Decidedly non-audiophile recommendations

Horns4life

Mar 27, 2022
Since I’m new to WBF, thought I’d throw out a couple quick recommendations on some music that the gang here may not be aware of. Disclaimer, I really don’t listen to any traditional audiophile or high-res material, everything I listen to is 44.1. I do love simple jazz such as red garland and similar but the bulk of my listening bends closer to old school alternative/rock with favorites being the early albums from bands like The Replacements, Kings of Leon, My Morning Jacket, Black Keys, etc…that hopefully sets some sort of baseline reference for these recommendations.

First recommendation is a band called My Drug Hell. Their discography is on Tidal and I really like all of it with my favorite being their first self-titled debut album, the song that actually got me into them was #4 off that album - ‘Girl at the bus stop’. If you listen to nothing else by them, I think it’s worth checking this song out at minimum. The other album I love by them is ‘The Dregs of My Drug Hell’, entire album is great but for some reason there’s something about the song ‘Waiting for Anna’ that I just can’t get enough of. I thought it worth while to post a recommendation on these guys for 2 reasons …#1-they’re pretty obscure so I’m hoping to introduce some cool new music most may not have heard of before. And #2 - these guys have such a unique sound. I honestly have never heard anything like them…it’s a paradoxical mix of super chill and laid back but in a weird way still rocks. I can honestly say that their albums are the ones I can best/easiest listen to the whole way through in one sitting without getting antsy or bored - just something so cool about these guys.

Second recommendation isn’t likely as unique and also probably won’t have as broad appeal, but it’s Jonny Polonsky, specific album ‘Hi my name is Jonny’. I really didn’t connect with his other albums at all, especially compared to this one. This album is much harsher in a way and raw, but there’s something again so unique in his sound and raspy voice that I just love. Nothing on this album could probably be deemed audiophile quality and while not my favorite song on the album, the fourth song on, ‘Evil Scurvy Love’ sounds so haunting and cool on a good system - just love it.

So that’s it. If you’re looking to check out some cool new music, here a couple that you may enjoy.

Cheers.
Seph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing