Blue Jasmine

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Let me preface this by saying that I am a huge Woody Allen fan and have seen most of his films over the years so going to this one was a no brainer. Saw it last night and it is a typical Woody movie however if I were asked in one word to describe the film my answer would be "meh"

In a nutshell..........Woody Allen trades New York City for San Francisco with his comedy-drama Blue Jasmine, starring Cate Blanchett as a troubled former Manhattanite who moves to the City by the Bay to live with her sister after her wealthy husband divorces her. Forced to put her life back together piece by piece while under the effect of powerful anti-depressants, she dates a series of men, attempts to build a career, and slowly learns how to count on herself to survive. Alec Baldwin, Louis C.K., and Bobby Cannavale co-star

Having said this I can say that the movie was a lesson in acting by Cate Blanchett who not only looked and dressed like a stone fox but was in literally every scene. She is the focus around whom the story is based and IMO was so good that if there is a redeeming feature to the film it was her acting which IMO was so good that she should get nominated for Best Actress. Whether she will win is another story as so far Oprah in The Butler to date gets my nod for the winner at the Oscars but I must say it is very close and I might have to see both before the awards to make my decision.

Suffice it to say, the movie started, a story was told and then there were the rolling credits. Is it worth seeing.....definitely. In fact the score from MRQE.com for the Butler was "69" whereas for Blue Jasmine was "80"

If for nothing else to watch Cate Blanchett in that role was worth the price of admission

Rounding out the acting, I would say that every role was superbly performed. The cast was terrific with many cameo roles. Three that caught my attention were Andrew Dice Clay as Auggi (Jasmine's brother-in-law),Michael Stuhlbarg who plays the dentist hot for Jasmine (he has a huge role in Boardwalk Empire as Arnold Rothstein) and Bobby Cannavale who plays Chili in the film (he was Gyp Rosetti in Boardwalk Empire)

All in all I would say it was worth seeing but just not as good as Match Point or Midnight In Paris

Total run time.....98 minutes

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Match Point, Midnight in Paris and Purple Rose of Cairo, three of my preferred Woodies.

It would be interesting to see what kind of impressionistic rendering of SF he attempts.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
We end up seeing all Woody Allen's films, but I wasn't too thrilled with Blue Jasmine. It was almost boring. I couldn't care about the characters because they were mostly a collection of misfits and people who just weren't particularly kind or thoughtful, so you couldn't "buy into" their problems. If the characters had some redeeming characteristics, I would have felt differently.

Blue Jasmine was nowhere near as good as Match Point, which was superbly executed (sorry about the pun) in all respects and was his best film in at least the last 20 years by a wide margin.

Midnight in Paris was full of redundant scenes and could have been done as a decent half hour TV show. It had the same failings as Cloud Atlas, namely, I don't have to be given ten examples of something to get the writer's message.

People have said, and I have to agree that I don't have the patience to give a screenwriter the use of my time to give them the opportunity to be artsy if there isn't a lot of substance. I'd rather be listening to music.

I told Gail she owes me an action movie!

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I am not a huge Woody Allen fan but enjoyed some of his movies especially Midnight In Paris. I did not enjoy Blue Jasmine it was like passing an automobile accident you just have to look. I felt nothing for the characters even though there acting was good.

Gary, you are wrong about Midnight In Paris "lmao"

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I am not a huge Woody Allen fan but enjoyed some of his movies especially Midnight In Paris. I did not enjoy Blue Jasmine it was like passing an automobile accident you just have to look. I felt nothing for the characters even though there acting was good.

Gary, you are wrong about Midnight In Paris "lmao"

I know, I know, I'm fairly critical of movies. Getting to the theater early for a good seat, having to watch all the pre-movie shows and coming attractions makes for a time investment of more than an hour plus the movie time and travel time. If I'm not thrilled, I feel robbed of my time.

Like I said, I get the theme and writer's message very quickly and if the movie doesn't really grab me, I don't have the patience to give a screenwriter the use of my time for them to attempt being artistic. Maybe it's a shortcoming of mine, but I don't like giving away my time to a screenwriter. I'd rather listen to a symphony for the 50th time.

I like your analogy with Blue Jasmine and the car crash.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Finally saw Blue Jasmine today. I agree with Steve, Cate Blanchett was mesmerizing and should get an Oscar nomination. I thought the editing was phenomenal. Probably enjoyed the movie more than others on the thread; it's certainly not a 'feel good' story but is very well done.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Everybody I know is raving about this movie.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
None from NY.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I thought the movie was good, but not great. Her acting is quite good, but I don't think its enough to win Best Actress. Liked Dice and Saarsgard. I watched Match Point on the return of the trip (New Zealand, so lots of time)- although its a better movie, I still just couldn't get into that one. So depressing and Rhys Meyers was so tiresome, just like the first time I saw it years ago.

I much prefer Midnight in Paris and Vicky Christina Barcelona of the recent Woody Allen pictures.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I thought the movie was good, but not great. Her acting is quite good, but I don't think its enough to win Best Actress. Liked Dice and Saarsgard. I watched Match Point on the return of the trip (New Zealand, so lots of time)- although its a better movie, I still just couldn't get into that one. So depressing and Rhys Meyers was so tiresome, just like the first time I saw it years ago.

I much prefer Midnight in Paris and Vicky Christina Barcelona of the recent Woody Allen pictures.

I agree except I thought Match Point was terrific as well

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing