DCS Rossini APEX has arrived!

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Bumping this along. . . I've got about 200 hours since the installation of the APEX board in my Vivaldi. I agree with all that has been said before about the APEX upgrade -- very captivating and emotionally involving. Ever since I sat down at the 24-hour point, just for a "little listen" that ended up lasting until 2am that first night, it has been grabbing me and keeping me locked to the couch. There is absolutely no listening to background music with the Vivaldi APEX.

Steve Z

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Bumping this along. . . I've got about 200 hours since the installation of the APEX board in my Vivaldi. I agree with all that has been said before about the APEX upgrade -- very captivating and emotionally involving. Ever since I sat down at the 24-hour point, just for a "little listen" that ended up lasting until 2am that first night, it has been grabbing me and keeping me locked to the couch. There is absolutely no listening to background music with the Vivaldi APEX.

Steve Z
That's great to hear. One thing that you might experiment with is the APEX output voltage. I don't know what you'd set it to before, but in some instances, using 2v rather than 6v makes another huge difference. That's at least been my experience with the Spectral preamp. If your D'Agostino was already receiving 2v rather than 6v, there will probably be no need to change at all. I've been led to believe that the pre-APEX version was optimized for 6v output.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
That's great to hear. One thing that you might experiment with is the APEX output voltage. I don't know what you'd set it to before, but in some instances, using 2v rather than 6v makes another huge difference. That's at least been my experience with the Spectral preamp. If your D'Agostino was already receiving 2v rather than 6v, there will probably be no need to change at all. I've been led to believe that the pre-APEX version was optimized for 6v output.
Thanks for the suggestion, Steve (great name, by the way). I've actually done that experiment, however my results were different than yours -- my Momentum HD preamp has a very high input voltage overload and I've found the APEX output voltage works best for me set to 6v.

There is a signal to noise advantage for 6v over 2v that in practice seems borne out in my listening experience, but I certainly am open to the fact that everyone's system and preferences are different and what works best for me might not for others.

Steve Z

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Thanks for the suggestion, Steve (great name, by the way). I've actually done that experiment, however my results were different than yours -- my Momentum HD preamp has a very high input voltage overload and I've found the APEX output voltage works best for me set to 6v.

There is a signal to noise advantage for 6v over 2v that in practice seems borne out in my listening experience, but I certainly am open to the fact that everyone's system and preferences are different and what works best for me might not for others.

Steve Z
I‘d been using 6v since day 1 for my Spectral preamp. And that was what my dealer and others had found best. However, from what I gather, dCS had had many complaints over the years that most users found that it overloaded their preamp. So, 2v would better suit the APEX as the optimal, yet retain the ability to go higher and lower. So, when my dealer got wind of this and tested out dropping to 2v, he found it sonically far better. He informed those customers using this preamp, and so far it’s been a winner.

The only noticeable difference I can discern is what you’d expect: the need to crank up the volume brings with it a bit more tweeter hiss, if you’re within a foot of the speaker.

Reactions: oldmustang

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

As far as I remember reading in the dCS forum, although the old Vivaldi was known to sound better in the 6V mode - I preferred this selection when there were no overload or gain problems in the system - the APEX gives similar sound quality in the 2V and 6V mode.

Last edited:

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
As far as I remember reading in the dCS forum, although the old Vivaldi was known to sound better in the 6V mode - I preferred this selection when there were no overload or gain problems in the system - the APEX gives similar sound quality in the 2V and 6V mode.
Fascinating how each preamp performs differently. Guess the ARC Ref 40 yields little difference (or maybe it's your whole system's overall SQ) as to the APEX output setting. The more I try things out the more I discover. Even "rules of thumb" fall by the wayside...

Reactions: RHMMMM

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Fascinating how each preamp performs differently. Guess the ARC Ref 40 yields little difference (or maybe it's your whole system's overall SQ) as to the APEX output setting. The more I try things out the more I discover. Even "rules of thumb" fall by the wayside...

In the past I had found that the ARC Ref40 preferred the 2V output - probably the IC based input attenuators are optimized around this voltage. However with the cj GAT2 I am currently listening I always used the 6V until I got the APEX. I still do not have a firm opinion on this matter - I need more free time to evaluate it!

Reactions: Lee and oldmustang

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
Now at 100 hours on the APEX and it is outstanding in every way. I am collecting my thoughts on the sound and will film more on Monday.

New Rossini APEX + Clock owner here. Still early hours, but already exciting times!

I have noticed a significant change of the over the first 50-60h of playback. Is the 100h mark a reasonable completion of burn-in or does it take even longer?

I intend to experiment about power and BNC cables, but will do it only once the system is settled, and my brain is adjusted to its sound.

Reactions: Lee and Jpspock

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
New Rossini APEX + Clock owner here. Still early hours, but already exciting times!

I have noticed a significant change of the over the first 50-60h of playback. Is the 100h mark a reasonable completion of burn-in or does it take even longer?

I intend to experiment about power and BNC cables, but will do it only once the system is settled, and my brain is adjusted to its sound.
I can't speak directly to the Rossini APEX upgrade, but my Vivaldi APEX seemed to settle in very nicely after a week of 24/7 play, so call it around 175-200 hours.

Steve Z

Reactions: Lee and simorag

billeames

Mar 6, 2023
I listened in-store to APEX Rossini with transport. Versus TechDAS Air Force 3 Premium (AF3 P). Air Force 3P better. Also, in-store I listened to CH Precision 1.5 transport and 1.2 DAC versus AF3 P Close, which is good news if I had $84000 to $90000 to buy them. I dont.

I have Clearaudio Master Innovation, 12 in Universal arm, Jubilee MC Cartridge. Teac Esoteric K01X. Want to upgrade to CD if I can get nearly equivalent sound to Master innovation. That is pie-in-the sky at my budget ($35000), currently possible with CH precision as listed above.

I suppose I could try Rossini Apex.

Or wait until CD or streaming is as good as high level turntables (about $40000-$60000 I think). I wonder if that is 2 years away.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I listened in-store to APEX Rossini with transport. Versus TechDAS Air Force 3 Premium (AF3 P). Air Force 3P better. Also, in-store I listened to CH Precision 1.5 transport and 1.2 DAC versus AF3 P Close, which is good news if I had $84000 to $90000 to buy them. I dont.

I have Clearaudio Master Innovation, 12 in Universal arm, Jubilee MC Cartridge. Teac Esoteric K01X. Want to upgrade to CD if I can get nearly equivalent sound to Master innovation. That is pie-in-the sky at my budget ($35000), currently possible with CH precision as listed above.

Or wait until CD or streaming is as good as high level turntables (about $40000-$60000 I think). I wonder if that is 2 years away.

Try the Rossini Apex. It is a remarkable music machine. On some recordings on par with the Continuum Caliburn.

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
I have the Rossini APEX / Clock combo since almost six months now, and I am overall very pleased by it.

Although nothing is perfect, I am quite taken by how organic and full, bold, hefty it sounds in my system.
I had similar impressions when I tried at the dealership before committing to my purchase, in comparison to a NAGRA HD DAC X, a Tube DAC.

Of course every system is different, and there is the subjective aspect, but I struggle to figure how many users - also here in WBF - refer to the current dCS APEX products as "thin", "harsh", "overly analytical".

I have tried other DACs typically considered on the "analog" side (whatever that means), such as the Playback Designs MPD-8, the APL DSD-MR Mk2 and did not have the impression of a loss of body or harmonic richness when switching to the Rossini APEX / Clock. Never had the chance of a serious audition of other brands like Lampizator or TotalDAC.

I am genuinely curious about what other people with significant exposure to Rossini or Vivaldi think.

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I have the Rossini APEX / Clock combo since almost six months now, and I am overall very pleased by it.

Although nothing is perfect, I am quite taken by how organic and full, bold, hefty it sounds in my system.
I had similar impressions when I tried at the dealership before committing to my purchase, in comparison to a NAGRA HD DAC X, a Tube DAC.

Of course every system is different, and there is the subjective aspect, but I struggle to figure how many users - also here in WBF - refer to the current dCS APEX products as "thin", "harsh", "overly analytical".

I have tried other DACs typically considered on the "analog" side (whatever that means), such as the Playback Designs MPD-8, the APL DSD-MR Mk2 and did not have the impression of a loss of body or harmonic richness when switching to the Rossini APEX / Clock. Never had the chance of a serious audition of other brands like Lampizator or TotalDAC.

I am genuinely curious about what other people with significant exposure to Rossini or Vivaldi think.

I agree. There is a lot of Lampizator support here but I hear just as much body and harmonics on the Rossini Apex and better linearity. The harmonics in vocals are particularly beautiful on things like The Beatles and Beach Boys.

If anything I found the original Rossini to be just a touch threadbare but the Apex actually brought more body and weight to the music and perhaps may be very neutral but just a touch to the warm side. It just sounds like real music when I play my own DSD and PCM recordings of acoustic music.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The harmonics in vocals are particularly beautiful on things like The Beatles and Beach Boys.

If your tracks for harmonics in vocals are Beatles (in your case I assume it will be the MoFi reissue when played with your continuum) and Beach boys, Wilson Alexx and dCS makes sense.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: XV-1

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
If your tracks for harmonics in vocals are Beatles and Beach boys, Wilson Alexx and dCS makes sense.

One thing the Rossini Apex does especially well is separation of instruments. The layering of an orchestra, the separation of musicians in a jazz ensemble, etc.

It's really a remarkable DAC.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

I would humbly suggest some caution on some of these comparisons. There might be differences in setup and source material masterings for instance. Having an ethernet switch makes a difference on the Apex as does the ethernet cable and clock cable quality. And there seems to be an optimal set of mapper and filter settings that fit each specific system. I just learned that this week from a dealer with a Vivaldi stack who has been talking to Emron at dCS.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
If your tracks for harmonics in vocals are Beatles (in your case I assume it will be the MoFi reissue when played with your continuum) and Beach boys, Wilson Alexx and dCS makes sense.

I prefer the UK pressings for the Beatles. The new Giles Martin reissues are great too.

billeames

Mar 6, 2023
The Rossini apex would CB probably sound good. But I wonder if the estoteric grandioso k1x could be just as good. I like the idea of a transport built in but my esoteric k01x could do that.

I'm looking for end of life unit (my life) and the idea of equaling a Clearaudio master innovation is attractive. 6000 cds so lots of material.

Little did I know that cd cannot equal vinyl so far. (Realism, to me, of the music). as I said before, ch precision $90000 set gets close.

I could try a rossini unit but I'd need a few days. Or grandioso k1x. And need to build up some savings.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
The Rossini apex would CB probably sound good. But I wonder if the estoteric grandioso k1x could be just as good. I like the idea of a transport built in but my esoteric k01x could do that.

I'm looking for end of life unit (my life) and the idea of equaling a Clearaudio master innovation is attractive. 6000 cds so lots of material.

Little did I know that cd cannot equal vinyl so far. (Realism, to me, of the music). as I said before, ch precision $90000 set gets close.

I could try a rossini unit but I'd need a few days. Or grandioso k1x. And need to build up some savings.
the Esoteric K1X has an upgrade path too.

one can add a clock, such as the G1X, or the optional outboard PS1 power supply.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing