Cartridge Suggestion

Grady98

Apr 27, 2018
East Coast
Please give me some suggestions to help my research and decide on a cartridge. For reference, I was using a Transfiguration Protues until a recent problem diagnosed as a “coil malfunction” after 500 hours unfortunately. Currently using my backup Ortofon Jubilee, love it but it is sitting at around 1,200 hours and 12 years old.

My analog rig is a Basis Vector 4 tonearm, Basis 2200 sig table driving an Allnic H3000 phono pre. My initail interests are in the following order:

Ortofon Black Cadenza (cousin to the Jubilee)
Lyra Kleos
Ortofon Windfeld TI
Sound-Smith Zephyer Star or Sussuro or Paua or ???

Thanks in advance for any input since there is no dress rehearsal with phono carts.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I recently bought a new Etsurro Urushi Cobalt and it is an absolutely outstanding cartridge.
Balances all the virtues.

Grady98

Apr 27, 2018
East Coast
Thanks for the feedback. That is my understanding of the Windfeld, might be a little warm for my tastes and system.

Even though I use Thiels which have the reputation of being hot they aren’t in my room. I enjoyed the Proteus and all the detail and textures. I also listen to mostly classic rock, indie, blues, folk, jazz. Most anything but classical and hip hop. So I need a revealing dynamic cartridge.

Never thought I would own a Lyra because of potential leanness. But the detail and purity I’ve read about interests me.

westlower

May 29, 2019
Another Etsuro Urushi Cobalt user here!...

It's an incredible cartridge, balanced and classy.

I've had the privilage of hearing the complete range of Etsuro cartridges all the way up to Special editions of both the Etsuro Urushi Bordeaux and Top of the Range Gold cartridges on many occasions and the approach to presentation from the whole range is very special indeed.
The Etsuro Urushi Bordeaux 'special' was a real sweet spot!

For what it's worth, I have a friend who has just replaced his Transfiguration diamond cantilever cartridge for an Etsuro Urushi Cobalt.. and he has no regrets at all.

Good luck with the search

Last edited:
Reactions: Barry2013

Grady98

Apr 27, 2018
East Coast
Thanks guys, have not heard the Etsuro line before, looks interesting!

I hope they are more stable than Transfiguration, part of the reason I am considering the cartridges I listed.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
The Soundsmith carts aren't a good match for SUTs. So I'd suggest avoiding those with the Allnic.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
why is that bazelio?
It's a low output high inductance moving iron cart. Even at the max load spec of 470ohm there will be high frequency rolloff. That's a 1:10 SUT in to a 47k ohm phono, and might not be enough gain for the low cartridge output. But then increasing the SUT gain will worsen the rolloff. Best bet is to avoid using a SUT with the Soundsmiths IMO.

Grady98

Apr 27, 2018
East Coast
I ended up with a Ortofon Cadenza Black and I must say it is excellent. It betters my former reference Transfiguration Proteus....a nice surprise!

Reactions: audio.bill

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing