Do cable pricing and economics mix?

dgale

Sep 22, 2020
Wondering if economies of scale apply to high end audio cables - or to the audiophile market in general.

If so, then “boutique” products of comparable quality should be more costly than comparable “mass-produced” cables (Transparent, Synergistic Research, etc.)

There is greater overhead in larger manufacturers, so that may level pricing somewhat.

OTOH, it’s just plain silly to attempt to pin audiophile prices to any rational measure. It’s just “get what you can” from dopes like me.

Wondering if economies of scale apply to high end audio cables - or to the audiophile market in general.

If so, then “boutique” products of comparable quality should be more costly than comparable “mass-produced” cables (Transparent, Synergistic Research, etc.)

There is greater overhead in larger manufacturers, so that may level pricing somewhat.

OTOH, it’s just plain silly to attempt to pin audiophile prices to any rational measure. It’s just “get what you can” from dopes like me.
I do not think so, as the folks that are buying 'Boutique" products are a more mature and economically established. I would hardly call Transparent or SR cables "Mass Produced" as they are all hand made. I would say your mass produced ICPC/SC would be found on site like Amazon with cheap molded connectors and lamp cord type cable.

Last edited:
Reactions: dgale
IME, price is a poor indicator of performance with LAN cables. System matching is the key to better sound.

Ethernet cables mostly affect tonality. Using a bright sounding cable in an already bright system won't be good, but a bright sounding cable in a darker sounding system can be a major improvement, even with a $20 mass-produced cable.

Where a cable is deployed in the network is also important. The nearer the DAC, the greater the influence on SQ.

Since the sonic performance of cables is subjective it is axiomatic that price is going to be a poor predictor of sonic "performance."

Just to make cables even more of a morass I personally think that objective design characteristics (metallurgy, plating, winding, dielectric, sheath, etc.) are not a very reliable predictor a priori of sonic characteristics.

i know with LFD cables made by Dr. Richard Bews in the UK, for his higher end cables the physical efforts, and environment, of building the cables which are hand made by him, has caused him health issues over time, and greatly limited his ability to build them and satisfy demand. and the materials he uses are expensive.

but how many higher end cables are machine made? how many are hand made? not claiming that one is technically better than another. never made a cable myself, or know anything about the tech involved.

i think you buy the cables, and listen, and then do the personal equation. knowing that the price is never going to be popularly accepted. we mostly don't see cables, so we don't get the 'bling-bling' decision reinforcement during our listening. and have to put up with flack that comes with it.

Reactions: dgale
Since the sonic performance of cables is subjective it is axiomatic that price is going to be a poor predictor of sonic "performance."

Just to make cables even more of a morass I personally think that objective design characteristics (metallurgy, plating, winding, dielectric, sheath, etc.) are not a very reliable predictor a priori of sonic characteristics.

What you said is true of most gear

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing