Contemporary Vintage Design => my way to Line Magnetic Audio

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
The LM845 amplifier's sound quality is perceived as average when using the provided tubes. However, a significant improvement can be achieved by upgrading to higher-quality 300B and 845 tubes. It's worth noting that the LM845 features a distinct circuit design, making it difficult to directly compare it to the 211 amplifier, as they are not exactly equivalent in terms of specifications and performance.

Moreover, the LM845 has the potential to produce a wonderful and colourful sound similar to the AS Series amplifier, depending on the tube configuration and type used.

The AS Series of products is specifically designed to cater to those who appreciate the vintage sound of old-era tube amplifiers.

Having experienced both the LM Field Coils and the AS Series amplifiers and speakers, I am familiar with their distinct characteristics. While the LM Field Coils are known for their highly coloured sound, the AS buffer and CD Player also contribute to the vintage tube amplifier experience.

Considering your description, it's possible that the LM845's performance you encountered might have been influenced by the use of sub-standard provided tubes. Upgrading to better-quality tubes could potentially enhance its sound and overall performance significantly

You've perfectly captured the essence of the AS Series amplifiers' deliberate design. Their intentional coloration imparts a distinct tube mid-centric bloom that appeals to certain listeners who enjoy a warmer, vintage tube amplifier sound. However, it's essential to recognize that this particular coloration might not be everyone's preference.

While the AS Series amplifiers are undeniably good in their own right, their emphasis on coloration may cause them to lack some finer details and transparency in the sound, which could limit their suitability for certain genres or styles of music playback. It all comes down to personal taste and the type of sound signature one prefers in their audio equipment.

In summary, the AS Series amplifiers' deliberate coloration offers a unique and pleasing experience to those who appreciate it, but it may not align with the preferences of listeners seeking more transparency and detailed sound reproduction in their music.

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
The LM845 amplifier's sound quality is perceived as average when using the provided tubes. However, a significant improvement can be achieved by upgrading to higher-quality 300B and 845 tubes. It's worth noting that the LM845 features a distinct circuit design, making it difficult to directly compare it to the 211 amplifier, as they are not exactly equivalent in terms of specifications and performance.

Moreover, the LM845 has the potential to produce a wonderful and colourful sound similar to the AS Series amplifier, depending on the tube configuration and type used.

The AS Series of products is specifically designed to cater to those who appreciate the vintage sound of old-era tube amplifiers.

Having experienced both the LM Field Coils and the AS Series amplifiers and speakers, I am familiar with their distinct characteristics. While the LM Field Coils are known for their highly coloured sound, the AS buffer and CD Player also contribute to the vintage tube amplifier experience.

Considering your description, it's possible that the LM845's performance you encountered might have been influenced by the use of sub-standard provided tubes. Upgrading to better-quality tubes could potentially enhance its sound and overall performance significantly

You've perfectly captured the essence of the AS Series amplifiers' deliberate design. Their intentional coloration imparts a distinct tube mid-centric bloom that appeals to certain listeners who enjoy a warmer, vintage tube amplifier sound. However, it's essential to recognize that this particular coloration might not be everyone's preference.

While the AS Series amplifiers are undeniably good in their own right, their emphasis on coloration may cause them to lack some finer details and transparency in the sound, which could limit their suitability for certain genres or styles of music playback. It all comes down to personal taste and the type of sound signature one prefers in their audio equipment.

In summary, the AS Series amplifiers' deliberate coloration offers a unique and pleasing experience to those who appreciate it, but it may not align with the preferences of listeners seeking more transparency and detailed sound reproduction in their music.
Not at all, we used a variety of tubes in either, NOS included, and although I don’t use the stock tubes in the AS-125, I agree it strikes me as less of a “necessity” to upgrade in the sense that one is going to get that rich and lush sound no matter what. What Telefunken ECC83, Melz 1578 and Audio Note AN-4242E molybdenum plates bring to the table in the AS-125 is primarily transparency and resolution, as well as greater extension at both ends of the spectrum. There’s more of a fundamental change in character upgrading tubes in the LM-219iA or LM-845 Premium. Would like to add that this only adds to the problem of them hardly being competitive in their price range. The same money will buy an Amplifon SET42 Special Edition with all NOS tubes and V-Cap CuTF coupling capacitor upgrade, lifting build and parts, not to mention sound quality to an endgame performance level usually attainable only at two or three times the cost. Like I said, the AS-125 is more of a fun alternative in this context, not that it needs an excuse for being just that, not in my book anyways.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

Last edited:

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Would like to add that this only adds to the problem of them hardly being competitive in their price range. The same money will buy an Amplifon SET42 Special Edition with all NOS tubes and V-Cap CuTF coupling capacitor upgrade, lifting build and parts, not to mention sound quality to an endgame performance level usually attainable only at two or three times the cost.
Which other amps at $6000-7000 range can compete with the AS-125?

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
I certainly haven't heard all. It really depends on what you're looking for? My reply was about the AS-125 specifically, since Christoph referred me to your question. There's nothing that I know of in the same price category that can "compete" with the AS-125 for what it is (about as "tubey" sounding as it gets in the romantic sense). Single-ended tube amplifiers can be so many things. We have demo units of the Sound Design Atelier 6C33C mono blocks (20 Watts per channel with remote for 128-step volume controls in 0.5dB steps using resistor networks) here that are roughly in this price category that are broadband, neutral sounding and transparent, with tight and extended bass, in short, those are not an alternative to solid state such as your CH Precision, but a direct replacement. The Decware 25th Anniversary Zen I mentioned earlier is more of a smack in the middle sounding amplifier, a wonderfully transparent communicator of musicality and emotion, but at 2.3 Watts per channel, all depends on the choice of speaker. If it were my money, I'd consider Decware's new Sarah 300B (4-7 Watts per channel, same problem: much depends on the choice of speaker), but that's provided one doesn't mind the lead time of approximately 2 years. Depending on where you live, I'd be looking at the used market, who knows something like the aforementioned Amplifon SET42SE might pop up, endgame amp (don't just take my word for it, ask @christoph or @morricab) that'll drive pretty much anything, cook dinner and heat your home in wintertime.

Last edited:

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
A word of caution: some things in life, such as high-quality output transformers, i.e. broadband, with high power handling, yet sufficiently isolated, that won't be easily driven into saturation, do not come cheap (and that's just one part to give an example/make a point). That's why a flea-watt SET amp may be affordable yet sound great - within its performance limits. If you're looking at tube amplification, in particular single-ended, to drive speakers that are low(er) sensitivity, and sound just as good, be prepared to pay up exponentially.

Last edited:

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
A word of caution: some things in life, such as high-quality output transformers, i.e. broadband, with high power handling, yet sufficiently isolated, that won't be easily driven into saturation, do not come cheap (and that's just one part to give an example/make a point). That's why a flea-watt SET amp may be affordable yet sound great - within its performance limits. If you're looking at tube amplification, in particular single-ended, to drive speakers that are low(er) sensitivity, and sound just as good, be prepared to pay up exponentially.

Yes, not many 211/845 high-power SET available at this price point.

Reactions: acousticsguru

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Another word of caution: beware of high-powered 845 amps, recommend reading the data sheet and this, as I've heard a number that suffer from the problem described here:

http://www.jacmusic.com/nos/GM70/

Link to the data sheet:

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/111/8/845.pdf

Mentioning this because it's what many fall for who have low(er) sensitivity speakers and are shopping around for their first single-ended tube amplifier.

Reactions: christoph

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Compare 845 specifications to 211, and you'll get the gist (maximum output power in Class A audio applications is about the same) - for a short explanation, see the first paragraph in the JacMusic article attached above.

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/049/2/211.pdf

This doesn't make any of these transmitter tubes unfit for audio, just stay away from designs that do not respect the specs.

Reactions: iaxel and christoph

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH
I certainly haven't heard all. It really depends on what you're looking for? My reply was about the AS-125 specifically, since Christoph referred me to your question. There's nothing that I know of in the same price category that can "compete" with the AS-125 for what it is (about as "tubey" sounding as it gets in the romantic sense). Single-ended tube amplifiers can be so many things. We have demo units of the Sound Design Atelier 6C33C mono blocks (20 Watts per channel with remote for 128-step volume controls in 0.5dB steps using resistor networks) here that are roughly in this price category that are broadband, neutral sounding and transparent, with tight and extended bass, in short, those are not an alternative to solid state such as your CH Precision, but a direct replacement. The Decware 25th Anniversary Zen I mentioned earlier is more of a smack in the middle sounding amplifier, a wonderfully transparent communicator of musicality and emotion, but at 2.3 Watts per channel, all depends on the choice of speaker. If it were my money, I'd consider Decware's new Sarah 300B (4-7 Watts per channel, same problem: much depends on the choice of speaker), but that's provided one doesn't mind the lead time of approximately 2 years. Depending on where you live, I'd be looking at the used market, who knows something like the aforementioned Amplifon SET42SE might pop up, endgame amp (don't just take my word for it, ask @christoph or @morricab) that'll drive pretty much anything, cook dinner and heat your home in wintertime.

These Sound Design Monos are really something special! Love it a lot!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5102.jpeg
    IMG_5102.jpeg
    857.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5088.jpeg
    IMG_5088.jpeg
    621.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5103.jpeg
    IMG_5103.jpeg
    873.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

pdreher

Aug 21, 2020
St. Louis Missouri

Not at all, we used a variety of tubes in either, NOS included, and although I don’t use the stock tubes in the AS-125, I agree it strikes me as less of a “necessity” to upgrade in the sense that one is going to get that rich and lush sound no matter what. What Telefunken ECC83, Melz 1578 and Audio Note AN-4242E molybdenum plates bring to the table in the AS-125 is primarily transparency and resolution, as well as greater extension at both ends of the spectrum. There’s more of a fundamental change in character upgrading tubes in the LM-219iA or LM-845 Premium. Would like to add that this only adds to the problem of them hardly being competitive in their price range. The same money will buy an Amplifon SET42 Special Edition with all NOS tubes and V-Cap CuTF coupling capacitor upgrade, lifting build and parts, not to mention sound quality to an endgame performance level usually attainable only at two or three times the cost. Like I said, the AS-125 is more of a fun alternative in this context, not that it needs an excuse for being just that, not in my book anyways.

Does Amplifon sell into the US? I can't find their website.

Reactions: acousticsguru

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Does Amplifon sell into the US? I can't find their website.
It’s quite the amp. But I do not think they have a U.S. importer, nor a web site. It’s all hand-built by only two people, even the chassis is made of parts they make on their own CNC machine, which again they built themselves. Needless to say, the output transformers are wound and soaked in house, everything.

Reactions: christoph

JimmyJet

Nov 15, 2022
Gig Harbor, WA
Hi Shakti - nice system! I recently acquired the LM LP-33 phono stage, but the store no longer had the owner's manual - do you know what the three little numbers on top of the volume control represent? It looks like it is 1 - 0 - 9 and there doesn't seem to be a way to move those little numbers. Please let me know if you can explain what they are. Thanks!

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Hi Shakti - nice system! I recently acquired the LM LP-33 phono stage, but the store no longer had the owner's manual - do you know what the three little numbers on top of the volume control represent? It looks like it is 1 - 0 - 9 and there doesn't seem to be a way to move those little numbers. Please let me know if you can explain what they are. Thanks!
google translate will help:

JimmyJet

Nov 15, 2022
Gig Harbor, WA

retired farmer

Oct 18, 2022
I just ran across this older thread. Anyhow I have a pair of the lm124a monoblocks with a volume control. I will likely run a sonic frontier cd player in front of them or the krell kps20i cd player. I have purchased a pair of odeon audio rigoletto speakers that have not arrived yet. They are more efficient that what I am running now and I hope to be running the amps at the lower power way. Upgraded the tubes and use the first Gen redwave power cords with furutech top of the line rhodium ends on them for the amps. I am expecting even better results than I currently am having.

retired farmer

Oct 18, 2022
I just ran across this older thread. Anyhow I have a pair of the lm124a monoblocks with a volume control. I will likely run a sonic frontier cd player in front of them or the krell kps20i cd player. I have purchased a pair of odeon audio rigoletto speakers that have not arrived yet. They are more efficient that what I am running now and I hope to be running the amps at the lower power way. Upgraded the tubes and use the first Gen redwave power cords with furutech top of the line rhodium ends on them for the amps. I am expecting even better results than I currently am having.
Running them in triode sounded better to me than tetrode when I purchased the amps a few years ago. Heard them on both the top of the line lm speakes and the second from the top. Hopefully these odeon speakers sound close to as nice. The lm speakers are too big for the space I have.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing