Can you make the objective case that Qobuz is better than Tidal?

NickMimi

Jan 13, 2023
My completely subjective opinion. I have been using both Tidal an Qobuz for several years now. Initially on their own but now via ROON. My front end has increased dramatically over the years. My initial impressions were that Qobuz always had an edge over Tidal and particularly i did not enjoy a type of top end hiss that most MQA recordings had. In my case this was true for at least 2 years using lower tier equipment, a tablet at one point, and in general not having done massive upgrades to the front end source.

My opinion has changed in the past year. I had Verizon come and re-wire a fiber run for FIOS direct to my music room. A new up-to-date router was installed, quality CAT8 ethernet cable was run, Innuos PhoenexNet was added. The outlet was upgraded, the service was re-wired, the power is a dedicated stand alone circuit to the music room.

The biggest change was that an Alpha Berkeley Reference DAC with full MQA abilities was put in line. I now find Tidal pleasing and no longer does it play second fiddle to Qobuz in my selections being passed via the Berkeley unit.

My next "tweak and upgrade" is to get off ROON completely. I use Innuos streamers and personally find their Innuos sense software in conjunction with Quboz and now Tidal "better" in clarity and detail by a small margin over the ROON application based on the equipment I am using. My ears, my rooms, my equipment, my opinion, my choices to make.

This is such an extremely subjective topic with so very many variables. Yes, I used to prefer Qobuz by a considerable margin, my opinion on the quality of TIDAL performance has changed for me lately and I no longer view either service lacking in SQ, my choices are now based more on finding quality recordings with characterictics i personally prefer and availability of the music itself.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
thank you for your response.
Just to clarify my intent was to avoid basically conducting a poll on what members like best. Indeed it does not have to be a binary choice. It is possible some could prefer another service. Spotify for example.
Ultimately SQ is the most important. Other factors may include:
1. price
2. content
3/.noise
4. the need for ancillary equipment both hardware and software.
5 support for such platforms as Roon and MQA
6. he ability to select and remember music you like. Based on both genre and recording quality.
To me those are some the objective factors. It is much better than just taking a vote

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I've had both for multiple years. I probably use Qobuz about 95% of the time. The only time I use TIDAL is when I can't find an artist on Qobuz.

I have never conducted an A/B comparison of Tidal and Qobuz. It is just not that important to me. The reason I use Qobuz is that everyone says it is better, and that is good enough for me. I am not sure I could hear a difference even if I conducted a test. I guess I am no help.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Everyone syas its better? Not me. :cool:

Reactions: bryans and Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Qobuz use to be better IMO, but in the last year or so TIDAL has taken the lead IMO.

Reactions: Gregadd

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I should have taken a poll. It reminds of Beta vs VHS. Mac vs PC.

Reactions: Pokey77 and Audire

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing