DACs Galore and Expectation Bias

Quadman

Mar 1, 2016
East TN
X20 and U12

I own one of these DACs and I'm very happy with it.

I have compared it to a couple of DACs at about twice the price. It was better in almost every respect.

It sounds great with DSD 128 via the USB input, but I sure would like to try quad DSD via the I2S input.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like that can be accomplished with a Gustard u12 and a standard HDMI cable.

Thanks!

[I believe you are correct. I know I2S does not share the same pin standard as HDMI so, for instance, you cannot take HDMI out of PC and send to X20. But you should be able to go usb to U12 and I2S to X20 with HDMI cable. It looks lie Gustard has an error in the pin assignments for I2S, but I understand they did that same error thru their line so compatibility should be fine. I have also read that the U12 is a weak link in the signal chain. I have not tried the U12 route so this is just educated speculation. Read the post from head-fi forum below by Monorisuke (it is post 549 on page 37) for some insite to the wiring issue.

It comes from the different pin assignment of Tanly output and DAC-X20 input for DSD.
Usually, DATA (I2S) is shared with DSD R (DSD), which Tanly follows.
However, DATA (I2S) is shared with DSD L (DSD) in DAC-X20. See the pin assignment of U12 output as well as DAC-X20 input. The combination of U12 and DAC-X20 works correctly both for PCM and DSD.

Since Gustard has changed the pin assignment of U12 output without notice, I believe they made a mistake saying DATA/DSD R and LRCK/DSD L at the beginning.
Actually, there was no hardware change in U12.
Some customers pointed out the channel swap in DSD. Instead of recalling all the U12 units already in the market, they changed the specifications of HDMI LVDS I2S/DSD interface which DAC-X20 and DAC-X12 follow.
DAC-X12 was already in the market as they reaslised the U12 pin assignment was wrong, and the new DAC-X20 had to follow this "new" specifications to keep compatibility with U12.
That is why HDMI LVDS I2S/DSD interface of Gustard is unique and not compatible with any other manufacturer's product.

You should have ordered your Tanly by indicating DAC-X20 HDMI LVDS I2S/DSD input or U12 output (the current one, not the previous one).

I posted the following on Gustard U12 thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/736294/gustard-u12-usb-interface-8-core-xmos-chip/3105#post_12206039

[/COLOR]

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing