Did I just destroy 6 records?

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I’m using an iSonic P4875II UCM, and I normally start the records spinning before starting the ultrasonic tank. I did a run of six records, not realizing that I had accidentally flicked on the spinner somehow, and wound up flicking it off instead of on when I started this cleaning cycle. It didn’t realize what happened until I walked by between 90 seconds and two minutes later. Did I just ruin 6 records? The spinner has a custom controller that spins the records normally at 0.5 RPM.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
The only advice I can offer is to play them and see. In 40 years of using RCMs, I’ve only ruined one record, and that occurred because I took a phone call in the middle of a cleaning cycle, and let the record ride too long in the cleaning solution (HW17 and VPI cleaning fluid back in 1987 when IPA was in the mixture). Hopefully, you’re ok, but play them and see.

FWIW, I was cleaning that record for an acquaintance and it was a rare copy. I felt obligated to find him a replacement and so I turned to Goldmine. It took a few weeks, but my quest was successful. I replaced the record I’d ruined. All’s well that ends well. He worked for WPLN, the local classical music station of NPR. I was embarrassed. But I was happy that I could make it right.

Last edited:
Reactions: tony22

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I’m using an iSonic P4875II UCM, and I normally start the records spinning before starting the ultrasonic tank. I did a run of six records, not realizing that I had accidentally flicked on the spinner somehow, and wound up flicking it off instead of on when I started this cleaning cycle. It didn’t realize what happened until I walked by between 90 seconds and two minutes later. Did I just ruin 6 records? The spinner has a custom controller that spins the records normally at 0.5 RPM.

I doubt you ruined your records, 1/3-1/2 a side sitting in the tank for 2 minutes at what, 40 kHz? The records would be at least that much exposed during a cleaning cycle, just not continuously. The best way to know their status is by playing them

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
DIW, .0075% Tergitol, 2.5% IPA. But I think Tim got it right. The total spin time is much greater than the time the records sat still, so it probably shouldn’t be much of a problem. I’ll listen to them tomorrow.

Neil.Antin

Jul 9, 2021
@tony22

No harm. The bath temperature and the duration were not enough, the lower power of the Isonic unit notwithstanding.

Here is an example that caused damage Elmasonic P60 (powerful unit), 0.15-rpm, 20-min cycle time and the water temp >50C.

Note that your Isonic is not a very powerful unit. The manufacturer ratings are one thing, but how fast the bath heats is the real indication of the power that actually gets into the tank. The Elmasonic units heat the bath quickly, they are powerful units, and for serial cleaning, installing a pump/filter/radiator system is necessary to keep the bath temp <100F/37.8C.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Yep. I played a few. No harm done.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing