Compact, Quiet Component Cooling Fans

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
The technician who did the latest upgrades on my Pathos TT amp, which runs hot, suggested that a cooling fan would extend he useful life of capacitors and other components. I did some research online and came across AC Infinity (https://www.acinfinity.com/) which makes a range of compact, quiet, relatively inexpensive cooling fans for audio components. The fans I bought (see photo) have silicone feet and can be mounted in various positions. There are three speed settings the lowest of which is inaudible during playback. They can be powered from a USB IMG_0424.jpg port or wall socket.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thank you. I have been looking for something similar as a solution to my very warm Pass Labs phono stage. My Pass amps are very hot too. They are all heavily biased into Class A and these fans are worth considering. I also wonder if cooling down the area around the components will in fact increase the bias as they adjust to maintain a temperature. Perhaps this will improve the sonics as I do think my system sounds better in the winter than it does in the summer when the room is really warm. When they say leave plenty of ventilation around these Pass components, they mean it.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi Peter,

My X250.5, which runs a lot in Class A, is 14 years old and still going strong. It is well ventilated.

Reactions: PeterA

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
They look very good--I use these-another possibility
BD

Reactions: Bobvin and CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I replaced the internal fans of my MC2 S1400 monoblocks with Noctuas too.
:)

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Thank you. I have been looking for something similar as a solution to my very warm Pass Labs phono stage. My Pass amps are very hot too. They are all heavily biased into Class A and these fans are worth considering. I also wonder if cooling down the area around the components will in fact increase the bias as they adjust to maintain a temperature. Perhaps this will improve the sonics as I do think my system sounds better in the winter than it does in the summer when the room is really warm. When they say leave plenty of ventilation around these Pass components, they mean it.
Good Morning Peter, I had to move my Pass amp out of the open rack as it still needed more “room” to breathe.. They do get toasty.. Every amp is biased in a warm room for a few days by Pass so each unit is adjusted and sounds the same when it leaves the factory.. The heat is really controlled very well inside the unit, which is why the outside parts and heat sinks are So hot, efficiently removing heat from the internal components. The original Aleph amps heat sinks would turn bluish in color from heat, yet these amps were totally reliable even decades later. The only detriment is in 15 to 20 years, the caps will dry out and need to be replaced. Just the nature of the beast. I wouldn’t worry too much about reliability with their amps.. My pass preamp runs quite warm too, but all the specific internal components are overly heatsinked to handle and transfer the heat safely..
I built their Pass ACA amp and it runs really hot !! You can’t lay your hand on the heat sinks, So I backed down the bias of the output devices, it ran cooler but didnt sound good.. So I bumped it back as defined by pass and accept the fact that it’s designed to run hot..

Reactions: PeterA

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I tried searching AS to see what 1"-2" external (USB powered) fan everyone was using on their fanless mini-pc cases a few years back to keep them cool enough they functioned at all (much less at a sonically heightened state). Instances where heat dissipation capability was continually overwhelmed did prove even a small amount of forced air strategically placed over a heatsink had a measurable impact on electronic and audible performance.

Maybe someone within that DIY crowd gravitating over here could prove to be more helpful in locating the exact model. I'm operating off memory of an industry member posting photo of their personal "box" with said fan.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I’ve built many “silent” computers over the years. The Noctua fans are great, as are the Nexus silent fans. https://silentpc.com/quiet-nexus-fans

I don’t recall the fans used on my ARC REF160 monos, but I do remember checking and they were a brand often used in “silent” pc builds. Nothing fancy, just very quiet.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing