* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Last night ...

"A hotel room shootout between two assassins kicks off a long night where bodies fall like dominoes, as we follow a chain of crooked cops, gangsters, hitmen, a femme Fatale and an ex-mercenary through a relay of murder, betrayal, revenge and redemption."

That was ... different. Filmed on location in Bogotá, Colombia, in street blocks where there's an hotel facing another hotel and two hitmen are playing with each other. That's the opening, the rest comes with what happened before, and after and back to the beginning...s bit like Tarantino time's capsule in some of his films but far away from his style.

Stylish it has few ingredients. The atmosphere smells dangerous, risqué, not exactly where you want to be with those characters. So there's that element of danger present.

Cage is Cage, the guy plays in a lot of movies but they are not memorable many of them. You like his style or you don't, it's a free choice.

Here we have some interesting characters to interact with him. They are not sympathetic but composed. Speaking of composed the music score I like @ certain places, in particular the closing tune...Calling Andrea.

? https://www.mariogrigorov.com/kill-chain

Nothing to fret over about the picture, but I like the decors; with that element of danger always there. Bogotá is not your travel vacation type of paradise destination. Certainly not in that neighborhood and @ night.

It's not a great movie, it's not a good movie, it's not a very bad movie, it's not a bad movie, it's a serviceable cure during a pandemic. And because of that plus my own taste in music and in stylish genre with those characters it did distract me from the pandemic, good.

Overall: 65

If you are looking for a Cinderella story this is not.
If you are looking for a pristine accurate realistic film this is not.
If you are looking for a mistake-free made movie this is not.

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
View attachment 41916

I re-watched Pacific Rim. BAD BAD movie. I have a list of new movies to watch and another list of movies to re-watch. This one should have been on a list of "why did I buy in the first place?". My guess would be that I purchased it in the first place for the possibility of great bass. There was lots of bass but not great. For someone who is as easily entertained as I am with "action flicks" this one failed to entertain me. BAD BAD movie.

View attachment 41917

Then, however, I watched Blade Runner 2049. This I enjoyed. Not perfect (a bit too long) but I most certainly got into the movie. AND the Atmos sound was most excellent. And the way they re-wove Harrison Ford into the movie was perfect. While I won't be re-watching anytime soon, I could see myself doing so in a few years.

Lastly, I "fell in love" with Ana De Armas!! WOWZER !!!

View attachment 41918
She is a wowser

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
I watched this recently @ home:

It's a cool flick, smooth, relatively slow going overall, mostly dark, with some brighter scenes, mystery science fiction with few twists and thrills and twirls. Right from the opening scene, after the text introduction, it opens with an eye wide open, as in the original, and the vertigo sound effect, synthesizer, is tremendously earth shaking and bone trembling. That, for the 2D version (I also watched the 3D version).

There are several elements I liked in this film; some of the cinematography, the lighting, the smooth movements of the lights and of the camera, the audio impact, synthesizer sounds, music score, the atmospheric decadence, the attraction...hologram, futuristic flying car, some decor sets, actresses, ...

It is quite long @ 164 minutes, so it's not an easy task to master when you're not sixteen anymore, but well in your sixties. Best to be in good form, plenty of sleep the night before, and have an earlier supper. ...For me anyway, I don't know about you.

Overall: 83

Extra:

• Visuals: 96 (in 3D: 66)
• Audio: 95 (in 3D: 70)
• Acting: 80
• Film only: 83
• The director: Denis Villeneuve (Arrival, Sicario)

Last word: It's a high recommendation for the festival of son et lumiere, in a discrete way. ...And not so discrete @ times, particularly for the sound.
It's all part of the experience, I still prefer the original, but this one has 35 years of advanced technology in it. If you think about it, we are going real slow. That is my opinion of course, what's yours?

other than Anna De Armas, I was quite a bit disappointed. Its a far cry from the original IMO

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing