano), and the Harbeth 30.1's for "all other comfort listening".

Could you explain what you mean by "all other comfort listening"? I presume you mean listening to other types of music which tend to sound better on a warm, wide-dispersion speaker like the Harbeths, but I'd rather ask than make assumptions.

Will both sets of speakers be in the same room?

Incidentally, something that often works well in a square room is to set the system up on a diagonal, or perhaps just a little bit off of the diagonal. How much freedom will you have in this room, as far as speaker positioning goes?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Sangbro

Dec 19, 2020
If I understand correctly, your plan is to get a small-room-friendly horn speaker for classical music (and in particular piano), and the Harbeth 30.1's for "all other comfort listening".

Could you explain what you mean by "all other comfort listening"? I presume you mean listening to other types of music which tend to sound better on a warm, wide-dispersion speaker like the Harbeths, but I'd rather ask than make assumptions.

Will both sets of speakers be in the same room?

Incidentally, something that often works well in a square room is to set the system up on a diagonal, or perhaps just a little bit off of the diagonal. How much freedom will you have in this room, as far as speaker positioning goes?

Thanks!
Oh. I didn’t mean something very specific. I was just mentioning my rough idea about how I need to set up things.

Due to my personal feeling toward Harbeth’s sound, it’s like turning on radio, so I thought that it might be a good idea to use Harbeth when I do work/read a book. I do not mean that I put the priority on a warm, wide-dispersion speaker. No matter what I get for my primary system, I think getting small harbeth (such as 30.1) would be fun.
I might not put it in the same room, it also depends on what kind of final result I end up with.

For this small room, I have full degree of control, meaning that it’s completely empty.

Thank you for thoughtful comment. About the e-mail, I’ve found your email on website. Honestly, I do not have solid idea about how to proceed things yet, so I’ve not written yet. I do not want to take your time more than needed.
Once I figure out things, I will contact accordingly.

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I have a Will's Horn Finalist thread where I basically drove or flew across the country to listen to various horn speakers. That included LA and San Diego. I ended up with Viking Acoustic Grande Voix. I had many many discussions with David Counsell who is the speaker builder before deciding on them. Unlike mass produced speakers, David can tweak them to meet your individual needs and sonic preferences. David hand delivered the speakers to me in Arizona, and set them up in my house a couple of weeks ago. I did go to his studio in Sante FE (cool little town) to listen to a few of his speakers. That said, he did not have any Grande Voix's built that I could listen to. That did not deter me from buying the sound characteristics. I will say my current system is by far the best I have ever had.

So, I will second or third a vote for either the Viking Berlin or L'Instrument. His woodworking and craftsmanship is outstanding. I am in sound bliss.

Attachments

• IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0649.jpg
    587.3 KB · Views: 43

rubinken

Jan 15, 2020
Olympia, WA, USA
Following with curiosoty.

Reactions: findog

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hello,

As I study about speakers, I develop great interest in horn speakers.

It’s not mainstream mass market, and honestly, I didn’t have any knowledge before.

Personally, for Classical / Jazz music that are mainly for instruments, horn speakers have its charm.
(Distinctive sonic character, Fast Speaker - that I recently understand, Amp efficent)
Especially I try to find the piano sound, closer to the real piano sound - better.

The limitation for me is, most of them are huge and heavy by its nature. My room is 14ft by14ft with 8.5 ft ceiling.

Do you know any small size horn speakers? (Also except Klipsch - personal preference)

So far, what I find are,

1) Avantgarde Uno Fino - 121lbs (55kg) per unit, I really like vocals, all other instruments except piano. This speaker makes Bosendorf sound like Yamaha.

2) Cessaro Wagner - 242lbs (110kg)... yes it’s too big... please just leave this one as the reference

3) Odeon Helix - 112 lbs (51kg) per unit - Piano sounds little glassy (?), also no dealer in the US so no chance to do real extensive listening

... And it doesn’t look like the conventional horn (hybrid? I don’t know)

4) Horning Aristotle - 88lbs (40kg) per unit - Only two dealers so I far I know. All too far. Not much information around in my area.

5) Oswald / Fleetwood sound - the Size is in the range, at least there seems to be one dealer in LA area, plan to audition

6) AudioKinesis Gina - the speaker I’d like to really want to know. Basically almost perfect specs that I’m looking for. Genuinely curious how it sounds.

7) Viking - Sounds good, comforting. Sill no dealer, no chance to hear.

Is there any other small - under 125lbs (56kg) size? Indeed it’s for a room size 14ft x 14ft (4m x 4m),
so, even smaller size would fit. (Later I might move this to 20ft x 15ft, but still not big.)

Problems are, all of them are very difficult to reach and get in my area.

For me living in SoCal USA (around LA), Odeon is completely unavailable.
This brand has really terrific speakers not just horn, and some history but somehow there are not many dealers.
It’s puzzling me when the brand like this doesn’t have many dealers, and no dealer in the US.
I heard this in Asia during my current business trip.

Horn type speakers are hard to find. (Even in LA area...
:(
)

So far my speaker hunt starts from...

Focal/SF/B&W/Wilson/Revel and other mainstream brands

To -> Harbeth(30.1) / GrahamLS5/9 -> Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby/Brodmann(former Bosendorfer) VC2

Finding Piano sounds is a harder journey than I initially expect.

I would appreciate any advice / thoughts.

Cheers.
I use Odeon La Boheme, which is similar in size to the Cessaro Wagner. Sounds phenomenal with piano driven by Aries Cerat electronics (DAC and Integrated amp). I get very natural tone and decay as well as the clear dynamic impulse when the hammer is striking the string. You hear and sense the action of the instrument so it is clear from what the sound is coming from. The impulse through decay envelope is preserved. This makes sound more real.

Sadly, mine are a very old model and the current ones are somewhat different in character but still have great dynamics.

If you can find someone out there from whom you can audition them I would say give it a shot.

Dynamikks speakers also sound very good with piano but are even more rare in the US than Odeon.

The Horning speakers can sound very natural and also have very good dynamics and capture the overall note envelopes well. I think this could be a very good option.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
:DSangbro, not easy for you to listen, but Diesis makes several horn + open baffle speakers you might like, I think the model Ludo would fit your room, or the Aura. I heard top model Roma Triode and was gobsmacked, but that is too much for your room (and too much for my budget). There are I believe Ludo, Aura, Caput Mundi, Roma, Roma Triode. Talk with Bob @ Rhapsody Audio (NYC), he is a forum member and advertises on the forum too. Nicest audio guy around, and he used to sell AvantGarde so knows his way ‘round horns.
Yeah the Diesis speakers are good...:D

Sangbro

Dec 19, 2020
Yeah the Diesis speakers are good...:D
Thank you for the information.

My challenging part is trying to find one to hear. It’s very difficult in the US.
In case of Odeon, there’s no US dealer and Canadian dealer is not interested in selling one. :(

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Thank you for the information.

My challenging part is trying to find one to hear. It’s very difficult in the US.
In case of Odeon, there’s no US dealer and Canadian dealer is not interested in selling one. :(
Go visit Rhapsody in NYC.

loki1957

Sep 19, 2012
Santa Fe NM
I bought a pair of Viking acoustics Berlin's last summer. I live in Santa Fe so I able to audition them. I wasn't looking for another pair of speakers but once I heard them I wanted them. What i like about them is their smallish size and big sound. My room is 17x17. They work perfectly in my room. With my other speakers I use a pair of subs. Not needed with the Berlins. David's technology of porting the bass through the horn is in unusual but delivers great bass. Deep and tight. The mids and highs are also exemplary. I'm very happy with them till I move up to L'instrument in a year or so.
John

etunes

Jan 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
I have Uno XD's in 15x16 and they are wonderful with Jazz and piano etc.. Even considering Duo XD's for the room .

Reactions: hogen

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
I have Uno XD's in 15x16 and they are wonderful with Jazz and piano etc.. Even considering Duo XD's for the room .
I agree, I also have the Uno XD´s in my small system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing