Buyer Beware: Dennis Foley and Acoustic Fields

Did you get to download the plans and were the plans any good?
...yes, I did buy the bundled plans 5+ years ago. Some kind of sale. Maybe 25 bucks! No idea what it is now.

Personally, I don't like the guy's "style" but it's a big world. That is not to say he doesn't have knowledge that works in particular scenarios, but when I have spoken to him, he reads as sketchy to me. And I surely would not buy that carbon from him.

I built the 165 lb. bass trap, and two quad diffusors. I have had them in place almost five years, and I like them.

A whole lotta cuttin' if you do the quads! Pic angles look odd, but quads are approximately 24" x 48" x 10"

Trap is about 59" x 28" x 17"IMG_1029.jpegIMG_1030.jpeg

Thank you SeagoatLeo & MarkusBarkus, I am looking at the All-In-One Acoustic Treatment DIY Build Plans. It’s at $49.00 down from $299.95.

I am interested in the Quadratic diffusers; I have a friend who is a carpenter that can help me build them.

I was thinking of buying the foam sheets from Acoustic Fields, so I can build the absorbers myself, but since it looks like he may not send out the goods I’ll give them a miss. If I can get the plans, my friend can help me build the Quadratic diffusers. At $49.00, are the DIY plans worth it assuming I can download the plans once paid for?

...I think it is worth it. Now that I think about it, I did buy a pack of his foam. I do not recall what it cost then. Upon examination, perhaps some foam from Primacoustic or GIK would work as well. His foam doesn't *look* special, though I recognize it could have some spec he requested from the manufacturer.

MarkusBarkus, thanks for your reply. At $49, while on sale I will not lose too much should it not work out.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus
Thanks MarkusBarkus, just bought and downloaded the plans.

@TooCool4 I don't recall the spec from memory, but I built with Baltic birch plywood, and it worked very well. Good Luck and how about a pic when you finally get them done? Best...

Thank you SeagoatLeo & MarkusBarkus, I am looking at the All-In-One Acoustic Treatment DIY Build Plans. It’s at $49.00 down from $299.95.

I am interested in the Quadratic diffusers; I have a friend who is a carpenter that can help me build them.

I was thinking of buying the foam sheets from Acoustic Fields, so I can build the absorbers myself, but since it looks like he may not send out the goods I’ll give them a miss. If I can get the plans, my friend can help me build the Quadratic diffusers. At $49.00, are the DIY plans worth it assuming I can download the plans once paid for?
Foley said I could be credited for the money he owed me by purchasing $15K or $30K of quadradic diffusers for my front and rear walls at a depth of 14"!!! The room already lost 16" to his wall design construction so my room is slightly less than 20X15X10, with the suspended foam absorption on the ceiling, a foot less and side walls 4" or 6" less per side. The bass traps apparently worked as I have great bass everywhere in the room with my Von Schweikert VR9 SE Mk2 (upgraded) speakers which include 15" Rel subs to the rear with 1000 w Foundation amps.

Those are very fine looking diffusers you built. The GIK unit I purchased had only a few widely spaced reflector spaces (8), solidly built but the back panel was glued&stapled on. The backing fell off out of the box. Funny that the rear looked like a mirror image of the front diffuser. Either side could have worked.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu