Diana Krall: Wallflower

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Classical. Only Mike's system could really do led zep the way I can imagine they sounded when the shocked the US supporting Iron Butterfly, then On Danish TV- that time such raw power was unknown

Ok, what about female jazz vocals and female jazz piano players///audiophile recordings?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ok, what about female jazz vocals and female jazz piano players///audiophile recordings?

Sopranos/mezzos for female vocals. But yes, I would like to get into jazz more. I don't use it for auditioning since I don't feel I understand it enough. So if I play a jazz track on two components and say it sounds better on A, and you say it is better on B, I won't feel sure of my own choice. I like listening to jazz when people play me good jazz music. Bill has bought some from the General and I will go to his place and just listen to jazz one day to try and understand more.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I posted a jazz player photograph before, playing a sax, and it helps to understand more what jazz is.
But that photograph is long gone now. Someday I might remember ...

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Cécile McLorin Savant - The Window
Ella Fitzgerald & Joe Pass - Easy Living
Sarah Vaughan - Crazy and Mixed Up
My three ‘go to’ demonstration albums for female vocal jazz.

For female jazz piano there’s only one for me, Patricia Barber.

And for some really good sounding jazz, if your all digital, are those HDTT transfers to DSD eg. kenny Burrell, Ahmad Jamal and Wes Montgomery.

Blue58

Reactions: Skylab

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I posted a jazz player photograph before, playing a sax, and it helps to understand more what jazz is.
But that photograph is long gone now. Someday I might remember ...

I have some good jazz reference LPs from Hank Mobley and others, also previously had used CDs from cannon ball adderley and one called Blues in the bassment by Lalo Schifrin, but apart from telling me that horns are the best speakers, I didn't feel as confident in my assessments as I do with classical. I felt with jazz there was a much broader acceptable component landscape. With classical to me I could eliminate more easily

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Sopranos/mezzos for female vocals. But yes, I would like to get into jazz more. I don't use it for auditioning since I don't feel I understand it enough. So if I play a jazz track on two components and say it sounds better on A, and you say it is better on B, I won't feel sure of my own choice. I like listening to jazz when people play me good jazz music. Bill has bought some from the General and I will go to his place and just listen to jazz one day to try and understand more.

Minor correction Ked. I have around 500 vinyl albums in this “genre”

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes but I will listen to the ones you bought from him not the ones you bought before when you had focal

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Yes but I will listen to the ones you bought from him not the ones you bought before when you had focal

Sorry Ked. I have been buying these for nearly a year from General. I have over 150 from General himself if not more.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Sorry Ked. I have been buying these for nearly a year from General. I have over 150 from General himself if not more.

You are confused because I recently ordered another mini collection. I bought another one in March last year - a larger one. And I have been accumulating the majority of my jazz stuff last year week in, week out.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You are confused because I recently ordered another mini collection. I bought another one in March last year - a larger one. And I have been accumulating the majority of my jazz stuff last year week in, week out.

Ok then, if we do 10 a day, that is 50 visits

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Reactions: bonzo75

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Best female vocal I have is Sarah Vaughan, Sarah Vaughan 1954. It sounds so naturally transparent almost like a diy recording. You can smell the 50's...hear everything in that recording venue..all the cues, skin of snare, nuances, flute wind, room ambient, imperfections and of course her beautiful home grown voice. I have most Diana Krall's non of them get close to this.

Kind regards,
Tang

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
love Ella and Sarah Vaughn too, but maybe my early Billie Holiday mono pressings are my fav female vocal. they ruin me for anything else when i listen to them.

sigh. i suppose now i have to re-mount my Miyajima Labs mono cart so i can listen.

and, of course, there is Eva.....always Eva. with Eva i am format agnostic.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
sigh. i suppose now i have to re-mount my Miyajima Labs mono cart so i can listen.

and, of course, there is Eva.....always Eva.

I think your GFS can play better on mono than even the mono cart on so many aspects Sir.

Ahh..of course Eva too...moving from vintage recording studio air to a pub atmosphere.

Kindest regards,
Tang

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I think your GFS can play better on mono than even the mono cart on so many aspects Sir.

Ahh..of course Eva too...moving from vintage recording studio air to a pub atmosphere.

Kindest regards,
Tang

in the particular case of an early mono of Billie's 'Body and Soul', the Miyajima Mono Be easily bettered my beloved GFS head to head. part of it is the noise issue, where a pure mono stylus is able to ignore surface noise that the GFS cannot. it's just physics. the emotional content of the mono on mono was superior. and my 45rpm re-issue mono of Body and Soul is pale/remote sounding in direct comparison to that mono pressing. me and my guests who heard it a few different times thought it not close.

i've not done that compare for a year or two now.

i totally agree that there are no absolutes when it comes to cartridges and mono pressings. each case is unique. a certain percentage of early mono's are better on a mono cartridge, but another percentage are better on a top stereo cartridge. and maybe if i owned an equally 'expensive' mono cartridge to my GFS there would be a different result. i've not tried that myself to know.

Reactions: bonzo75 and Tango

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
love Ella and Sarah Vaughn too, but maybe my early Billie Holiday mono pressings are my fav female vocal. they ruin me for anything else when i listen to them.

and, of course, there is Eva.....always Eva. with Eva i am format agnostic.

Also a big Billie fan!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing