• Yes

Votes: 132 71.7%
  • No

Votes: 52 28.3%

• Total voters

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
What's a compac
Did you donate your compact discs to the Salvation Army or use them for target practice, or do you still have them on your shelf?

What are the advantages, if any, of playing compact discs, rather than streaming the exact same title and recording through a streamer + DAC?

If you still have and play compact discs, what CD transport do you use?
What's a compact disc?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Did you donate your compact discs to the Salvation Army or use them for target practice, or do you still have them on your shelf?
A very judgmental, biased (anti-digital) comment IMHO and totally inappropriate as a co-owner of WBF. The above post is a very good example of the elitism that exists around this A vs D discussion. I use my CDP all the time. It is my main source for music listening. I have no interest in streaming or vinyl. I thought we were through having these pointless repetitive endless debates about personal preferences. Guess not.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh, Ron is using his 7" singles as coasters and 12" LPs as placemats, so those uses for CDs are totally consistent.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The results of the first 35 votes may reflect selection bias due to at least some who don't play CD's not responding? Otherwise the results may be different than what Ron expected?

Mr Rickz

Dec 26, 2019
Southern California
A very judgmental, biased (anti-digital) comment IMHO and totally inappropriate as a co-owner of WBF. The above post is a very good example of the elitism that exists around this A vs D discussion. I use my CDP all the time. It is my main source for music listening. I have no interest in streaming or vinyl. I thought we were through having these pointless repetitive endless debates about personal preferences. Guess not.
I took it as a joke.

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London

What are the advantages, if any, of playing compact discs, rather than streaming the exact same title and recording through a streamer + DAC?

If you still have and play compact discs, what CD transport do you use?

Yes.

Sounds better.

marantz cd 94. Modified.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
CDs may follow the path of vinyl death and rebirth - there are so damn many of them. Look at the people who donated their record collections to charity or the shooting range who are now buying back, having wished they'd hung on to their collections. (...)
Not sure about CD's, as they are almost indestructible and exist in very large quantities, but it is already happening for SACDs - some reach very high prices, the Genesis SACD box will cost as much as the MFSL Beatles box ...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

I apologize if I triggered some sensitivity of yours. I actually intended the question to be completely neutral, as I personally have a compact disc collection totaling around 200 CDs.

Other than trying to be a bit tongue-in-cheek, perhaps, I was not intending to be pejorative or disparaging toward compact discs.

You see the title of the thread is a simple, neutral question. I asked a positive question; I did not intend to make a normative declaration. In fact, I did not make a normative declaration.

And neither vinyl nor analog was mentioned or implied.

Again, I am sorry that I offended you.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The results of the first 35 votes may reflect selection bias due to at least some who don't play CD's not responding? Otherwise the results may be different than what Ron expected?

Since compact discs came before streaming, I assumed that anyone who has a digital playback capability likely has conpact discs and can play them. Putting it another way, I figured that if I still have compact discs, then most people probably still have compact discs.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) You see the title of the thread is a simple, neutral question. (...)

No Ron, IMHO the neutral question would be "Do you play Compact Discs?"

Again IMHO another neutral question would be "Do you still play LPs?" ;)

BTW, I answer yes to all of them, including tape, cassette and Edison cylinders - the gramophone currently needs a new clock spring.

Reactions: rando

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Not so, yet, for SACDs but we are getting there.
How are you going to rip them? As far as I know all the usual methods need a lot of work.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I apologize if I triggered some sensitivity of yours. I actually intended the question to be completely neutral, as I personally have a compact disc collection totaling around 200 CDs.

Other than trying to be a bit tongue-in-cheek, perhaps, I was not intending to be pejorative or disparaging toward compact discs.

You see the title of the thread is a simple, neutral question. I asked a positive question; I did not intend to make a normative declaration. In fact, I did not make a normative declaration.

And neither vinyl nor analog was mentioned or implied.

Again, I am sorry that I offended you.
Thank you Ron for your gracious response. Bottom line. This hobby is about enjoying music regardless of the playback devices used to attain that goal and not disparaging (by reference or innuendo) those who choose one "messenger" versus another.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
How are you going to rip them? As far as I know all the usual methods need a lot of work.
Probably why he responded "getting there". It can be a bit time consuming.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
when we were setting up the system, joe cali sent a gryphon scorpio transport to test against the innuos statement. the 3 of us agreed that we could discern no difference from ripped to native playback. joe/phillip o’hanlon also wanted to send the gryphon ethos out for a try but its too high a price point although reviews are very positive.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I would not say that. It is trivial with the right equipment. I keep a couple of Oppos for it. All I have to do is load the SACD and, at my PC, start the program to rip and store an ISO on my PC. Takes only a few minutes. (I can play the ISOs but I just keep them for B/U and extract the MCH tracks as DSFs using the same program.)

I've done thousands but, these days, I only do 1-2 a week.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Probably why he responded "getting there". It can be a bit time consuming.
Nope. What I meant by that is that not all releases can be obtained by download yet, so I am still forced to rip some SACDs. Of course, there are others that are available only as download but we are just "getting there." ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I would not say that. It is trivial with the right equipment. I keep a couple of Oppos for it. All I have to do is load the SACD and, at my PC, start the program to rip and store an ISO on my PC. Takes only a few minutes. (I can play the ISOs but I just keep them for B/U and extract the MCH tracks as DSFs using the same program.)

I've done thousands but, these days, I only do 1-2 a week.
Thanks - what is the program you are using?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing