Charles' Little 2-ch Hi-Fi System...

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
they are needed for the tapedeck then. I have no experience with Reel tape (other than shows). Cool stuff anyway1

Reactions: Chops

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Purchased a somewhat mint JVC XL-V411 CD player. I say "somewhat" mint because once it arrived via FedEx, the display got knocked crooked, five plastic tabs got broken off, and the motorized volume was making noise, but not moving. I opened it up yesterday, disassembled more than half of it, and got everything straightened out (pun intended) and un-jammed the volume knob. Other than that, the unit is excellent, everything operates, it sounds amazingly good, has a coax output if I want to add a DAC at some point, the remote control looks almost new, and the manual is still sealed in its factory plastic sleeve from 1989.

I also swapped out the APC H15 power conditioner for the much older but totally mint Monster HTS 5000. Reason being that I think the APC might be on its way out. A couple of times in the past week or two, the system connected to it shuts down for a second then comes back on, yet the other half of the system at the front of the room is unaffected, nor is the computer (running Roon Core) and the modem remain on as well in the rear of the room.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Did a little upgrade tonight. Out with the Ortofon 2M Bronze, in with the...

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Nice!

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Good ole' Amazon delivery today... Hudson Hifi acrylic mat and gel stylus cleaner.

To my amazement, the acrylic mat is no joke. Bass and lower midrange has tightened up and become cleaner and more defined. Bass also seems to reach a little deeper. Everything else from what I can tell has remained the same with the exception of a bit more open sound stage. All in all, a nice simple upgrade for only 24 bucks, ordered last night and arrived about 2 hours ago.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Again... Not that anyone here cares obviously, but...

Been doing a lot of experimenting lately which has gotten my vinyl system closer to where I want it. The past couple of weeks have included a new record clamp/weight, a new Nasotec swivel headshell, four different cartridges (more importantly the stylus type), and various alignments. The fifth cartridge is arriving tomorrow which will hopefully put an end to my experimenting and/or search as it is technically the best of both worlds (cartridge type and stylus type).

Naturally, the higher quality the stylus, the more detail and stereo separation there is, and with less surface noise and vanishing IGD. The Nasotec headshell cleans everything up that much more. A very clean and solidified sound overall, even more defined stereo separation, and bass that seems more effortless and open. Quite an interesting headshell that I'm glad I discovered.

Nagaoka M-110

Sumiko Blue Point No.3

Ortofon 2M Bronze

Ortofon 2M Black

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
No surprise here, but the one sided conversation goes on...

The new cart came in and I have it up and running. I only have about 2 hours on it, but it already sounds better than all of the other carts combined. I hear the break-in period is around 50 hours, so it can only get better. Right now, it's fuller, more detailed, snappier, punchier, and just cleaner sounding with very little to no surface noise.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Well, curiosity got the best of me, and I decided to do another experiment. I played the "A" side of each album listed below. These are very familiar albums to me, and I have already played them all at least twice this past week alone, not including today. These were played with the AT-OC9XSL and Nasotec headshell. After I played these four albums (A-side only) back to back, I went to work on swapping the AT cart over to the stock Technics headshell and making the alignment with the stock Technics overhang tool.

Swing Out Sister - It's Better To Travel
Eurythmics - Savage
U2 - Joshua Tree
Eastern Airlines - Images In Flight (mono)

Playing these four albums again now with the AT cart mounted on the Technics headshell revealed a few things. Bass has considerably more definition, detail and impact. Midrange and vocals are more precise and spacious. The treble is very clean and polished. Stage depth has increased with a natural amount of space around instruments and singers. And to top it all off, there's still zero IGD anywhere on any of the albums.

Tonality-wise, everything holds true for the mono Eastern Airlines album. The center image is spot on with even a sense of depth within the recording.

In short, even though the Nasotec swivel headshell showed great improvements with the Ortofon and Sumiko carts over the stock Technics headshell, the exact opposite is true when it comes to the AT cart. This cart is a much better match to the Technics cart. With the AT-OC9XSL / Nasotec headshell combo, I always got a slight low rumble during very quiet passages and in between tracks. And in direct comparison to the Technics headshell, the treble took on an almost grainy texture with the Nasotec headshell.

Apparently, some carts such as the Ortofon 2M series greatly benefit from the Nasotec swivel headshell, and other carts such as the AT-OC9XSL do not. So with that being said, the Nasotec will be getting packed back up and shipped back.

Reactions: Al M.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
A few new pics of the system at a totally different angle. The 32" monitor on the back wall is connected to the tiny PC running Roon Core. Everything is hidden in that buffet table, and that huge monitor needs to go and a small monitor put inside the table as well. That wall is prime real estate for some acoustic panels!

Also, those LPs on the wall are damaged and are on pre-existing nails in the wall. Though I do want to do some kind of "wall art" with old non-playable LPs eventually.

Reactions: tomsch63

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Made a couple of changes to the system recently. First was getting rid of that giant 32" monitor on the back wall behind my listening seat for my Roon Core PC. It has been replaced with a little 8" monitor that is now hidden in the cabinet along with the rest of the gear. Not that it matters in this particular situation, but this little monitor has excellent picture and color quality. All of only $82 shipped! It's perfect for just running Roon on.

The second change was swapping out the AudioQuest CV-8 (72 volt DBS system) speaker cables with the Tara Labs The One CX cables. These Maggie 1.7i's take extremely well to cable changes because holy cow, what an improvement! A wider sound stage with greater space and air within the stage, more grunt and energy in the bass and a more natural, realistic body in the midrange. Treble also benefits some with a bit more snap and refinement.

Reactions: christoph

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Very nice, beautiful pictures all!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Charles!

I’m sorry I did not see sooner your prior posts on this thread.

Thank you very much for your detailed reports on the cartridge and headshell combinations!

It also seems like the Tara Labs The One speaker cable is an unambiguous improvement. Congratulations!

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Reactions: Al M.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Hi Charles!

I’m sorry I did not see sooner your prior posts on this thread.

Thank you very much for your detailed reports on the cartridge and headshell combinations!

It also seems like the Tara Labs The One speaker cable is an unambiguous improvement. Congratulations!
Hello Ron!

No worries at all.

And you're welcome. The headshell was something I found interesting and wanted to give it a try. Unfortunately, even though at first it seemed to be an improvement, over a short period of time and also going back to the stock Technics headshell, it was apparent that the Technics headshell was/is the better performer, in my system anyway.

Those Tara Labs cables are something else. I knew with my last couple of speakers, these cables made improvements as well, but those improvement were nowhere near as drastic as they are with the Maggies. It just goes to show how resolving and revealing these 1.7i's really are and how they react to changes upstream, including cables.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
One major improvement (cosmetic/visual more than anything else), I installed curtains on the front window, and removed both of those ugly garish homemade hillbilly looking things the previous owners threw up over the windows. Man I'm glad those are gone. I honestly don't know why I waited nearly a year to remove them. Geeze, the 1st of next month it'll be a full year!

Anyway, the curtains... I really don't notice any difference in sound that I can tell yet, which I suppose is a good thing. They just make the room look a lot better, and the ceiling a bit taller. And of course the main goal, to make the window look centered on the wall instead of 7 inches to the right.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Great to see the progression of your system. Are those cat guards at the bottom of the speakers? :)

Thank you. Yes, those are cat guards, though they're really not needed as the kitties never show any interest in the Maggies. But I have them in place just in case they decide to go wild on me. LOL

There's going to be even more progression towards the end of this month in the way of some GIK Acoustics panels for the room finally. I can't wait!

Reactions: Leekg

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Here's the system in our (new to us) home that we just purchased. I changed things up a bit with the system, pulling the Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2 amp out and bringing back these little NuPrime STA-9 amps. Also brought back the Polk Audio PSW-505 subs. It's hard to tell from the pics, but the main speakers are pulled 5' out from the wall, and they can come out further if need be. So far, so good, for only living in the house for a week.

A late congratulations on the home purchase, or should I say stereo room purchase?

The room has got to be the most important factor in this hobby, that is unless you are into headphones.

I know that we both suffered in our old rooms, and advice was hard to take at times with an inability change much.

Happy listening.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Do not get discouraged by no responses, keep posting. I have been following this thread with interest since day one as I suppose others have been also. I have been posting about my system for awhile with little to no fanfare but my system costs less than a pait of some folks speaker cables. While my system is not 6 digits plus I have met and become friends with those that are and it is really a great crowd. Think of it this way if you are posting about your Corvette in a Bugatti forum you are not likley to get a lot of hits.

I have not really had any questions until now.
I am a Maggie guy and have been eyeballing the Emotiva amp to drive them. Do you feel it is a great match?

Reactions: Glide3 and Chops

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing