Cheap and natural sounding SPDIF RCA or AES/EBU cable?

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I’ve ordered some Belden 9497 speaker, 1192A RCA and Gotham GAC-4 XLR cables to try instead of my Transparent Reference and Kubala Sosna after reading Tango’s and several other threads about natural sound and the use of professional cables instead of audiophile junk ones:).

Now, I also want to try an SPDIF RCA or AES/EBU connection between my Aurender and Lampi. What is the better option: RCA or AES/EBU? Could you recommend a specific digital Belden or Gotham cable?

Many thanks in advance,
Aziz

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I’ve ordered some Belden 9497 speaker, 1192A RCA and Gotham GAC-4 XLR cables to try instead of my Transparent Reference and Kubala Sosna after reading Tango’s and several other threads about natural sound and the use of professional cables instead of audiophile junk ones:).

Now, I also want to try an SPDIF RCA or AES/EBU connection between my Aurender and Lampi. What is the better option: RCA or AES/EBU? Could you recommend a specific digital Belden or Gotham cable?

Many thanks in advance,
Aziz
If you look for a pro grade cable, I would add Canare LV-77S. Really good sounding, with the original crimp connectors. That would be a SPDIF recommendation.

Reactions: abeidrov

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
I recently bought the Empirical Design S/PDIF RCA and am very happy. Excellent cable, cheap and way better than my previous Nordost Blue Heaven. In fact for the first time I felt the RCA bettered my USB on the lampi big7. The sound through the ED is meatier, with better dynamics and a wider soundstage.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Thank you all for the recommendations.
Out of curiosity I’ve connected my Gryphon VIP non-digital XLR to AES ports of my server and dac. It’s working:) I did a quick comparison to Sablon USB and the difference is really minor. I slightly prefer USB as it’s a bit fuller sounding. It should sound much better with a proper digital AES cable, shouldn’t it? Also, I’ve never used the AES/EBU ports, so it may be a matter of breaking in.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Thank you all for the recommendations.
Out of curiosity I’ve connected my Gryphon VIP non-digital XLR to AES ports of my server and dac. It’s working:) I did a quick comparison to Sablon USB and the difference is really minor. I slightly prefer USB as it’s a bit fuller sounding. It should sound much better with a proper digital AES cable, shouldn’t it? Also, I’ve never used the AES/EBU ports, so it may be a matter of breaking in.
At this moment the debate between digital inputs is really coming down to the specific circumstances. How well are they implemented in the source/receiver etc. Just take your time and try it both ways, that would be my tip.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Quick update: I‘ve bought DH Labs D-110 AES/EBU cord. It’s better than Gryphon VIP one. It is very smooth even compared to Sablon USB. Maybe a bit less resolving, but it could be an advantage. Interesting that I can play both DSD and DXD files through the AES port, Aurender must somehow convert them into lower res PCM, but I have not enabled DSD to PCM conversion in the Aurender settings.
Also, on some tracks the playback got interrupted, and I had to restart Lampi to restore the normal operation. Strange.

Reactions: jonathanhorwich

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
I am using the Mogami 2497 with KLE silver RCA between my CD transport and dac , a very good cable. I have changed all cables in my system from very expensive high end cables and I am now using only Belden 9497 and Mogami IC`s. Very happy and a lot of money saved. I am done with expensive cables, it is all a hype IMO. But, one must dare to try!

JP

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Has anyone compared DH Labs and Oyaide?
Thanks in advance.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Just ordered Oyaide DB-510 SPDIF cable with BNC connectors, will compare it to DH Labs AES/EBU. Maybe the BNC connection will solve my 24/192 skipping issue.

rossb

May 24, 2017
I have recently replaced my Shunyata ETron Python AES/EBU cable with a cheap Van Damme cable I bought somewhere. It sounds better - much better. I ended up selling the Shunyata. I also have a DH Labs 110 ohm cable. The Van Damme cable beats it as well.

I have a bunch of Van Damme speaker cables and interconnects which sound pretty ordinary (I use Furutech interconnects and speaker cables), but the Van Damme digital cable is outstanding.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I’ve just replaced a $8500 speaker cable with the one that costs $130 and I am shocked:) Our hobby is full of surprises :cool:

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
I’ve just replaced a $8500 speaker cable with the one that costs $130 and I am shocked:) Our hobby is full of surprises :cool:
Would be interesting to know what $130 cable that is. Thx

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Last edited:

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
And what was the other one? :oops:
Please, have a look at the first post.
I do not want to jump to any conclusions at the moment. I will continue using Belden and Gotham cables for several weeks and then switch back to my old ones. What strikes me now is how organic everything sounds. It is more noticeable with digital, where I use Belden RCA, than with vinyl, where I put Gotham XLR.
I think I am beginning to understand what other people mean by ”natural sound” :) .

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing