California Audio Show July 19 - 21, 2024

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Clarisys Audio and WestminsterLab Together at California Audio Show July 19 - 21, 2024!

Come hear the West Coast debut of the Clarisys Audio Piccolo loudspeakers driven by WestminsterLab electronics, with digital playback by the latest LampizatOr DAC, the Poseidon.

Ron Resnick of Audio Cafe and Gary Leeds of Hear This will be co-hosting Parlor Suite 1107. Don't miss this wonderful musical combination!

Reactions: ClarisysAudio
Clarysis comments on the other thread.

Also at show: Wolf Van Langen setup.

Talk about a mouth watering eye candy altar for old school tube-o-philes and vinyl lovers, this is it. There was even an exotic record weight that looked like Pasha’s crown, the thing musta been four or five inches high with girders and bearings and open spires and shiny bits. It didn’t fire lasers into the firmament, but I was expecting it at any moment.

This was a field coil designed speaker with a ‘full range’ cone and two large dipole woofers. Only vinyl was played when I was there but there was a DAC of some kind on static display. It’s the third field coil design I have ever heard.

What can I say, it sounded excellent. My planar ears detected a bit of resonance, as they usually do with non planar speakers, but that tends to go away after a bit.

My only surprise was it seemed kind of MVL system i.e. minimal volume level. Above that volume level, it was dynamically vibrant and excellent. Below that volume level, it faded a bit. At level, it would rip your wig with dynamics and really sounded good in a nearly horn-y way..

It also seemed that the volume level for the quiet bits needed to ramp up to the threshold. Of course, this was in a room with the air conditioning making some contributory noise. The integrated amp looked like 101D type DHT tubes driving Takatsuki 300b tubes.

DHT, vinyl heaven? It’s a good candidate. I didn’t even check out cost, I imagine it’s up there for this level of audio artistry and craft.

Sound Lab on first floor: I have always loved Sound Lab speakers at shows and this was no exception. Also the demo had the happiest speaker and setup wrangler ever, he was enjoying himself instead of looking like he could direct porcupine quills at anybody questioning his precious. He was funny and having fun, I guess like audiophiles should be doing.

I was nearly tilted over the edge when he played the vinyl of the Ormandy/PSO Beethoven Ninth chorale segment. It really sent me, but it usually does in just about any context. With the imaging, you could really envisage the chorale groups stacked to the rafters.

One odd observation was the narrowness of the sweet spot. One had to be very close to center to get the whole panorama rather than right or left weighted. However, it looked like a near field setup too close to the towers rather than a more appropriate distance, and the towers were toed in quite a bit.

I spent basically all of my time at these two and the Clarysis room.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dierkx1
Thank you for your kind comments about our room at the show.

The equipment included the Wolf Von Langa London loudspeaker, Germany, SW1X Audio Design electronics, England, PranaWire cables, power conditioning, isolation devices and ground conditioning, U.S.A., TW Acustic Raven turntable, Germany, Primary Control field coil stabilized 12” unipivot tonearm, Netherlands, Fuuga cartridge, Japan, Dalby Audio Design record weight and platter mat, England and more…

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu