Electronic music: A great way to test your system, work out, file taxes and more ?!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The General hittin' OG Drum and Bass! Yeah Baby!

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Audio Shows never play Electronic music & every visitor is over 50
Every weekend tens of millions of under 50s globally dance the night away to electronic music

Last edited:
Reactions: kodomo and XV-1

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Love electronic music! Thanks for all the recs!

JeromeFrancis

Dec 9, 2023
Zurich
Most will know it but for the ones that have never been exposed to electronic music, Giorgio Moroder is famed as the godfather of disco and electronic music. Daft Punk and Giorgio Moroder:

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Delia Derbyshire BBC Radiophonic Workshop – “Inventions For Radio” BBC four radio broadcasts between January 1964 and September 1965
BBC TV from 1963 electronic pioneers all inspired Orbital , OMD , Gary Numan , Clock DVA, Cabaret Voltaire, The Human League , Heaven 17. Ultravox , Brian Eno , Yazoo , Depeche Mode , John Foxx , Soft Cell , New Order , Underworld , Chemical Brothers & many others

del blob (8).jpg

Last edited:

GroovySauce

Nov 9, 2020
What is electronic music? Where is the point where manipulating an instrument becomes "electronic"? Is song with a only a synthesizer and vocals considered electronic music?

I listen to a lot of what would be considered electronic music, I'm still not sure what makes it so. A lot of it has real instruments played by real people in real space. Below is a spectrum of what I would consider electronic music.

FKJ / French Kiwi Juice. He plays all the instruments, loops them tweaks them adds effects and then plays a new instrument to layer them together. This is a live performance you can see how he blends and loops cool to watch and listen.

Troels Hammer, he is a pianist who collaborates with DJs. His albums will go from solo piano recorded in a studio to something lounge-dance-electronica.

Glass Animals. They use a lot of synths and they play instruments.

Mirage of Deep

SAMBOX

Kant Sleep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKFgq6_R430

Zimmer. I would consider this 100% electronic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJCGs_XEt-I

Reactions: JeromeFrancis

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
I used to go to Ibiza as a kid but there was no house music at the time :)

I loved this (and "Planet Rock") when it came out (1983?) and still listen to it today:

Unfortunately my original Tommy Boy LPs got lost over the years...

I discovered House music a few years later with this one:

I am no expert, but have always had a soft spot for Frankie Knuckles. I will sometimes play his sets on YouTube. Among his albums, this song stands out for me:

From the same CD this one stands out as well:

This remix, featured in the movie "Lion", is cool:

House is fun! Will check our the recommendations on this thread.

Last edited:

JeromeFrancis

Dec 9, 2023
Zurich
I used to go to Ibiza as a kid but there was no house music at the time :)

I loved this (and "Planet Rock") when it came out (1983?) and still listen to it today:

Unfortunately my original Tommy Boy LPs got lost over the years...

I discovered House music a few years later with this one:

I am no expert, but have always had a soft spot for Frankie Knuckles. I will sometimes play his sets on YouTube. Among his albums, this song stands out for me:

This remix, featured in the movie "Lion", is cool:

House is fun! Will check our the recommendations on this thread.
Thanks for sharing. And you’ve got a nice youtube chan, i’m enjoying it!

Reactions: hopkins

Rumpole

Aug 26, 2023
Colorado, USA
I had all of Kraftwerk's LPs in 1982, and of course the Vangelis soundtrack from Chariots of Fire, but nothing since then - but it's area I have wanted to explore again, so thanks for all of the suggestions!

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Vangelis is just the tip of the iceberg. Im familiar with literally hundreds of artists in either this, derived or more traditional Berlin style and would be welcome to share any if of interest.

Reactions: JeromeFrancis

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Had fun playing this Frankie Knuckles remix:

It would be better with subs, but since I mostly listen to dance music on my headphones or on my desktop computer, I have not bothered. Still, I enjoy the sound when I do play this on my open baffle speakers. Set the video to highest quality, and listen with headphones!

Streamed from Spotify:

His remix of Hot Stuff will guarantee to get you up on your feet as well :)

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Fellow WBF'er and Sceana set up guru Bob turned me on to The XX many years ago. Broody, moody electronica in the vein of New Order/Joy Division. Female lead Romy has gone solo and her new album MId Air is light and easy to digest on a drive or a lazy Sunday afternoon. It's got a couple of uplifting fun tracks as well. She reminds me a lot of Tracy Thorn and she has some chops on the decks when she isn't singing.

OLADRA

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2022
New Zealand
antipodes.audio
For something completely different, some Kiwi electronica...

Last edited:
Reactions: thomask

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing