... baby steps in digital setup

I think this looks really interesting, @tedwoods. At first glance I thought it was a 2-port switch but it purports to be effectively 2 FMCs in one case. Great price too! For audio, the LEDs aren’t ideal and don’t really add any value; but it would be interesting to hear feedback from anyone using one.

I think this looks really interesting, @tedwoods. At first glance I thought it was a 2-port switch but it purports to be effectively 2 FMCs in one case. Great price too! For audio, the LEDs aren’t ideal and don’t really add any value; but it would be interesting to hear feedback from anyone using one.
It seems the LEDs can be turned off (there is a switch for that), but I'm not sure if that includes the port LEDs as well...

Reactions: NigelB
It seems the LEDs can be turned off (there is a switch for that), but I'm not sure if that includes the port LEDs as well...
That would be a bonus. Obviously there are compromises here - shared power supply across upstream and downstream sides, adjacent circuitry allowing for noise leakage from upstream to downstream etc but for the price, that’s a heck of a lot of tech.

It is generally considered far better to store files on the network, especially if you are using a fibre rather than a copper connection, than connecting a noisy USB device connected with a wire that carries 5 V power. USB is easy, but it’s really not recommended. There are plenty of companies making high-quality streamers who have always refused to enable USB data input connections, this was the case with my first streamer from Linn and the Innuos streamers that I’ve been using since 2016.

This is the kind of device. Dead easy to set up.

WD 8TB My Cloud Home Personal Cloud​

I want to say that I've found network connections considerably more noisy than an external USB drive. I have an 2TB drive connected to the back of my EMM Labs NS1 streamer (which I use the optilink optical output). With the USB, a Shunyata Omega USB cable and a couple iFi purifier dongles (iGalvanic 3.0, iSilencer) are able to get most, if not all the noise. With an ethernet connection, the rabbit hole to clean that up is endless and eventually you work up into Taiko Audio stuff which gets really expensive. I've personally not ever come to a point where network streamed stuff didn't have some overly of noise. FWIW.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing