DSPeaker Anti-Mode X4

Minnesotafats

Aug 26, 2020
Good luck. I have used it only for subs and not had any problems.
Kal: I currently have a 2x2 stack of Rel N25 Subs using their high level connection from my MBL Monoblock Amps. If I got the x4 how would you recommend I connect the x4 into the system. Between the Preamp and the Amps. Before the Preamp in digital mode.

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
During my time with the DSPeaker X4 it never produced any spurious noises or misbehaved in any way. I do know one other user who has had significant issues with the X4. However, the manufacturer has been very helpful and has fixed or replaced the unit quickly and smoothly at no cost to the owner (other than perhaps shipping--not sure about that). He loves the unit and has been using it for several years.

In my time with the X4 I only used it in digital in/digital out mode, so I have no opinion on its capability as a preamp.

My current speakers, the Sanders 10e, come with the dbx VENU360 EQ/crossover/time alignment device so, as with my prior Dutch & Dutch 8c, I don't need the DSPeaker unit.

Anyone looking for an EQ/room correction/crossover/time alignment device for up to a three-way configuration (the X4 only handles mains and subs and I don't think it does time alignment) should consider the dbx unit. It only costs $1,000, seems to be transparent (the Sanders 10e using it are the most transparent-to-source speakers I've owned), and the automatic EQ set up is even easier and faster than the X4. The available crossovers are also more flexible than on the X4. Being a pro-audio device, it has a lot of "features" that audiophiles will not want to use. However, all unwanted functions can be turned off or otherwise bypassed. There is a nifty app which runs the machine from a mobile device (I use an iPad) which makes set up and tweaking from the listening position a total breeze. Much more information about this unit can be found in my Sanders 10e thread, for example, this post: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...ybrid-electrostatic-speaker.34273/post-779557

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Kal: I currently have a 2x2 stack of Rel N25 Subs using their high level connection from my MBL Monoblock Amps. If I got the x4 how would you recommend I connect the x4 into the system. Between the Preamp and the Amps. Before the Preamp in digital mode.
Too many variables and too little info for me to say. How are you doing bass managment (or not) at the moment? Do you want the X4 to handle bass management for the main channels? Do you want or care about having the X4 do the D/A and for which channels?

Minnesotafats

Aug 26, 2020
Too many variables and too little info for me to say. How are you doing bass managment (or not) at the moment? Do you want the X4 to handle bass management for the main channels? Do you want or care about having the X4 do the D/A and for which channels?
I realize that this is a hard question and ultimately I am heading for some tinkering. Maybe I can get guidance on the things and permutations to try. Currently the subs are being fed by Rels preferred method of a high level connection from MBL N 15 Monoblocks on both channels. I understand that I need to bail on the high level connections if I am going to use the x4.

The Monoblock amps are fed by a MBL N11 Preamp which is fed by either a MBL n31 CD/Dac or a Gryphon Legato Legacy Preamp all with Balanced XLR connections. The subs are currently daisy chained with the High Level connections. I am currently using the crossover and volume controls on each sub. The bottom subs on each side are at 28hz with volume of 22 the top subs are at 44 hz at 19. I used a mic to capture the room sweep and find a room node/bump at around 57 hz.

I was thinking of using the .4 mode of the x4 so each sub would be tuned by the x4 individually and the only interaction would be on the subs at anything less than maybe 100hz. Without the subs I get roll off of the mains 101s at around 30 hz. I was also considering using the x4 in 2.2 mode with each of the subs daisy chained with there XLR connections and the x4 adjusting the main speakers. With all of these scenarios or potential scenarios I wonder if I should mess around with the various crossover levels or volume levels on the subs, or simply turn the crossovers to their maximum and the volume at a moderate level to let the x4 do all the work.

Lots of questions to try. I don't think I can use the x4 in a pure digital mode. That is one of the reasons why I am considering the .4 sub only interaction with the x4.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I realize that this is a hard question and ultimately I am heading for some tinkering. Maybe I can get guidance on the things and permutations to try. Currently the subs are being fed by Rels preferred method of a high level connection from MBL N 15 Monoblocks on both channels. I understand that I need to bail on the high level connections if I am going to use the x4.

The Monoblock amps are fed by a MBL N11 Preamp which is fed by either a MBL n31 CD/Dac or a Gryphon Legato Legacy Preamp all with Balanced XLR connections. The subs are currently daisy chained with the High Level connections. I am currently using the crossover and volume controls on each sub. The bottom subs on each side are at 28hz with volume of 22 the top subs are at 44 hz at 19. I used a mic to capture the room sweep and find a room node/bump at around 57 hz.

I was thinking of using the .4 mode of the x4 so each sub would be tuned by the x4 individually and the only interaction would be on the subs at anything less than maybe 100hz. Without the subs I get roll off of the mains 101s at around 30 hz. I was also considering using the x4 in 2.2 mode with each of the subs daisy chained with there XLR connections and the x4 adjusting the main speakers. With all of these scenarios or potential scenarios I wonder if I should mess around with the various crossover levels or volume levels on the subs, or simply turn the crossovers to their maximum and the volume at a moderate level to let the x4 do all the work.

Lots of questions to try. I don't think I can use the x4 in a pure digital mode. That is one of the reasons why I am considering the .4 sub only interaction with the x4.
If I am reading you correctly, you are not utilizing, nor do you plan to utilize, any HP filtering on the main speakers. If so, I would suggest that you leave your main signal path, preamp, monoblocks and 101s untouched. (The price for this is an inability to correct for any room interactions with them.)
1. Tap off a pair of XLR preamp outputs to feed the x4 and run it in .4 mode.
2. Experiment with setting the x4 in stereo vs. mono operation for the subs.
(Think about the JLAudio CR1 as a possible alternative.)

Reactions: Minnesotafats

Minnesotafats

Aug 26, 2020
If I am reading you correctly, you are not utilizing, nor do you plan to utilize, any HP filtering on the main speakers. If so, I would suggest that you leave your main signal path, preamp, monoblocks and 101s untouched. (The price for this is an inability to correct for any room interactions with them.)
1. Tap off a pair of XLR preamp outputs to feed the x4 and run it in .4 mode.
2. Experiment with setting the x4 in stereo vs. mono operation for the subs.
(Think about the JLAudio CR1 as a possible alternative.)
Thank you for the affirmation and advice. That was my first thought. I appreciate the fact that professional folks like you give this wisdom. I should have mentioned I am in a large room 32ftx35ftx8ft but I listen in a triangle of around 9ft from the 101's with the Rels right aside and slightly behind the 101s. The speakers have a lot of breathing room, but there still are some nodes building up.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing