DaVa FC-A1 a field coil contender

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I am with you Ked, the check has been written but not yet mailed.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Separately, I love these videos from @Persve, with EMT 927 and DaVa reference, very simple system with basic model of NAT preamp (Symmetrical) and a Nord Acoustics Class D amp into small Marten speakers

Reactions: mtemur and Persve

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
How much are these cartridge and power supply. Are there levels like with the DS Audio Optical.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Thats not a bad price for a premium cartridge. Are they easy to repair or retip.

Reactions: Persve

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
In fact the Lithuanian analog scene in general is bringing a bunch of good things to the table ;)

oeno

Jun 7, 2014
Congrats to Darius for making a great contribution to analog. Good times these :)
And many thanks to Lief and Bill for telling us what this was and explaining patiently how to get it to work best. Their bona fides prompted me to dive right in to the DaVa pool months ago....one of the best audio decisions I have ever made.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
So after listening to a TD 124 with basic DaVa (no PSU) next to a Continuum Caliburn with Etsuro Gold at Vess, and then spending 3 days listening to the DaVa reference and Etsuro Master Golds at Mike's I ordered a DaVa Reference with the valve PSU.

Easiest audio decision I made. The thing is revolutionary. Also when Mike ordered queue was 4 months now it is going up to 8. Might as well order and keep. If I don't set up a system I will just sell it to someone in queue but tbh it makes the prospect of setting up a system with TD 124 very likely. The most expensive thing in a system is the analog and records journey and discovery and this just makes the analog journey much easier.
How much does one give up with the basic DaVa, ( No PSU) compared to one with a PSU , and is the basic DaVa (with no PSU) competitive with the premium cartridge offerings like DS Optical, Etsuro Gold, etc?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
They all need a PSU since they are field coil. Its tube vs solid state.

In an ideal world you have a few carts to vary the presentation but the DaVa is very good and has energy that is rare.

Reactions: MRJAZZ

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How much does one give up with the basic DaVa, ( No PSU) compared to one with a PSU , and is the basic DaVa (with no PSU) competitive with the premium cartridge offerings like DS Optical, Etsuro Gold, etc?

Leif said the difference between A1 and reference is extension and resolution. I think basic DaVa is competitive, but price difference in the two is very low. ps: I don't think other carts are competitive with DaVa. A lot of the premiumness is just retail margin and they are just sideways compared to what DaVa is doing.

Regarding DS Optical, it is a higher resolution cart than most and is different like the DaVa. whether you like it or think is digital is going to be system/taste specific. There is also no way to use any phono with it which you can with the DaVa, and the cost of DS optical is just too high. But I will say that both are higher resolution than others.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcosta and MRJAZZ

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Leif said the difference between A1 and reference is extension and resolution. I think basic DaVa is competitive, but price difference in the two is very low. ps: I don't think other carts are competitive with DaVa. A lot of the premiumness is just retail margin and they are just sideways compared to what DaVa is doing.

Regarding DS Optical, it is a higher resolution cart than most and is different like the DaVa. whether you like it or think is digital is going to be system/taste specific. There is also no way to use any phono with it which you can with the DaVa, and the cost of DS optical is just too high. But I will say that both are higher resolution than others.
at this point, mostly agree but not entirely. i see (and hear) my particular moving coils (Etsuro Gold special models) as trade-offs with the DaVa. more refined, similar resolution, not quite as dynamically alive. really depends on (1) the music, (2) the tt/arm mounted on, (3) the phono cable/dongle used, even my system balance. but in these preferences the other is also extremely good. i feel very fortunate to have these 3 cartridges to listen to every day. they do wonderfully answer my musical questions.

i'm glad i don't have to choose between them. ask me a month from now how i feel about this. better even, ask in 6 months....tough job but someone has to do it. ;) the DaVa, one of my Etsuro Gold's, my EMIA MC Trio, LFD dongle and other cables are all breaking in.

my moving coils are in some ways not real world choices. can't say how other moving coils might compare. i do have a friend with the DS Audio who somewhat prefers his DaVa.....and likes he can use his conventional phono.

in any case, agree that the DaVa is a no brainer direct purchase wonder. it's plays at the top level. love mine.

Last edited:

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
My cartridge that just arrived is the new DaVa according to Darius, apparent longer body and all aluminum with changes in the motor as well. It looks finer finished than the model it replaces with an anodized golden hue. What the sonic differences are to the old discontinued model- no idea.

Today I tested the current output of my custom mfd. EY 500a power supply I built- I have decided on the appropriate connector on the backside of the unit for output and will add the AN Kansei cap this week and take the DaVa for a spin.

I hope to install it soon and advise if there is an interest.

Attachments

• IMG_2099 (1).jpg
    IMG_2099 (1).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2101.jpg
    IMG_2101.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2100.jpg
    IMG_2100.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1448.jpg
    IMG_1448.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 34

108CY

May 4, 2013
at this point, mostly agree but not entirely. i see (and hear) my particular moving coils (Etsuro Gold special models) as trade-offs with the DaVa. more refined, similar resolution, not quite as dynamically alive. really depends on (1) the music, (2) the tt/arm mounted on, (3) the phono cable/dongle used, even my system balance. but in these preferences the other is also extremely good. i feel very fortunate to have these 3 cartridges to listen to every day. they do wonderfully answer my musical questions.

i'm glad i don't have to choose between them. ask me a month from now how i feel about this. better even, ask in 6 months....tough job but someone has to do it. ;) the DaVa, one of my Etsuro Gold's, my EMIA MC Trio, LFD dongle and other cables are all breaking in.

my moving coils are in some ways not real world choices. can't say how other moving coils might compare. i do have a friend with the DS Audio who somewhat prefers his DaVa.....and likes he can use his conventional phono.

in any case, agree that the DaVa is a no brainer direct purchase wonder. it's plays at the top level. love mine.
Life with one cartridge would be rather dull and boring I have to agree, you are fortunate not to not have to choose. I always respect any ones choice it would be boring if we all liked the same thing and would just turn into sheep. We listen and learn and decide what suits u,s for me I like have lots of cartridges all with various flavours and no doubt is Dava is one those all time greats and one for the collection. The great thing is that your cartridges are so different from each other and both offer there own wonderful attributes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Down in Devon

Persve

Nov 8, 2015
Sweden
Separately, I love these videos from @Persve, with EMT 927 and DaVa reference, very simple system with basic model of NAT preamp (Symmetrical) and a Nord Acoustics Class D amp into small Marten speakers

This is the first video after I got the tube PSU and the silver/copper mixed SUT from Darius! Sounds great out of the box but needs up to 50 hours to fully break in! Its such a match with the EMT 927! Bonzo75 mentioned PRAT - thats what it is all about! I am in heaven!

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
My Dava reference will be here in December meanwhile my tube psu is being built!

4 to 6 months is a long wait but still everyone seems happy with however long they have waited, let’s hope it will be the same for me too.

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
at this point, mostly agree but not entirely. i see (and hear) my particular moving coils (Etsuro Gold special models) as trade-offs with the DaVa.
From my brief exposure to your system and compares ( thank you !) that was my takeaway as well.

Reactions: 108CY

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing