Custom dedicated audio room owners unite!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Should EMF and RFI interference be a consideration in building a dedicated room? I once designed/built a data center that was next to high power lines. IT dept was concerned about frequency interference in the Telecom demarc rooms. However, the engineers said you would have to identify the interference frequency before a copper mesh could be installed, as the frequency dictated the mesh spread. Someone came up with the idea of installing lead-lined sheet-rock used in xray rooms, which we did...

Excellent point - RFI has a very wide bandwidth - many orders of magnitude - and in order to attack such problem we should identify the target zone of the spectra. The Telecom engineers were competent. But here we have a problem - we have no physical model or studies about the subjective effects of RFI in stereo sound reproduction. Even the interference coming with mains power is poorly understood. Hundreds of kilohertz? MHz? GHz? Who knows?

At some time in the past I tried screening my whole system, cables included, with aluminum foil, connecting it to a good ground point. I and other people who listened to the experiment found that it made the system sound lifeless, I gave up on screening ideas!

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
My usual listening environment View attachment 118005
Nope, I don’t believe it. While it is indeed a peaceful and calming looking place, there are no speaker cables. It looks like a Wilson speaker advertisement—they never show speaker cables! ;)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
My room is finally complete. Very pleased with how everything is coming together View attachment 118007
First off, congratulations!!!

I know you haven't had much time with the room/components yet....are you pleased with the results thus far? It looks very welcoming and (in theory) very well acoustically treated...

Tom

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
Nope, I don’t believe it. While it is indeed a peaceful and calming looking place, there are no speaker cables. It looks like a Wilson speaker advertisement—they never show speaker cables! ;)
The funny thing is that after installing the hifi to be as discreet as possible she asked if I could get rid of the speaker cables. I advised that wouldn't really work, but by rotating the rug they went underneath and - hey presto! Plus the speakers are still in the position designated by my Wilson-trained dealer.

Meanwhile, she's on a flight from New York to London, do I take credit?

IMG_1C01B9877FD8-1.jpeg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
I love the aesthetics and room?? very inviting and comfortable. The light on the vase is a nice touch.
The lighting is much more subtle than it looks. The iPhone makes it very bright.

It's a very simple matter putting in downlighters, which all connect to a transformer box in the base of the units. The main lighting is Alexa voice controlled, with brightness and warmth adjustment in 100 increments and various preset moods.

The carpentry is all very simple, but well made. No bright colours to distract, black & white lithographs, lots of earthy ceramics. My carpenter mate Paul can be a bit extravagant, the wife kept him under control.
I did unleash him on an old filing unit that he turned in to a drinks cabinet. We schemed that up without telling the wife.

11.JPEG View attachment 118018 13.JPEG

Reactions: Bobvin

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing