* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

tt0948470.jpgtt1386703.jpg

Caught up on some blu rays (rented) of the new "Amazing Spider Man" and "Total Recall".

Liked both of them. The dweeby British actor who played Peter Parker seemed to pull it off. I liked the prior series, but the new one seems more humanistic, if that makes any sense for a blatant fantasy flick. Movie goers must be getting jaded, seemed this one also had some bad press.

Total Recall has a lot of "easter egg" tributes to previous sic fi movies, Blade Runner and Minority Report in particular. Maybe the sic fi movie of the future will just be an a la carte splice and dice of the generational greats. Only one beast, the homicidal, ninja, rageful "ex-wife" who dogs to the end, and doesn't even have a divorce lawyer. Colin Farrell would lose an alternating "pec tango" with Arny, but maybe that's a good thing. Gratuitous three breasted hooker as from the original, no disappointment there, but I missed Mars. I loved the "lens flares" a la Blade Runner during the film, and when I watched the commentaries from the blu ray, they purposely ordered construction of lenses based on the old, obsolete types just to get this effect in the film, it wasn't just CGI lens flares.

Both movies have great CGI and are entertaining, elaborate popcorn movies.

Watched with Sony OLED visors on Playsation 3, using the full surround system "in the room" in Santa Cruz, a surprisingly effective and immersive way to watch these. Those OLEDs are sure purty.

Last edited:
51cwl8ke25L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

"A Dangerous Method"

David Cronenberg, erstwhile of the creepy B horror movie fame ("Scanners" is one of my all time faves), crafted a thoughtful and wonderfully acted movie about the early psychiatric pioneers Jung and Freud.

The movie is apparently a multi faceted diamond. I was curious about what others thought and read through multiple reviews. It seems few individuals had the same particular view, with opinions ranging from stultifying boredom to magnificent, some fixating on the historical elements, some on the increasingly volatile relationship between Freud and Jung, some on aspects of religion, sociology and culture.

My own view is that the movie portrays a kind of glib futility. The early psychiatric pioneers attempted to forge a manipulable mechanistic/scientific view of the mind, wresting that role from the traditional interpretations of religion, morality, spirituality, mythology, literature and interpersonal, generational wisdoms. They donned some rather shabby mantles of unflappable objectivity, but had no handle ultimately on their own minds or tendencies.

Freud succumbed to alpha dog intellectualism and jealousy, Jung to Oedipal rebellion and mysticism.

The movie moves in elegant baby steps to its eventually powerful emotional subtleties.

Jung allows his moral compass to be tilted and seduced by a client therapist, the drug addicted and sociopathic Otto Gross. Gross' view was that the authoritarian role of the therapist merely justified access to patients for personal and sexual exploitation, which he called "freedom." Our last view of Gross is humping a beleaguered nurse then escaping shirtless over the hospital wall.

The tainted Jung, however, his moral compass thinned, finally succumbs to an affair with his patient/student/colleague. He even re-enacts with her the scenes of sexual masochism, which presumably were what caused her initial sexual hysteria.

There is a fairly priceless scene in which Jung, having had his fun, employs the typical male posture of hyper rationalism to end the affair, while the abandoned colleague/patient/student counters with hyper emotionalism and reactivity, apparently a scenario that the psychiatric profession had not yet mastered, the disentanglement of love and libido without leaving wound tracts.

The movie ends with Jung vividly depressed, having revisited his folly of the mistress/student/patient once again with a different woman, decisively alienated from Freud, and on the verge of a nervous breakdown prior to WWI.

Gorgeous period cinematography, great music score, top notch acting. It didn't bore me a bit, but I could see how it might bore some people.

Watched on Sony VPL VW200.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review, Carl. I've actually liked a couple of his movies, The Fly was very well done, as was the movie about the crazy twin doctors. There were a couple of others too, including History of Violence. I had a hard time with his movie Crash, as distinguished from the other one of that title, which I loved.
We watched Flight the other night on ppv, it was much better than I expected. ditto, skyfall, which i only caught a few nights ago as well, also on ppv. really entertaining. haven't watched any 'serious' films lately, would love to see the documentary about Ginger Baker, but I'm sure that will be available soon enough on Vudu.

Last night ::

-- 639_BD_box_348x490.jpg

* The first two discs; disc #3 tonight.
...You guys already know about these three music/picture documentaries, without words.
But this 3-disc Blu-ray set is it! ...Good for the mind, for the soul, for the knowledge,
for the conscience.

If like me you think life is important, the essence of our existence makes any sense, or not,
get this set, on Blu-ray.

I watched a UK indie romance that I thought was brilliant, and possibly a modern day classic.

It's called Comes A Bright Day.

-- ...29% over at Rotten Tomatoes. ;):D ...Comes a not so bright day. ;) ------------- Just kidding; films are like art paintings ....

Bob,

The biggest insult you could ever give me would be to call me mainstream. :D

I suppose Comes A Bright Day is as close to mainstream as I get, however. My usual fare is foreign language films. My favorites are typically Russian, Romanian and Danish. They approach film in a way that I find fresh and engaging, and I'm certain that Rotten Tomatoes would hate them all.

Bob,

The biggest insult you could ever give me would be to call me mainstream. :D

I suppose Comes A Bright Day is as close to mainstream as I get, however. My usual fare is foreign language films. My favorites are typically Russian, Romanian and Danish. They approach film in a way that I find fresh and engaging, and I'm certain that Rotten Tomatoes would hate them all.

I would never insult anyone. ...But I'm playful, and like to play like childrens do, and have fun and be happy.

What I like the most about you is that you have the guts to post what you just posted. :D

Bob,

I've been spitting into the wind and challenging the status quo my entire life. I don't see changing now.

A Russian film that I highly recommend is The Edge, a 2012 movie. Rotten Tomatoes doesn't know what to think of it, yet. :D

;)Glad to see you back, Bob.

I was beginning to think you were a bot Amir invented to keep the threads going on auto pilot.

Guess you are a real person, banned and everything. Congratulations!

-- View attachment 8262

* The first two discs; disc #3 tonight.
...You guys already know about these three music/picture documentaries, without words.
But this 3-disc Blu-ray set is it! ...Good for the mind, for the soul, for the knowledge,
for the conscience.

If like me you think life is important, the essence of our existence makes any sense, or not,
get this set, on Blu-ray.

Welcome back Bob!:D

Thanks for posting that Criterion release...I'll have to pick it up!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing