DaVa FC-A1 a field coil contender

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Eugene´s RIAA is L only, no Rs or Cs
The DaVA fc has the motor up front by the needle, more like a DST......as far as I know, nobody else has done that
we certainly haven´t heard the last word from theese guys

Reactions: marmota and mtemur

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
My DaVa reference cart is now ready and is shipped to a compare with my top choice, the Vyger red sparrow (which requires the arm cart synergy), then will go to play on one of my favorite systems, Misho's Altec 817, to see how the combination sounds. Against Vyger it will be on a Techdas AF3p with either the Ikeda or the 3012r tonearm, whichever works better. Various SUTs and phono combos are planned. Let's see how it goes will take a couple of months to sort the travel and listening out.
Are you going to be traveling with your own DaVa Ked ? :eek: Have you practiced set-up on different arms ? ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Are you going to be traveling with your own DaVa Ked ? :eek: Have you practiced set-up on different arms ? ;)

The DaVa gets shipped before, enough time is given for the host to set it up, when he confirms it is sounding fine I go over. I have done this with amps and phonos and carts before, sent them ahead a few days before getting there.

Reactions: Lagonda

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You always say this is a $20k phono. I have it, purchased new directly from AT, and it was not even half that.

The one I heard was that. Maybe it is the next model up then?

djsina2

May 30, 2019
The one I heard was that. Maybe it is the next model up then?
No, the next model up is much more than $20k. Unless you are referring to old models which haven’t been made in the past decade or more. Hard to know without a model number.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
The DaVa gets shipped before, enough time is given for the host to set it up, when he confirms it is sounding fine I go over. I have done this with amps and phonos and carts before, sent them ahead a few days before getting there.
Time to finally hear Marcs system and TT with your DaVa, he will call you when he is finished setting it up ! :p

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Time to hear Marcs TT with your DaVa, he will call you when he is finished setting it up ! :p

Did he buy the Saskia? If not...

Unfortunately it does not work on an LT, so his arm might "terminate" it.

Marc already said he loved the Dava when he heard it at Bill's, if I take it to him he might say he was wrong and it sucks

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You always say this is a $20k phono. I have it, purchased new directly from AT, and it was not even half that.

Price when reviewed, 20k Euro as per this too

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Price when reviewed, 20k Euro as per this too

Dealer scam markup. Nothing more. Fremer also reviewed the AT cartridge at $5500 and it’s actually about $1700. My favorite cartridge and I had the DaVa.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Love the attention DaVa is getting but this is a nice reality check ;)
The DaVa is amazing for sure but it can be a little unruly sometimes. It also tends to make everything sound full throttle like home theater. It’s exciting and addicting. I had the same experience using an EMIA autoformer. They are a lot of fun but in the end I prefer the simplicity, the better tracking, better vocals, and quieter in the groove of the way cheaper AT cartridge. I also have a full AT system though so there’s the benefit of it all being tuned as one unit. It’s probably not for many people who constantly want more more more and end up with something so overblown. Depends what you like I guess, everyone has their preferences.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Exactly

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dealer scam markup. Nothing more. Fremer also reviewed the AT cartridge at $5500 and it’s actually about $1700. My favorite cartridge and I had the DaVa.

I know the AT 33, AT 9, and AT 1000 pretty well with regular listens at some friends in and around London. They are no comparison to DaVa nor to many carts. AT 33 and AT 9 are great value for the money, and at the price of AT9 I only see myself considering that, Hana, and a SPU.

I don't disagree DaVa can be a full throttle, but it can easily be 1 or 2. If not 1, 2 as there can always be an alternative sound. For me that is with Vyger Red Sparrow, very different.

Reactions: djsina2 and mtemur

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
He means Audio Tekne

• Haha
Reactions: mtemur

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Gian’s feedback on the AT cart:

I had 2 of this cart.
Low impedance and 0.1 mw output
Always found natural sound but little dark with audio tekne preamp and other pre with sut
But when tried with ch phono in current was shocked
Very open transparent dynamic
Was fantastic but little worse than vdh, opus, Lyra then i sold

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Gian’s feedback on the AT cart:

I had 2 of this cart.
Low impedance and 0.1 mw output
Always found natural sound but little dark with audio tekne preamp and other pre with sut
But when tried with ch phono in current was shocked
Very open transparent dynamic
Was fantastic but little worse than vdh, opus, Lyra then i sold
Gian says everything is dark. Imai actually says something similar when you buy his stuff. Because he focuses on limiting high freq distortion you may think it sounds treble is lacking but in reality only the distortion is decreased.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing