Brazilian soccer legend Pelé dies at age 82

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Pelé is widely regarded as the greatest soccer player of all time........

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I was fortunate to see him play in his last year as a member of the NY Cosmos.

Reactions: Argonaut

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I did not know much about soccer. On the Wide World of Sports on ABC, I heard this news about a black Brazilian p;ayer who was supposedly the world's best. I watched the match. There was way too little scoring for American fans. But perhaps the most popular sport in the world. Pele was standing in front of the net. His teammate kicked the ball directly at his chest. I thought it was some sort of play where the ball would bounce off his chest and another teammate would make a play. Instead, all of sudden his feet replaced the position of his head. Without turning around, he kicked the ball into the net before the defense had any time to react. It is now called the bicycle kick.
Brazil declared him a national treasure. The rule was that no other countries could poach the national treasure of other countries. it was designed to protect treasure and art. So, Pele was a Brazilian for life.
RIP

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
You can't imagine how proud Pelé makes us Brazilians. He stopped playing 45 years ago. But is still one of the most known persons around the world. On his time he rivaled Coca Cola and the Beatles with his popularity.

Many Brazilian reporters tell stories how they had their life saved by Pelé during wars coverage. Sebastião Salgado, the great photographer tells that he was about to die in Africa taking pictures of dead bodies in a river. He spoke the name Pelé to say that he was Brazilian and not French. This saved him.

In fact Edson, his name, died. Pelé will live forever.

P.S. on his last days he asked his family that the funeral should take place only after President's Lula inauguration on January 1st. He knows he would compete very much with it.

Attachments

• IMG_1030.jpeg
    IMG_1030.jpeg
    425.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Here is a google translation of Salgado's interview to Playboy magazine.

PLAYBOY -- Have you ever had a situation that you thought you weren't going to escape?

SEBASTIÃO SALGADO -- There was. In May 1994, with the fight between the Tutsis and the Hutus, there was a massacre in Rwanda. A large group of Tutsis began to leave the country and enter Tanzania. I went to Tanzania and hired a Tutsi who spoke French. The plan was to go back to Rwanda. After a long walk we reached a river where the Tutsis were fleeing to Tanzania. There was a number of dead descending the river -- there was a waterfall a little above and I counted, in half an hour, 29 bodies falling. The little boat that brought the fugitives came back empty and I went to ask the staff if I could go in it to Rwanda.

Suddenly, there were about ten people with machetes around me. I look at my interpreter and he was pale, he was gray.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"They're going to kill us. They think you, wanting to move to the other side, are a friend of the Hutus. And they are suspicious that you came from France" --

The French were allies of the Hutus in that conflict.

"No way! I come from Brazil and such..." In French, the guy translating.

"Tell them I'm from Pelé's country!"

Then the situation has already changed.

Pelé is really well known and in a way saved my life.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
A younger Brazilian reporter. that's what he wrote today.

For more than 60 years, Brazilians who wanted to win the sympathy of their foreign interlocutors used and abused Pelé's name. In the last four, if they wanted to attract the pity of others, they cited Bolsonaro's - but this is another story that ends in less than 48 hours.

Starting a conversation talking about the football of Ronaldo, Ronaldinho Gaúcho, Romário and Zico has always opened doors to us in difficult journalistic coverage held outside the country. For me, however, no "keyword" was able to unlock paths like Pelé's.

Covering the war for the independence of Timor-Leste, a small and brave country in Asia, in 1998, I spent unharmed in Indonesian Army checkpoints in the interior of the island on behalf of the king of football.

When they stopped the car I was in and pointed rifles at me when they realized that I was a foreigner in the wrong place, I confess that I said "Saya tingal di Brasil! Saya teman di Pelé!" - something like "I'm from Brazil! Pelé's friend!" It may sound ridiculous, but these are the phrases I needed to know in Indonesian bahasa.

Of course I never had the pleasure of knowing the myth, but they didn't know it.

No matter the place, from the dirt roads of the Maubessi valleys, passing through the highway to Baucau to the entrance to the Ermera market, the invading soldiers knew the king. And they liked to hear about him. With the help of a Timorese who spoke Portuguese, one of the official languages of the country, I entertained them, talking about Edson that I never had the pleasure of seeing play.

For the most difficult cases, I adopted a secret weapon: a handful of national team shirts (unofficial, of course, sucks CBF), with the number 10 and the name of Pelé, which I had taken from Brazil. An old military man who received one of them was so grateful that he even warned where the other checkpoint would be later.

It's amazing how a brand like Pelé's is linked to joy, being able, for a moment, to make people forget what they were doing there. And we are talking about an Army that helped in one of the greatest genocides of the 20th century, with estimates of deaths that reach more than 40% of the population at the beginning of the conflict, which lasted 24 years.

Or if they remembered where they would, in fact, like to be.

In 100 years, the term "Pelé" will continue to be synonymous with good things, opening doors and being a reason for celebration, a fact for which we Brazilians should be proud.

With his death, the world, which turns in solidarity with us, remembers that the meaning of Brazil is the joy provided by the king, and not the depression caused by the false myth.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing