dCS vs Esoteric

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hi Madfloyd,
So where do you stand? Are you going to try the esoteric? Since you already like the dcs, are you just going to go for it? And if you don't try the esoteric, do you think you will regret it?

Also,
Do you like Dcs with PCM or dsd settings?

Good luck in your journey!

Not sure yet. The local Esoteric dealer doesn't allow home auditions and is too busy installing multi-million dollar home theaters to entertain me in his showroom before mid December, which means I have no real avenue to auditioning an Esoteric clock for my NADAC (or an Esoteric DAC for that matter).

As for my NADAC, I *could* spend $1000 on an external power supply (which according to KeithW helps a bit) and/or buy the Esoteric clock blind... but my gut tells me I'm better off saving my pennies towards dCS.

I've never had any dCS product in my home, nor directly auditioned it anywhere, so I don't know what settings the Rossini or Vivaldi have and can't answer your question about settings.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Incidentally, the Melbourne Hifi show has been on this weekend. I am sitting at home, contemplating whether I should go for the 3rd day or not. The DCS Rossini is on display. I have to say that it sounds fantastic with both PCM and DSD. It even does a good job on Youtube videos - something that I found very surprising given that Youtube is barely listenable even on my computer speakers. But DSD does sound better on the Rossini than PCM.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Not sure yet. The local Esoteric dealer doesn't allow home auditions and is too busy installing multi-million dollar home theaters to entertain me in his showroom before mid December, which means I have no real avenue to auditioning an Esoteric clock for my NADAC (or an Esoteric DAC for that matter).

As for my NADAC, I *could* spend $1000 on an external power supply (which according to KeithW helps a bit) and/or buy the Esoteric clock blind... but my gut tells me I'm better off saving my pennies towards dCS.

I've never had any dCS product in my home, nor directly auditioned it anywhere, so I don't know what settings the Rossini or Vivaldi have and can't answer your question about settings.

My thought is that at this level, maybe it's a good idea to find another dealer and pay for shipping so you can hear this stuff at home. I'm sure you can get a home trial of the grandioso, if you are serious. Why have regrets later?

Good Luck!

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
I have used the Esoteric g02 with a cybershaft op16, which in fact should come close to the g01, sure there will still be difference because of implementation, however spec wise (phase noise ) should have been lower than a G01 overall.

I now use a Mutec Ref10 and it is no slouch, i can live happily with it, especially now that i have 6 output used.

The esoteric's specific frequencies other than 10m are not much use especially when streaming different bit rate files as they dont automatically adjust if you are planning to use word clock frequencies.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing