Does Analog EQ belong in State of the Art Systems?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
If it needs EQ, it is noy SOTA. ;)

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Buy the Schiit one for $1500 and find out. If you love it, spend $8000 on one with a name that doesn't sound better.
I tried the Schiit in the hope at might be useful for the occasionally over bright recording. It had absolutely no ameliorative effect! And in my system, I believe it took a hit on transparency.

I think Schiit’s a great company, though. And they made it easy to return.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
All kidding aside. We all use EQ For example speaker placement and room treatment. It is just a matter of approach. Do you want to do it pre or post speaker. or both.

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
I optimized my system and room to the best of my abilities and decided, this past weekend, to bring in an acoustics consultant to wring out the last 5-10%. Lots of great testimonials from happy customers. But there was an interesting twist. He is a digital guy who works mostly with other digital guys who have DSP in their systems. I haven’t completely decided if he was able to improve my sound, but it was quite interesting to see changes via his real time analyzer when we added, moved and removed treatments. Very little changed! However, we did have DSP for the subs (his main mission was sub integration) and that had a significant impact on frequency response.

It was a real eye opener that leads me to believe that the characteristics of the room override most of the benefits of the treatments. If you MEASURE your room, you may find that treatments are doing less than you think. I still won’t use DSP except for the subs, but I could see why people would, even with a SOTA system. What’s WAY more important is to have a SOTA room, which most people don’t have, hence the need for DSP.

Reactions: mtemur

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I optimized my system and room to the best of my abilities and decided, this past weekend, to bring in an acoustics consultant to wring out the last 5-10%. Lots of great testimonials from happy customers. But there was an interesting twist. He is a digital guy who works mostly with other digital guys who have DSP in their systems. I haven’t completely decided if he was able to improve my sound, but it was quite interesting to see changes via his real time analyzer when we added, moved and removed treatments. Very little changed! However, we did have DSP for the subs (his main mission was sub integration) and that had a significant impact on frequency response.

It was a real eye opener that leads me to believe that the characteristics of the room override most of the benefits of the treatments. If you MEASURE your room, you may find that treatments are doing less than you think.

Room treatment may not change that much in terms of frequency response in mids and highs, but it does remove lots of distortions and hardness from short-distance reflections. This may not show up that much in measurements, but it very much does show up at your ears. Especially when you usually play music at loud SPL as I do (100 dBC peaks and above on orchestral music). Room treatment also affects reverberation time (which also affects imaging) and "air" in the sound.

My ASC TubeTraps, with the IsoThermal TubeTraps being the most efficient, very much influence the bass. In my room they are essential to get good bass; the sound is catastrophic without them.

I still won’t use DSP except for the subs, but I could see why people would, even with a SOTA system. What’s WAY more important is to have a SOTA room, which most people don’t have, hence the need for DSP.

I don't use DSP and I don't have a SOTA room. Yet I have tamed the sound well over the years with appropriate room treatments. It is very good, but nothing beats a better room. Especially a large room. Many people, including myself, don't have it, but for the best sound you do need a large room. And you can't DSP your way out of that problem, either.

Reactions: tony22

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
Room treatment may not change that much in terms of frequency response in mids and highs, but it does remove lots of distortions and hardness from short-distance reflections. This may not show up that much in measurements, but it very much does show up at your ears. Especially when you usually play music at loud SPL as I do (100 dBC peaks and above on orchestral music). Room treatment also affects reverberation time (which also affects imaging) and "air" in the sound.

My ASC TubeTraps, with the IsoThermal TubeTraps being the most efficient, very much influence the bass. In my room they are essential to get good bass; the sound is catastrophic without them.

I don't use DSP and I don't have a SOTA room. Yet I have tamed the sound well over the years with appropriate room treatments. It is very good, but nothing beats a better room. Especially a large room. Many people, including myself, don't have it, but for the best sound you do need a large room. And you can't DSP your way out of that problem, either.

I agree that important subtle improvements that can’t easily be seen in measurements can be wrought by room treatments. My treatments aren’t going anywhere. However, to my surprise, when we removed four large 4” thick absorption panels from the first reflections, the decay time (i.e. reverb) didn’t change. That surprised me.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have 2 absorbers to the sides of my speakers and they get rid of a smear or garble from reflections.

I don't know, but I trust JR of Wally Tools when he says DSP for subs, especially multiple subs is very beneficial.

One of the worst rooms I heard was a brand new half million build that was incredibly bright with uncontrollably slap echo that was metalic in sound. No adsorption at all but a of wood block diffusers. 2 layers of drywall on RSC channel. Wondering now if that metal sound was the channel?

I have seen a lot of graphs from people using DSP that show a flattening of freq reaponse and lots of claims its better. But its also a fanclub group that is you argued the sonic reault was nebulous, you would get kicked off the group.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Really? Then tape and vinyl are not SOTA because you have to use additive/subtractive EQ for playback
Very good Bruce.
OK Class.
This is what happens when a term of art tales on a generic meaning.
He is saying the current SOTA of vinyl and tape requires EQ. Would not the be true of both the best and worst of the rest of the respective genres? But this audiophile thinks of SOTA as the best products being offered in a particular class. One requirement is that it be "flat."
I was suggesting that if you have to add external EQ , the device or system may not be SOTA.
I

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing