Oscar Nominations 2023: ‘Everything Everywhere’ Leads With 11 Nods, Followed by ‘Banshees’ and ‘All Quiet

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Everything Everywhere was hardly my favorite movie, and if it weren't for the second half, I might have walked out before the end. But the reason it is highly praised is because it is excellent and creative film making. It is destined to be a cult classic for some time with its weird Twilight Zone meets superhero vibe in a world that ultimately delivers a redeeming human message. Clever as hell, as long as you don't think too hard about it. It also seems to have industry gravitas as a significant post-Covid "the film industry" is back movie. Outstanding acting, and co-directed, it was interesting enough to get you through the many WTF is going-on moments, of which there are many. However, the movie's achievements grew on me more so in retrospect than with the initial viewing.

Very different than Banshees to say the least. With that one, I got angrier the longer I went after watching it because of feeling more and more upset that POS got made at all. I'm serious when I say that if you could tell me what the hell that movie was about, I would genuinely appreciate it. I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't get the joke.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Naylor

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I am curious as to why Everything, Everywhere.....has 2 directors nominated for the film

Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)
Its not unprecedented. Jerome Robbins & Robert Wise (West Side Story) and the Coen brothers (No Country for Old Men) are the only duos to jointly win best director. I wonder if the 2 Daniels divided their responsibilities between the digital portion versus the "filmed" scenes? Or did they do everything together?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
A very thoughtful review of Tár. When I read it I almost missed entirely that it was an Op-Ed by Jason Riley, one of my favorite columnists, as it was the title that caught my eye, not the byline. I've never seen him write a film review as his usual beat is social issues. The review is insightful, as most of his articles are. But for me, it points out the main reason why I doubt it will win best picture. It's almost too hard to believe Hollywood is going to annoint a film for immortality greatness that, as Riley says, is about "liberals eating one of their own".

BTW, very impressed that in a key scene of the movie, when she plays Bach, she absolutely nails Glenn Gould's playing in 5 seconds. Whoever coached her on that knew what the hell they were doing!

Still sad that this year's Rodney Dangerfield of nominees, Top Gun Maverick" has no shot at all.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
A very thoughtful review of Tár. When I read it I almost missed entirely that it was an Op-Ed by Jason Riley, one of my favorite columnists, as it was the title that caught my eye, not the byline. I've never seen him write a film review as his usual beat is social issues. The review is insightful, as most of his articles are. But for me, it points out the main reason why I doubt it will win best picture. It's almost too hard to believe Hollywood is going to annoint a film for immortality greatness that, as Riley says, is about "liberals eating one of their own".

BTW, very impressed that in a key scene of the movie, when she plays Bach, she absolutely nails Glenn Gould's playing in 5 seconds. Whoever coached her on that knew what the hell they were doing!

Still sad that this year's Rodney Dangerfield of nominees, Top Gun Maverick" has no shot at all.
Yeah, Top Gun saved Hollywood and it won’t sniff a big award unfortunately.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I read that Will Smith was feeling hurt when he watched Chris Rock’ Netflix Production. To me it is a must watch if for no other reason than watching Chris get his retribution in the final 5 minutes. I wonder if wife Jada Pinkett Smith will be attending the awards with her son’s best friend.

As Chris Rock said “words only hurt if they are written on a brick”

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Watched Wakanda Forever last night - quite enjoyable and Angela Bassett was terrific. I think she wins over Jamie Lee Curtis (who I found overrated in that role) and Keri Condon (who was better than Colin Farrell) + will be rewarded for a long, successful career.

Reactions: Holli82

Steve Williams

Well Keith you struck out pretty much. Cate Blanchett was robbed but not Brendan Fraser. It matters not if the nominee is in a film that isn’t nominated. All Quiet did well and was still my favorite movie of the year. As for Everything Everywhere it and Banshees were for be unwatchable. I hated them. Gladly Banshees was shut out and IMHO rightfully so.
Most of all I was happy for Brendan Fraser. Austin Butler was my early front runner until I saw The Whale and easily proclaimed him the winner. I hope this resurrects his career
It was also satisfying to see Top Gun win 2 Oscars.

Kimmel is Kimmel and IMO humiliated himself when he mentioned whether people would vote to have Robert Blake in the in
memoriam tribute. Totally unnecessary and totally classless

Reactions: KeithR

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I have not spoken with one person who liked Everything Everywhere.

Not the best year for films. I enjoyed Top Gun but surely not Oscar worthy. There were some moments in Banshees but not an enjoyable film.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Well Keith you struck out pretty much. Cate Blanchett was robbed but not Brendan Fraser. It matters not if the nominee is in a film that isn’t nominated. All Quiet did well and was still my favorite movie of the year. As for Everything Everywhere it and Banshees were for be unwatchable. I hated them. Gladly Banshees was shut out and IMHO rightfully so.
Most of all I was happy for Brendan Fraser. Austin Butler was my early front runner until I saw The Whale and easily proclaimed him the winner. I hope this resurrects his career
It was also satisfying to see Top Gun win 2 Oscars.

Kimmel is Kimmel and IMO humiliated himself when he mentioned whether people would vote to have Robert Blake in the in
memoriam tribute. Totally unnecessary and totally classless
Worst year in ages though after EE won both supporting roles I said live it would sweep the night.

loved the movie though and i bet if you watch again you will too.

Steve Williams

Called it in May…

I understand decisions and respect yours. I have had those walking out of the theater moments with exactly same reaction. Thats why there are film critics.always different sides to a movie. Siskel and Ebert couldn't be beat IMO.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I thought it was a very good show overall with decreased in your face offensive politics and idiotic dresses from previous (there is always some of both). I was thrilled that Brendan Fraser won, and was moved by his humility in accepting the award (as was the audience). Same for Ke Huy Kwan. Also happy for Jaime Lee Curtis who was a surprise. I was hoping Stephanie Hsu would be the sleeper surprise as she was terrific (she also plays Mai in the series, Mrs. Maisel). Although Blanchett was excellent, Yeoh's performance was every bit its equal so I was happy she won as she was fully deserving. Kimmel had some good one-liners that kept the flow moving.

The other observation that washed over me was a general turning of the guard. So many young, talented film makers, screen-writers, actors, etc. Hard to imagine the day has come where seeing Spielberg in the audience seemed like the passing of the torch to some (very talented) wacko with the word "Punk" emblazoned on the back of his jacket. I felt like I was watching the Instagram generation take over Hollywood.

But the very best part of the show was knowing we'll never have to hear about Banshees ever again as it sails off into its well-deserved future of total obscurity.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Here's a very good video that highlights the excellence of film making used in Everything Everywhere. Acting, directing, film editing...it's all there.

Reactions: dminches

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
We just watched RRR and loved it. Fantastic and superb. I just don't understand how it wasn't nominated for more awards including best picture. I guess movies that simply entertain and are enjoyable (like Top Gun Maverick) are just not in fashion anymore. Yet Banshees gets multiple nods? I just don't get it. It may not have had Nazi's, but it didn't say anything bad about gender or sexual preference and the white guys were the bad guys. What's not to like? Don't pay attention to the 3+ hours. They fly by quickly. It was sheer entertainment and a joy to watch. Great reviews across the board at MRQE
I give up. Like I said, I just don't get it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing