Dangerous Horn Speaker SPLs: How Best to Protect Your Hearing?

ajant

Jan 14, 2017
My biggest safety concern with horn speakers and super tweeters is protecting against unexpected peaks in program material. My room is 20 ft x 11 ft-then across a 4 ft wide hallway and into a 9 ft x 8 kitchen. A triangular ceiling that peaks at 11 ft is above everything. I plan to sit 11 ft from speakers with mid horn/driver and tweeter like these, but minus the back loaded horn. https://josephcrowe.com/products/speaker-system-no-2095

These woofers playing down to ~ 55Hz.

Below those I have two or three of these subs to use. https://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12.html

All music sources and movies (DVD, BD) are pc-based, with JRiver being my primary Windows player. Whether I use a stereo or DAC to first measure and correct the room acoustically as best I can-or then attempt further correction via a MCH DAC (e.g. https://www.merging.com/products/interfaces/hapi )-I was assured by Hapi users that I can control master volume and mute via a wireless Windows keyboard.

Having a lightweight keyboard on my lap for volume/mute is one thing, but it's those split second SPL blasts from movies, that all too often crop up in movies that can hit your ears, which literally terrifies me-as it should anyone who values their hearing (??!!). So, what's the best solution to provide instantaneous protection against dangerous SPLs while preserving audio quality (resolution)?

Some kind of limiter plug-in?? What would be best? But how fast and precise can it limit SPLs? And what sonic penalties might I pay for using it?

I don't really understand what you are worried about? Those short term peaks are not the worry it's the long time average SPL
My HT mains are a 4 way active set up. I can hit 115 dB peaks with relative ease. No issues at all too loud turn it down. Invest in an SPL meter to play it safe

Rob :)

Reactions: PeterA
I am no Otolaryngologist, but dropping a fork on a granite tile floor can hit 110-120db instantaneous peaks. Clapping your hands, a standing ovation at a concert are long (but not really), going to a football stadium where everyone is cheering.

I think if your average db rating is rational, should be fine. We listen at the lower end, but fortunately the system noise floor is very low so dont mind 50-60db average. Movie's louder but not substantially.

Many hear listen regularly at closer to 75-80db avg. Instantaneous peaks can go 20-25db or more above the average.

Reactions: Robh3606 and PeterA
Out of curiosity do you have a late night mode in your software. I have that available as an option in my pre-pro for late night listening that limits the dynamic range. That would compress the peaks and limit them.

Rob :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing