* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

You seem to be on a Francis Ford Coppola streak...

You seem to be on a Francis Ford Coppola streak...

You have a keen eye Floyd; indeed that was the third Coppola's flick.

* Sometimes with movies, and with music, I stay within the same director, or composer, for a small stretch. ...Could last few hours, few days, or even for a week or so. And it's a very good way to explore deeper inside the artist's mind.

L.A. Confidential

The Blu-ray comes with an extra separate bonus disc: a CD Music Sampler => Six tunes from six different Jazz artists. :cool:

1. Johnny Mercer and The Pied Pipers - Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive
2. Chet Baker - Look for the Silver Lining
3. Betty Hutton - Hit the Road to Dreamland
4. Kay Starr - Wheel of Fortune
5. Jackie Gleason - But Not for Me
6. Dean Martin - Powder your Face with Sunshine (Smile! Smile! Smile!)

* And the Blu-ray movie disc itself has a Music-Only track (5.1) showcasing Jerry Goldsmith's score.

-- 68796_large.jpg

* Only for people who appreciate Brian De Palma's artistic cinematography and subjects of sensuality in a non-conformist construction of the cinema art form itself; with a true dedicated passion. ...For people like me. :b ...Seductive voyeurism, erotica, viewed through the lens of a master,
and resulting in a beautiful picture quality of high caliber on Blu-ray.
- And the orchestral music score by Pino Donaggio is beautifully seductive as well.

Last edited:
-- View attachment 11754

* Only for people who appreciate Brian De Palma's artistic cinematography and subjects of sensuality in a non-conformist construction of the cinema art form itself; with a true dedicated passion. ...For people like me. :b ...Seductive voyeurism, erotica, viewed through the lens of a master,
and resulting in a beautiful picture quality of high caliber on Blu-ray.
- And the orchestral music score by Pino Donaggio is beautifully seductive as well.

Hmm, first user review on imdb:

Unintentionally hilarious

2 March 2013 | by Greenzombidog (United Kingdom) – See all my reviews
Advertising execs stab each other in the back over their careers and a an average looking cockney scrub in this mediocre pantomime thriller.

Rachel Mcadams is given the opportunity to prove she is more than just a rom-com princess in the role of the manipulative boss lady to Noomi Rapace's Ad campaign creator, an opportunity she squanders. It's not entirely her fault though with such a terrible script to work with there wasn't a lot she could do. Noomi Rapace is dreadful, for me she hasn't yet been convincing in an English language role and she is just either wooden or over the top in this. The plot twists are visible with your eyes closed and nothing will be a surprise. The only thing that kept me watching were the laughs and this isn't a comedy. Some of the dialogue is so stupid I just kept feeling my jaw drop.

When Rachel Mcadams tells a tragic story from her characters childhood and her and Noomi Rapace are just sat there sobbing it actually made me laugh because the acting was so terrible and the words they were saying were so poorly written. Add to this the amount of times you get one of those suddenly waking up from a dream moments (a cheap movie trick thats overused) that the film becomes a bit of a mess. So much of this is poor even down to the add campaign that triggers the war between these two women. Their clients are in such raptures over this dreadful idea that it's ridiculous. Also the rough looking guy they chose to play the love interest adds another comedy element to it. Why would these two attractive successful women be tearing each other apart over this guy?

I'm sure I read on some of the advertising that this was supposed to be an erotic thriller. There were no erotic moments in this film anywhere. I think someone pulled a dildo out a drawer at some point and there was a lesbian smooch thats all the eroticism you get I'm afraid.

I can't believe this was directed by De Palma. I have enjoyed many of his films in the past and I hope this is just a blip and not the shape of the things to come

62 of 87 people found this review helpful.

That's not a bad review Floyd, there are much worst than that.

By the way, eroticism is not always related to feminine people. This guy is from the UK and with a UK view (restricted by conventionalism).
He goes for the film's characters, I go for the cinematic art.

Who do you trust more? People with a restricted and conventional vision, or people with a view on the absolute cinematic art form?
A movie like that is a fiction based on a fiction (a remake). And its construction is an artistic entertainment; visually, and aurally, and today.
In cinema, too many people put too much emphasis on accuracy of fictitious people's character developments. ...That is total non-sense.
Only the content of the subject matters, and everything around it that contributes at elevating it; the art of showing it with cinematography, and musical scoring, and by rising above conventionalism with an open imagination.

Tomorrow there won't be any more actors and actresses, only messages. ;)

Some of the greatest films were the most despised. ...Same with people. ...With time, the poorest composers and painters become the most celebrated, and their art demands millions and millions ($$$).
It takes an eternity for man to finally appreciate the masterpieces from the maestros. ...Music, Painting, Sculpture, Cinema.

This guy's vision is restricted, limited to his own understanding and set of own values.

The best films in history are unknown, or/and very obscure to the masses.
Why do you think that the best collectors of the world look for exclusivity? ...In audio, in films, in art, in paintings, in wines, in money collections, in stamps, in pottery, in toys (all kinds), in cars, in trains, in planes, in everything. ...Rarity (exclusive) is the true value; including motion picture (inclusive).

'Passion'; go for it, and make your own mind based on your own vision.

Last edited:

* This time the extended 2D version: Better.

-> 8 more minutes, and with very fast action camera work it is much better picture quality wise in 2D than in 3D.
Audio is great, and the "Z" are super super fast!
And of course there are many big holes (duh, like windows ...), but for me it still beats any Star Trek flicks, anytime. ...Even the last two.

If you like horror, violence (guns), sci-fi, very fast zombies (particularity), bad viruses that spread quick, apocalyptic end of the world; then you might be well served.
- Reminds me of some reality in the real world ....

Last edited:
* This time the extended 2D version: Better.

-> 8 more minutes, and with very fast action camera work it is much better picture quality wise in 2D than in 3D.
Audio is great, and the "Z" are super super fast!
And of course there are many big holes (duh, like windows ...), but for me it still beats any Star Trek flicks, anytime. ...Even the last two.

If you like horror, violence (guns), sci-fi, very fast zombies (particularity), bad viruses that spread quick, apocalyptic end of the world; then you might be well served.
- Reminds me of some reality in the real world ....

I have to admit that these types of movies are a guilty pleasure for me. Thanks, Bob.

I have to admit that these types of movies are a guilty pleasure for me. Thanks, Bob.

No sweat Floyd; like I said I prefer this flick over the last Star Trek (Into Darkness) film. It's more fun; the zombies. :b And I like more the actors too.
In Star Trek (the last two ones), the actors are made of plastic! :D

But don't look for anything smart here; there ain't any. ...Pure diversion. ...Just like our own world. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing