Best SS amp for $200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Actually most hifi gear that was really hi end in the 60’s would still be considered hi-end today ..!

Regards
Perhaps by a subset of audiophiles who collect and curate.

I owned much of it and preferred it up until the early ‘80’s when the new “high end” emerged.

Another idiotic thread to compare visions for the hobby? Probably yes. So … I’m out.

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
There is always the possibility to NOT feed a troll :p

It often takes a great deal of wisdom to discern if one may be a troll among a group of distinguished gentlemen.

I assure you that I am not the troll you seek to expose.

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
You think I was tickled by the idea that Japanese sourced components could be considered high end in 2023. No, that’s not the implication of my being tickled by your proposal. The humor is in your equating high end from 1978 to high end 45 years later. It’s equivalent to arguing that the best Stromberg Carlson radio from 1940 was high end in 1985.

There are folks who believe that “Once high end, always high end.” They’re welcome to their opinions, and your company.

You seem to be highly ignorant of the pioneering Japanese SS components, some of which set a standard for others to learn from to this day.

And then there are the benchmark setting Japanese tube components that no one else has been able to match!

You talk about how much better equipment is today. Well, outside of a few exceptions (nearly all of them Japanese), I have yet to hear the bulk of todays equipment connect me to the music like a good vintage component can do.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
I hate to have to inform you of this, but the Ultimate Integra M-505 was a SOTA product made from '77 until '83, which was then replace by the Grand Integra M-510 in '84.

The is very much a high end amp!
You DO realize that that amplifier is 40 years old and will most likely need to be recapped at this point, right?

Meaning that IF it powers up at all, it won't be working at full potential, then with the added stress of powering your loudspeakers, will cause what little life is left in those 40 year old capacitors to leave the building rather quickly.

In short, the $200 you spent on that amp, look to spend at least that much again on getting all of the caps in it replaced.

You'll be into it for $400 at that point. For $400, you could have hunted down a used Odyssey Khartago like thedudeabides mentioned above, or a much newer, slightly used Emotiva BasX A2 for probably $200. They're only $500 new.

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
You DO realize that that amplifier is 40 years old and will most likely need to be recapped at this point, right?

Meaning that IF it powers up at all, it won't be working at full potential, then with the added stress of powering your loudspeakers, will cause what little life is left in those 40 year old capacitors to leave the building rather quickly.

In short, the $200 you spent on that amp, look to spend at least that much again on getting all of the caps in it replaced.

You'll be into it for $400 at that point. For $400, you could have hunted down a used Odyssey Khartago like thedudeabides mentioned above, or a much newer, slightly used Emotiva BasX A2 for probably $200. They're only $500 new.

I am well aware of everything you have stated. This amp has been thoroughly tested and guarateed to work. But it will sooner or later need to br recapped, which I have been doing for years so no big deal.

I have been looked for Khartago's, and none of them are selling below their retail price. The Emotiva is a relatively low end amp.

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
Referring to someone - anyone - as “highly ignorant” is a sure giveaway that you are a troll.

So far, you seem to be the most ignorant person I have come across here. You still have a thing or two to learn in life son.

Take this as constuctive criticism, or take yourself out of my thread. It's your choice.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
I am well aware of everything you have stated. This amp has been thoroughly tested and guarateed to work. But it will sooner or later need to br recapped, which I have been doing for years so no big deal.

I have been looked for Khartago's, and none of them are selling below their retail price. The Emotiva is a relatively low end amp.
Considering people were buying that Onkyo M-505 amp five to ten years ago for $400-$500, I can only imagine how "thoroughly tested and guaranteed" your amp is for only $200 in today's market.

You might want to get your soldering iron warmed up and a new spool for solder ready for when your amp arrives. Personally, I wouldn't fire that thing up unless I had it connected to a variac or dim bulb.

As for the Khartago, they're hard to come by on the used market, and usually hold a pretty solid value as most were either ordered upgraded or were purchased as base models then sent in later on to be upgraded. Those are the only ones I've seem for sale lately, none of them being the base model.

Mid-fi rather than "low end", at least the Emotiva is much newer and will more than likely work right out of the box.

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
Considering people were buying that Onkyo M-505 amp five to ten years ago for $400-$500, I can only imagine how "thoroughly tested and guaranteed" your amp is for only $200 in today's market.

Actually, they are still selling for $500 to $600 today. I always shop for the cheapest tested and guaranteed offerings I can find.

• Haha
Reactions: Chops

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
So far, you seem to be the most ignorant person I have come across here. You still have a thing or two to learn in life son.

Take this as constuctive criticism, or take yourself out of my thread. It's your choice.
Look in the mirror, “son.”

Thanks for being the troll I sensed you to be. It makes it more entertaining to read your horse manure.

Why are you here? What is your real objective? Did you think being rude and insulting would magically produce a $200 amp? There are better ways for finding a good bargain that meets certain performance criteria.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chops
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing