DCS Vivaldi

ksalno

Mar 29, 2015
I’m therefore looking forward, when it becomes available, to implementing an Uptone EtherREGEN switch, for both isolation and clocking purposes.
No need to wait for Uptone. You can the same with either a pair of media converters like the Model N785-001-LC-MM from Tripp-Lite or an all-in-one solution from GigaFoil. They both provide the same sort of noise isolation that Uptone is promising and you can add whatever LPS you want to either. I started with the Tripp-Lite and it was a big improvement over straight Ethernet connection from my switch. Then I tried the Gigafoil and it made a little more improvement, so that's what I'm using now with the Upsampler. I moved the Tripp-Lite to another streamer in another room.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Not looking for a passive single port solution focused only on EMI. And not keen on any fiber optic approach. Looking for a switch that isolates and has clocking on both sides. The EtherREGEN fits that profile and the price is comparable

Reactions: CKKeung and nonesup

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Just to follow up: the dCS Clock with cabling has settled in. Sounds really exceptional. Spent time discussing my hardware configuration with folks at dCS as well as a number of dealers and customers. All suggest that the benefits of adding any addition clock pale in comparison with a focused effort on my Roon Nucleus network connection to the dCS Upsampler. I’m therefore looking forward, when it becomes available, to implementing an Uptone EtherREGEN switch, for both isolation and clocking purposes.

When is Uptone EtherREGEN expected to be available?

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
I don't know. I do know that it's been on the drawing board for quite some time. From what I gather it's a complex design involving a significant number of parts. So implementing and testing is likely a lengthy process. Will just have to wait and see.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
When is Uptone EtherREGEN expected to be available?
For the latest information from Alex Crespi and if the remaining tests are positive, I estimate between two and three months.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
I have been reading through the Vivaldi thread with a lot of interest - it’s a long read, lol! I’m considering the DAC and upsampler and have been listening to the two units in my system, in comparison to the Rossini player for a few days. It’s surely the most exceptional digital I have heard and has brought me back to really enjoying my CD’s and files again - coming from a full-on analog guy.

I noticed that some people have mentioned benefits from upmarket powercords and different platforms and footers. I wonder if anyone would share their experiences in this area with more detail? - I can’t really go to a different rack, but are there other vibration control devices that might have benefit? - Stillpoints, etc.

Reactions: JimmyS

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I have been reading through the Vivaldi thread with a lot of interest - it’s a long read, lol! I’m considering the DAC and upsampler and have been listening to the two units in my system, in comparison to the Rossini player for a few days. It’s surely the most exceptional digital I have heard and has brought me back to really enjoying my CD’s and files again - coming from a full-on analog guy.

I noticed that some people have mentioned benefits from upmarket powercords and different platforms and footers. I wonder if anyone would share their experiences in this area with more detail? - I can’t really go to a different rack, but are there other vibration control devices that might have benefit? - Stillpoints, etc.

I would try to hear the Aries Cerat Kassandra Limited edition. I notice you have some nice tube amplifiers. The Kassandra is a break away from the oversampling set, and truly great R2R DAC that takes on the best TTs. Talk to Billy or Joshua, Billy had the Vivaldi and fell in love with the Kassandra.

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL

I’ve had the Rossini (without clock) and now the Vivaldi and would highly recommend you consider the clock as it makes a significant improvement. A friend with a Rossini just added the clock after hearing my system with/without the clock.

Regarding cords: I use Shunyata Sigma Analog on the DAC, Alpha HC on the upsampler, and a Alpha Digital on the clock. All components are on a Grandprix Audio rack.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Thanks Jimmy,

Right now I’m breaking the bank with these two boxes, so I’ll need to save a bit for the clock, lol. I did get the chance to hear a Scarlatti clock on the Rossini and definitely heard the benefits there. I’m sure the Vivaldi’s clock would be a good get eventually.

I have some PC’s that I can roll through - Argento, Shunyata, Audioquest WEL signature, etc. I was just wondering if there was any consensus from people on the board in this regard - there seems to be some consensus on the Transparent digital cables for instance.... of course always with a giant shot of WMMV!

I wonder if anyone has tried Stillpoints, or similar, under the dac?

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Thanks Jimmy,

Right now I’m breaking the bank with these two boxes, so I’ll need to save a bit for the clock, lol. I did get the chance to hear a Scarlatti clock on the Rossini and definitely heard the benefits there. I’m sure the Vivaldi’s clock would be a good get eventually.

I have some PC’s that I can roll through - Argento, Shunyata, Audioquest WEL signature, etc. I was just wondering if there was any consensus from people on the board in this regard - there seems to be some consensus on the Transparent digital cables for instance.... of course always with a giant shot of WMMV!

You could look at Final Touch Audio. I am blown away by how good their Callisto USB is. Hand made by a genius. It is a giant killer, the best I have heard. They have a whole range of cables, AES, Ethernet, Mains.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks Jimmy,

All of these footers and cords will do something. It's really hard to say what will be the best in your system. I have used Shunyata and Transparent power cords on my Vivaldi. Both were improvements, and Transparent was a bit better, but more money too. I'd focus on cabling first (power and digital cords) before vibration control - just my opinion. If you have a Transparent or Shunyata dealer close by, they should be able to loan you something to try.

I'll echo the comments on the clock...it's a big deal to add when you can.

Congrats on your Vivaldi !

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
For wallet friendly digital cables: Geistnote's Apogee Wyde Eye 75? BNC Word Clock Cable for the future clock connections. DH labs for the duel AES cables.

I use the above in my system and they perform well above their price points.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

The largest improvement I saw with the Vivaldi was the addition of digital and clock cables - I started using with the cheap sample cables delivered with the stack, moved to decent but inexpensive van den Hul 75 and 110 ohm cables and later to the Transparent top digital cables.

The Transparent Reference XL power cables give a more solid soundstage, with increased dynamics and even better definition to the bass - but at this time all my cables were already from Transparent.

Curiously , IMHO the Vivaldi DAC did not react to the Critical Mass Systems center stage footers (version one) as much as preamplifiers and amplifiers do.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
All of these footers and cords will do something. It's really hard to say what will be the best in your system. I have used Shunyata and Transparent power cords on my Vivaldi. Both were improvements, and Transparent was a bit better, but more money too. I'd focus on cabling first (power and digital cords) before vibration control - just my opinion. If you have a Transparent or Shunyata dealer close by, they should be able to loan you something to try.

I'll echo the comments on the clock...it's a big deal to add when you can.

Congrats on your Vivaldi !

Hi jfrech - Being a fellow Austinite we might have something in common here.... ;)

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. I have a set of Transparent ref. XL's on the boxes right now and everything sounds very good. It does seem to be the choice of many. I also appreciate the feedback on footers..... What a great community WBF is.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi jfrech - Being a fellow Austinite we might have something in common here.... ;)

I just connected who you are ! Yes, Scott just invited me over tonight, sorry I can't make it. We'll have to get together soon

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
dCS has a new app out. dCS Mosaic control on the apple app store. New network version 500 is also available. I just downloaded both this am. Love the new app ! I always thought the former dCS app sounds slightly better than Roon...

Reactions: shapo

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
dCS has a new app out. dCS Mosaic control on the apple app store. New network version 500 is also available. I just downloaded both this am. Love the new app ! I always thought the former dCS app sounds slightly better than Roon...

Thanks for pointing it. What firmware upgrades are needed to run Mosaic? Just the upsampler?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks for pointing it. What firmware upgrades are needed to run Mosaic? Just the upsampler?

Yes. If you go to versions in the new (or old) app just click the update button...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes. If you go to versions in the new (or old) app just click the update button...

Still did not have the time to go through the upgrade - but something worries me. What is the connection between Mosaic and Roon? I currently only use Roon in my Windows server.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing