Dan D'agostino pre amp. volume noise

MLB

Apr 22, 2013
Hi Guys/Girls

Have had the Dan D'agostino pre amp. in my system for some time now.
It is a very good sounding pre amp. But when using the volume up and down
there's a very distinct clicking noise in the mid/high frequency range
coming from both speaker channels!
Is this normal or is the amplifier malfunctioning?
In hope of help.

BR.
Mike B.

I don't have first hand experience with the D'Agostino preamp, but after checking the website I see that the "Volume adjustment is made through a resistor ladder governed by an optical controller." This type of volume control generally uses discrete relays to switch in the specific resistors required to set the selected volume level. I believe what you are hearing is the switching sound of the relays making and breaking contact, but to verify that it's normal I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer or one of their dealers. A quick phone call or email should suffice.

Seems like an obvious design flaw that would be uncharacteristic of the company. Resistor ladder volume controls can cause glitches but if one "makes-before-break" that shouldn't be there. Contact them and see what they say and please report back.

For now, how sensitive are your speakers?

Hello, MLB. You stated "distinct clicking noise". I have a question for you....how loud is the clicking?

Obvious but very subtle
Obvious but subtle
Obvious to you but most folks won't hear it (or notice it)
Obvious but anyone can clearly hear it
Obvious but annoying
Obvious but loud enough for the clicking to be abnormally "broadcast" through the speakers

I have had one or two pre's that have done this. With design, some gear will do this normally. Other designs should have zero noise during volume changes.

Tom

Autoformer style attenuators are known to click.....not sure if that is similar to DAG' attenuation implementation or not....

Last week I just set up an AF2 in a showroom with a DAG Pre, Dag Monos and Tidal Sunrays. I didn't hear any clicking from where I was.

I hear no sound "from my speakers" when adjusting the volume up and down using the remote. I do hear a slight ticking sound coming from the pre-amp when I use the remotes volume controls. That seems normal to me since every action taken on the remote initiates a sound from the unit. I think that is the design intent.

Hi Audio.bill,

Will contact the manufacturer. Just wanted to hear if this issue is familiar to others before starting to complain:)
Thanks for your input.....

BR.

Michael B

Hello, MLB. You stated "distinct clicking noise". I have a question for you....how loud is the clicking?

Obvious but very subtle
Obvious but subtle
Obvious to you but most folks won't hear it (or notice it)
Obvious but anyone can clearly hear it
Obvious but annoying
Obvious but loud enough for the clicking to be abnormally "broadcast" through the speakers

I have had one or two pre's that have done this. With design, some gear will do this normally. Other designs should have zero noise during volume changes.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I would say Obvious but annoying

BR.

Michael B.

Seems like an obvious design flaw that would be uncharacteristic of the company. Resistor ladder volume controls can cause glitches but if one "makes-before-break" that shouldn't be there. Contact them and see what they say and please report back.

For now, how sensitive are your speakers?

Hi Amirm,

Will report back when solution is found!

My speakers are Eggleston Ivy. Sensitivity is 88db.

BR.

Michael B.

I hear no sound "from my speakers" when adjusting the volume up and down using the remote. I do hear a slight ticking sound coming from the pre-amp when I use the remotes volume controls. That seems normal to me since every action taken on the remote initiates a sound from the unit. I think that is the design intent.

Hi Still-one,

Could you please try to turn the volume up and down with no music playing!

Is there still no Clicking sound coming from the speakers?

Thanks in advance!

BR.

Michael Bache.

Hi Still-one,

Could you please try to turn the volume up and down with no music playing!

Is there still no Clicking sound coming from the speakers?

Thanks in advance!

BR.

Michael Bache.

I did as you suggested with the music stopped. I can hear a very faint tick/pop if I put my ear right up to the drivers.

I did as you suggested with the music stopped. I can hear a very faint tick/pop if I put my ear right up to the drivers.

Seems like this its part of the design then!

Thanks for your quick feedback Still-one.....

Hi Mike,

I have the same experienced just like you and sometimes at around 50 I will hear Click just before the sound increased, everything will be more revealing with soft classical music and done it with remote.

Joseph

Hi All

Just got feedback from Dan D'agostino, explaining that its normal to hear this "clicking"
When adjusting the volume. So I guess I'll have to get used to this or find different amp!:)
(Will be difficult to find something with the same high-end build quality including same extreme sonic capability!)

Best regards.

Mike.

Hi All

Just got feedback from Dan D'agostino, explaining that its normal to hear this "clicking"
When adjusting the volume. So I guess I'll have to get used to this or find different amp!:)
(Will be difficult to find something with the same high-end build quality including same extreme sonic capability!)

Best regards.

Mike.

Mike
Thanks for following up with Dan. I would have never heard it from my speakers had you not suggested trying it with the pre-amp muted. Since I always adjust volume with the music playing I only heard the sound coming from the pre-amp. I assumed it was there to let you know the remote was working.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing