Downsizing from dCS Vivaldi Stack? Is this dumb?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Bill and I (Dick) do certainly have a vested interest, but after hearing a lot of digital product over the years, the Tambaqui is what I refer to as a gift to the audio business. It's that good! And for a price that is a great deal lower than its performance would indicate. Thank you for your comment regarding folks that "buy with their ears" will walk out with the Tambaqui. I couldn't agree more!

As a matter of fact, not only have we heard the Grimm MU1 but recommend it as the best streaming device currently available to put in front of the Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC. I would echo your sentiments that this combo could very well be a "stack killer."

I am a dCS fan, but the Tambaqui sounded really excellent at Axpona. Bruno Putzeys is a superb designer.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
What about the DCS Vivaldi One? - their one box, transport/DAC/streamer?

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Hi everyone,

I'm contemplating downsizing...and updating my system (DCS boxes are big). I currently have the Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler and Clock. I'm looking at going to the new Linn Klimax DSM. Here's the rest of my system:

Preamp: Boulder 2010

Amp: Boulder 2050 monoblocks

Speakers: Magico Q5

Is this a big mistake that I'm going to regret?

All opinions and name-calling welcome!
I’m late to this party.

But as much of a Linn fan as I am, if I were you, I’d keep the dCS Rossini stack. If you get the itch to throw money into your system, get the Apex mod.

Reactions: netteb16

NC Lee

Oct 23, 2014
NC
Bill and I (Dick) do certainly have a vested interest, but after hearing a lot of digital product over the years, the Tambaqui is what I refer to as a gift to the audio business. It's that good! And for a price that is a great deal lower than its performance would indicate. Thank you for your comment regarding folks that "buy with their ears" will walk out with the Tambaqui. I couldn't agree more!

As a matter of fact, not only have we heard the Grimm MU1 but recommend it as the best streaming device currently available to put in front of the Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC. I would echo your sentiments that this combo could very well be a "stack killer."
Have you compared the Tambaqui paired with Aurender N20 vs Grimm? To what end?

brodricj

Mar 13, 2016
I own the seven box Esoteric Grandioso stack. A few weeks ago I bought the Bladelius ASK integrated with optional DAC module. I've been listening to it ever since. I don't feel I'm missing out on anything. And the simplicity of a single box that does it all is the icing on the cake.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Hi everyone,

I'm contemplating downsizing...and updating my system (DCS boxes are big). I currently have the Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler and Clock. I'm looking at going to the new Linn Klimax DSM. Here's the rest of my system:

Preamp: Boulder 2010

Amp: Boulder 2050 monoblocks

Speakers: Magico Q5

Is this a big mistake that I'm going to regret?

All opinions and name-calling welcome!
do you mostly stream music or is your digital library only local or a mix of both? How do you store your music?

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
I own the seven box Esoteric Grandioso stack. A few weeks ago I bought the Bladelius ASK integrated with optional DAC module. I've been listening to it ever since. I don't feel I'm missing out on anything. And the simplicity of a single box that does it all is the icing on the cake.
what amplification did it replace?

netteb16

Sep 11, 2023
Denver
do you mostly stream music or is your digital library only local or a mix of both? How do you store your music?

I would say I’m 90% streaming via Qobuz & Tidal. Have a NAS w/locally stored files for more obscure shows.

Reactions: Lee

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
I would say I’m 90% streaming via Qobuz & Tidal. Have a NAS w/locally stored files for more obscure shows.
The Grimm MU1 (streamer/DDC) is Roon-only for now. A software update coming soon will expand the possibilities beyond Roon.

I'm assuming that new software will be standard on the Grimm MU2, which is a streamer/DDC/DAC/analog volume control. I believe the launch date is this month. With an in-home demo, it might be a good way to get a baseline for other DACS (price is $18k, iirc). Initial feedback has been very favorable.

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
Interested to hear this comparison
I've A/B compared the Vivaldi stack (non APEX) and the Select II in the same system using Wilson XVX. To me the Select II sounded a lot more like analog music without sacrificing speed or dynamics. I was analyzing the sound with the DCS and just absolutely lost in the music with MSB. You can imagine which one I chose.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I've A/B compared the Vivaldi stack (non APEX) and the Select II in the same system using Wilson XVX. To me the Select II sounded a lot more like analog music without sacrificing speed or dynamics. I was analyzing the sound with the DCS and just absolutely lost in the music with MSB. You can imagine which one I chose.
Did the Select II include a Digital Director?

gentcan

Jun 15, 2022
The Bladelius can drive your M3?

Googaliser

VIP/Donor
Mar 31, 2019
Know what you mean about getting lost in the music with the Select II. Am currently comparing with a Rossini Apex. Out of the box - the difference between the two was marked. As it breaks-in though, I am enjoying the Rossini more and more. But when A/B ing - I hear a great track on the Select and the forget about A/B ing for the rest of the night!

Attachments

• IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    599.6 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: Lee

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I'm contemplating downsizing...and updating my system (DCS boxes are big). I currently have the Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler and Clock.
What about Taiko Extreme with the upcoming integrated DAC? Only one box :cool:

Matt

davetheoilguy

Jan 10, 2024
USA
I’d love to hear where this decision making came out. I’m much more of a vinyl guy, but finally paying attention to my digital which has been an afterthought.

My leading contenders are the DCS Vivaldi apex (probably the One, although I already have an excellent transport) and the Mola Mola Tamwhatever (stupid name). I was looking at that testing on Stereophile and it’s darn near identical. I’ve now heard both (unable to do A/B) and both are excellent with different reviewers saying “best DAC ever”.

I have a close third contender - the Nagra HD X - because I am madly in love with my Nagra HD preamp. What a fine piece of kit. But I’ve heard very little objective feedback and they are decidedly opaque on the details of their chipset and software. I’ve also seen zero testing.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
What about Taiko Extreme with the upcoming integrated DAC? Only one box :cool:
This was a post from last year which has to be updated.......

What about Taiko Olympus with XDMI analog output board? Only one box :cool:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Know what you mean about getting lost in the music with the Select II. Am currently comparing with a Rossini Apex. Out of the box - the difference between the two was marked. As it breaks-in though, I am enjoying the Rossini more and more. But when A/B ing - I hear a great track on the Select and the forget about A/B ing for the rest of the night!

I found that mine took 200-300 hours to get to full speed. The Rossini Apex is a truly great DAC.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing