DCS Or LAMPIZATOR- YOUR CONSIDERATIONS.

Sorry, but how would you have experience of DHT at the source? Thought Lampi (and probably Allnic) were the only two?

Correcto, an acquaintance with an all Allnic rig out has an D5000, nice build quality and I like the looks, tho not sporting quite the valve exotica open to Lampizator aficionados, I also feel that it sounds pretty decent despite being panned on measurements alone, I have also been electrocuted (thankfully not full HT ) by a number of death trap projects of a DIY friend , sporting various DHT stages.

I think you are leaning towards the DCS, in which case try to audition both and if you do, try to roll a couple on the Lampi. I think even if you want the balanced GG, demoing a SE GG (in case you don't get a balanced) will give you a flavor of whether you prefer it to the dcs or not. If not, fine, if yes, order the balanced one.

At this ill informed point in time I feel that I am bonzo, however, as someone who listens to lumps of wood with carbon stuck on I never entirely discount anything until I hear it for myself.

I think you need to double check with GB Lampi distributor but I thought some of the repair etc. work was being done there.

Also, I think Lampi has been good about offering relatively cheap upgrade paths via replacement parts or trade ins which I think has helped maintain its value to us, consumers. I got a great deal on my upgrade from L5 to GG. Better than I could see doing a resale on my old equipment and without all the hassle. Given how fast things are changing, I think this is important.

As for the look, I love the new Lampi GG and B7 look. Its big. Its not "slick." But even my wife was impressed with the look.

Not only do I like the looks, the to and fro from Poland to GB is easy

4 boxes, 4 sets of shun mook resonators :eek:

Harlequin,

My apologies if I missed this, but what kind of music do you listen to. Also, what format is most of it in now - PCM or DSD? files or disks?

I find DSD overly harmonic and lacking dynamic jump. For me, this is particularly troublesome playing rock and blues, but just fine with voice and most other. My take is just like with tubes and SS, you need a PCM player for PCM recordings and DSD player for DSD material. Obviously your preferences and tastes may differ. Have fun auditioning and Good Luck!

Harlequin,

My apologies if I missed this, but what kind of music do you listen to. Also, what format is most of it in now - PCM or DSD? files or disks?

I find DSD overly harmonic and lacking dynamic jump. For me, this is particularly troublesome playing rock and blues, but just fine with voice and most other. My take is just like with tubes and SS, you need a PCM player for PCM recordings and DSD player for DSD material. Obviously your preferences and tastes may differ. Have fun auditioning and Good Luck!

Hi, this is based on experience with which dacs?

Harlequin,

Evening ceasrar, no please accept mine, I had intended to return to your genre query then lost track.
For the most part Jazz, Early music >Baroque through to 18th century Classical with a blast of Wagner now and again, Singer songwriter, Film scores, Blues, pretty much an eclectic mix other than Electronica, Rap or Pop.

Obviously, this is all preference. But let me give you a concrete example: I recently listened to Muddy Waters' Hard Again on a friend's PS audio Directsteam dac. It had great detail resolution and was very smooth. But because it lacked dynamics, the message of the artist got lost. Muddy sounds raw, emotional, and "hard" on PCM, but despite the lack of glare on PS Audio, the emotion was all gone and he sounded like a friggin' pussy.

That's why I'm wondering if there is something out there with the refinement of DSD, but dynamics of PCM.

Obviously, this is all preference. But let me give you a concrete example: I recently listened to Muddy Waters' Hard Again on a friend's PS audio Directsteam dac. It had great detail resolution and was very smooth. But because it lacked dynamics, the message of the artist got lost. Muddy sounds raw, emotional, and "hard" on PCM, but despite the lack of glare on PS Audio, the emotion was all gone and he sounded like a friggin' pussy.

That's why I'm wondering if there is something out there with the refinement of DSD, but dynamics of PCM.

Yeah...switch the Rossini or Vivaldi to upsample to DXD vs DSD. You can even do this with DSD files. Definitely more incisive. Has a more direct portrayal of things...that I like for rock and certain jazz.

My Pal Al has the DStream and 2 Lampi Big7s. The Lampi to our ears was far better for both PCM and especially DSD. That was with he old Lampi PCM. I now have the ladder PCM and its better again. Only our opinion...YMMV

I know what you mean about the DS, but have to relisten to Muddy Waters. I have a GG coming so I'll do a comparison for you when it gets here. I do wonder about how much the "smoothness" and "hard glare" are actually on the same spectrum so it is more a matter of shades vs something missing. If there is any truth in that, then it is more about tuning. I am collecting some rectifiers in advance of getting my GG so I can play with tuning and love the ability to do so.

Also the statements seem incorrect out of context. Regarding Vivaldi and Oppo, I replaced Vivaldi with an oppo and heard a difference, more quietness and detail, all hifi stuff, but couldn't be bothered. In the broader context, it was that I will get massive upgrade if I replace Oppo with a basic well set up turntable instead. I can't be bothered with expensive digital as it makes ZERO significant difference to me compared to vinyl, and Lampi is the only digital I like. To me, the Oppo, vivaldi, trinity, AR Dac 8, a sony SACD player, relative to vinyl all sound the same. I will stay with Lampi as it sounds better than digital

Errrrrr....:confused:Are you saying that IYHO the Oppo or the Vivaldi exhibited those traits relative to the other ?

Lampizator IS a digital source btw ;)

Errrrrr....:confused:Are you saying that IYHO the Oppo or the Vivaldi exhibited those traits relative to the other ?

Lampizator IS a digital source btw ;)

I was just clarifying on Al M's comment about what I had said earlier. I also clarified in that post Lampi is digital ;) - I don't blame you for thinking it could be a tape deck though. As some would say, in blind testing you couldn't tell

I was just clarifying on Al M's comment about what I had said earlier. I also clarified in that post Lampi is digital ;) - I don't blame you for thinking it could be a tape deck though. As some would say, in blind testing you couldn't tell

Clear as Mud then bonzo Ta!

If one is willing to have a computer in your system running HQ Player, then you have to listen to the T+A DAC 8 DSD doing DSD 512. T+A have their own 1 bit DSD converter design which sounds very good indeed. The PCM is processed by a totally separate array of 4 DAC chips, but the sound cannot hold a candle to DSD 512

With a tricked out powerful Windows PC, HQ Player doing PCM to DSD 512 and upsampling DSD 64 to DSD 512 sets new sonic standards

Next month we will be demoing in London the T+A DAC 8 DSD being fed by the Sound Galleries Music Server

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing