DCS Vivaldi

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
REGARDING THE NEW VIVALDI FIRMWARE UPGRADE: I would urge caution before attempting the new MQA update as notified by the Vivaldi app!

I noticed this appear on the Vivaldi app yesterday and assumed it was OK to go ahead and download the new firmware!

I was puzzled that there was no notification under NEWS on the dCS website, as there usually is, when new firmware/software is announced!

After downloading and installing the new update (which takes some time) the Vivaldi app confirms that the Upsampler Control Board and Front Panel, together with the Stream800 Interface Board, is now on Version 2.10. The Network Board Version is now 398, but the app version remains at 1.4.9.

Checking the unit status for the DAC, however, produces some odd readings, with everything at 0 and the DAC serial number not recognised.

Going back to the dCS website, I found, buried under the Support section for Vivaldi products, an information sheet, concerning this update, together with the warning that the internet downloaded update should not be attempted until a disc is obtained from a dealer/distributor, to update the DAC FIRST!

This is in RED and states that it is CRITICAL that the DAC and Upsampler are updated together!

I phoned my dealer last night and he was annoyed that he had not been made aware of this prior to the launch of the update and would contact dCS and get back to me today!

You have been warned!

Reactions: christoph

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks!

Reactions: XCop5089

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
It’s now out. The Vivaldi MQA update for the DAC and Upsampler. I used the check for new firmware in the Vivaldi iOS app. It downloaded and installed the few version, 2.10 for the Upsampler. Called my dealer and he said the DAC firmware 2.11 disc will be ready SOON, he’s trying the upgrade out in his store system. Can't wait to get it and try it out. From I’ve heard what really interests me is the “time domain” improvement I’m sure I’ve heard going to audio shows where it was shown.
My dealer has both the dac and upsampler sw installed and is trying various mqa tracks. For mqa fans seems like a important critical update. I wasn’t aware, other than bug fixes, anything else is changing. Do you think the improved time domain applies to all formats? Thanks

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Curiously our DCS distributor called a few minutes ago and I will get the disk and complete instructions later today. Unfortunately I will be busy with other audio affairs today!

ksalno

Mar 29, 2015
It’s now out. The Vivaldi MQA update for the DAC and Upsampler. I used the check for new firmware in the Vivaldi iOS app. It downloaded and installed the few version, 2.10 for the Upsampler. Called my dealer and he said the DAC firmware 2.11 disc will be ready SOON, he’s trying the upgrade out in his store system. Can't wait to get it and try it out. From I’ve heard what really interests me is the “time domain” improvement I’m sure I’ve heard going to audio shows where it was shown.
I've been checking almost every evening since early Sept since I heard it was supposed to be released "around Labor Day week". It figures the one week I'm out of town, it would be released!

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I received the information on Tuesday regarding the Vivaldi updates and as has been posted it warned to wait and perform both the Upsampler and DAC dates at the same time. I am stopping by my dealer today to pick up the DAC update. I will see if the have updated their system before I go ahead with mine. I have been looking forward to this since I moved from Rossini to Vivaldi a couple of months ago.

Reactions: jfrech

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
On Tuesday I completed the update of both my DAC and Upsampler to the latest version. I forgot how much I missed MQA after upgrading from the Rossini to the Vivaldi until this update was complete. Some albums such as Charles Lloyd and the Marvels "Vanished Gardens" featuring Lucinda Williams is absolutely stunning.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
On Tuesday I completed the update of both my DAC and Upsampler to the latest version. I forgot how much I missed MQA after upgrading from the Rossini to the Vivaldi until this update was complete. Some albums such as Charles Lloyd and the Marvels "Vanished Gardens" featuring Lucinda Williams is absolutely stunning.

Did you upgrade the DAC from the CD or from files played by a bit exact server?

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Did you upgrade the DAC from the CD or from files played by a bit exact server?

I ended up loading the file into Roon and performing the update that way. We couldn't get it to start using Audivarna so it was Roon that worked,

Reactions: shapo

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
I do the same thing for my Vivaldi DAC updates....I have a folder called updates on NAS that i can easily direct Roon to....once scanned I run through upsampler in bit perfect mode and it works great.

My updates also went smoothly and it’s great to have MQA option

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I do the same thing for my Vivaldi DAC updates....I have a foldet called updates on NAS that i can easily direct Roon to....once scanned I run through upsampler in bit perfect mode and it works great.

My updates also went smoothly and it’s great to have MQA option

I ended up loading the file into Roon and performing the update that way. We couldn't get it to start using Audivarna so it was Roon that worked,

Thanks - I have to find the time to carry it. Probably a good reason to listen to some LPs!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
My VDC and VUP were updated yesterday. Anyone know where some good MQA jazz files are? Best best to have before and after MQA to give it a good test. My first experiences with MQA.....Thanks

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
A note for those using Roon: double check the device settings in Roon to verify that the MQA setting is set for Decoder & Renderer. My setup did not default to this after I did the DAC/Upsampler updates.

Reactions: shapo

shapo

Jul 5, 2018
Thanks for the advice, just updated my DAC via Roon! I previously tried updating via PC+USB connection and was unsuccessful.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Have been using a dCS Network Bridge for about a year and a half feeding a Berkeley Ref 2 DAC. While awaiting a dCS Vivaldi DAC as an upgrade from the Berkeley, I had an opportunity to acquire a dCS Upsampler. I figured it would be a nice upgrade from the NB. Boy was I surprised. Even simply running in Clone mode it trounces the NB. I’d not thought that would be the case. While awaiting the Vivaldi DAC, I do have to put up with avoiding any music beyond 192k, as the Upsampler, unlike the NB, does not allow for downsampling. Now the only other question is whether to add the Vivaldi Clock.

Reactions: jfrech

Pol

Aug 22, 2017
Italy
The clock IS an upgrade. An audible one.
If you can, go for it.
Cheers
Paolo

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Thanks. I've been urged to splurge on the Clock cables as these make a big impact on how well the Clock does its job with the DAC and Upsampler. Has that been anyone's experience?

Pol

Aug 22, 2017
Italy
Thanks. I've been urged to splurge on the Clock cables as these make a big impact on how well the Clock does its job with the DAC and Upsampler. Has that been anyone's experience?

Unfortunately they do make a difference.
I am using crystal cables.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
That's what I'd been led to understand. I'll be using the Transparent XL initially between the Vivaldi DAC and Upsampler. So, it appears, in my case anyway, adding the Clock means adding 3 more XL's. Pretty strange that the cost of the clock is less than the 4 Clock cables. C'est la vie.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing