Do I Need a media Server, or is There a Simpler and Better Solution?

elrod

Apr 4, 2016
Whenever I do research on Media Servers, I just get overwhelmed by all the variables of what the mentioned hardware is, what it can or cannot do, and how that hardware interfaces with other hardware. I’m looking for a clean, high quality, relatively inexpensive solution (I know - HAH!).

I do not plan on streaming music such as using Roon. I currently just listen to FLAC files on my PC connected to my DAC through a 10 ft. + USB extender. Would like to get my physical media much closer to my DAC while keeping my PC in the same location. I'm open to how my FLAC files are stored.

In my perfect little world this is what I'd like to see happen:

When using my Media Monkey app I have loaded on my PC, Media Monkey talks with the storage device sitting next to my DAC.

Then I would like my storage device to send the FLAC files directly to my DAC using the standard interfaces of XLR, USB, COAX, or AES

I have an Singxer SU-2 audio bridge laying around that can be used if needed

Am I suffering from wishful thinking and being naïve for a Quality sounding, clean, and cheap solution?

MaxwellsEq

Mar 18, 2023
I've found a Synology NAS fine. The NAS has the FLACs etc. Computers access the files through an SMB mount. Streamer access the files through UNPNP.

geetee1972

Feb 12, 2021
B
Whenever I do research on Media Servers, I just get overwhelmed by all the variables of what the mentioned hardware is, what it can or cannot do, and how that hardware interfaces with other hardware. I’m looking for a clean, high quality, relatively inexpensive solution (I know - HAH!).

I do not plan on streaming music such as using Roon. I currently just listen to FLAC files on my PC connected to my DAC through a 10 ft. + USB extender. Would like to get my physical media much closer to my DAC while keeping my PC in the same location. I'm open to how my FLAC files are stored.

In my perfect little world this is what I'd like to see happen:

When using my Media Monkey app I have loaded on my PC, Media Monkey talks with the storage device sitting next to my DAC.

Then I would like my storage device to send the FLAC files directly to my DAC using the standard interfaces of XLR, USB, COAX, or AES

I have an Singxer SU-2 audio bridge laying around that can be used if needed

Am I suffering from wishful thinking and being naïve for a Quality sounding, clean, and cheap solution?
Basically you're using your PC a your music server along with a very long USB cable. From my understanding, USB cables can be long without issue but the cables themselves make a huge difference to the overall sound quality - I know this is contentious because people asset that all USB cables are identical, but turns out they are not - witness that some USB cables work with my DAC and some don't, ergo, there must be differences in the cable's construction.

If you want to improve SQ without having to switch to a dedicated music server, then you can invest in a good USB cable plus an external reclocker from someone like Ideon Audio (their 3r clocker is excellent).

However, even if we ignore streaming from services like Qobuz and Tidal, and interfaces like Roon, a dedicated music server will offer a significant improvement in playback over your PC. I can highly recommend LDMS as a provider of extremely capable but very competitively priced servers. Have a look on this forum here:

omasciarotte

Feb 24, 2022
Saint Paul MN US
www.maat.digital
Hi elrod,

Have you considered a server appliance? I’m reviewing Cambridge Audio’s MXN10, their entry level but good sounding (equal to Media Monkey though not as syrupy) very capable streamer/server. It accepts an external USB storage device, streams Qobuz, TIDAL and Spotify, acts as a Bluetooth/Airplay/Chromecast end point. It also understands Internet Radio and is Roon–Ready. Oy! All that for a budget–busting…$500.
The MXN10 is one of many similar products that range in price from $150 for the crazy good LinkPlay WiiM Pro to many, many thousand for very hi–fi pieces from T+A and other high end manufacturers. The beauty of this category is plug–and–play; no “overwhelmed by all the variables.”

Reactions: AdamZ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing