EMIA Elmaformer (volume control) review

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
So if one was to use the AVC in another preamp, it would be just the AVC, not the Elma former, to buy?
You mean you want to install AVS such as Slagleformers as volume control inside another preamp?

Yes, there are some brands of preamp using autoformers as volume control internally.

However the Slagleformers are of auch high quality that IMO they are excellent passive preamps by themselves.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Reactions: Mikem53 and bazelio

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Maybe Ben can have a special build for HK using silver windings?!?
I told Ben already : silver Slagleformers are several leagues above the copper Slagleformers.
No fight at all!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Do the AVC require burn in?

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
No, not in my experience. Or it's so minor over such a long period of time that I couldn't notice it.
Ill agree. I had two identical Ag Remote formers, one was fresh out the box, the other a demo unit with hundreds of hours on it. Couldn't tell the difference.

Reactions: bazelio and bonzo75

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
I told Ben already : silver Slagleformers are several leagues above the copper Slagleformers.
No fight at all!
So my question to you... What do you think the TotalDAC drivers do for your passive pre(s)?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have had the Silver Remote Autoformer for a few days. Trying to wrap my head around the differences. It sounds very different from the Copper Autoformer. Playing them back to back the Copper sounds so exaggerated. I never noticed this until comparing against the silver. There is a certain degree of realism and naturalness with the Silver. Acoustic guitar strings sound waaay too vibrant with the copper whereas the silver sounds just right. I also have a few Audience Front Row cables burning in, so that's next. I will agree that the copper AVC still betters my EAR868PL Preamp. I will also agree that the SIlver is worth double the price of the copper. This will likely be the last preamp I have for a long time. At least until I can spring for the Silver DHT :p

What's the silver DHT?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Reactions: advanced101

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
Hi CK

how would the dht compare with the bespoke you have you think?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi CK

how would the dht compare with the bespoke you have you think?
Emia DHT Linestage is a new product and I have not auditioned it yet.
If you can borrow one for audition, please share with us your views of it on WBF.
Thanks.

Devg

Feb 16, 2020
Hey folks, I am in the market for passive preamp and wondering if somebody has compared the Emia to others, like the Wyred4Sound STP-SE or the Hattor/Khozmo ? How is the Emia remote autoformer different from the well regarded Bent Audio tap-x avc-1 pre ?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hey folks, I am in the market for passive preamp and wondering if somebody has compared the Emia to others, like the Wyred4Sound STP-SE or the Hattor/Khozmo ? How is the Emia remote autoformer different from the well regarded Bent Audio tap-x avc-1 pre ?
Hi Devg,
The Bent Audio AVC-1 has been discontinued.
John of Bent Audio now concentrates in making remote mechanism for other brands.
I think my own full-balanced AVC-1 is his last piece. There are 4 copperSlalgeformers inside :

Bent Audio AVC-1 finished 1~2.jpg

So if you want a Slagleformer-based passive preamp, Emia is the only choice.

BTW I personally think that amongst all passive preamps, those employing AVC or TVC give better sonic performance than other varieties of mechanism.
IMHO only, of course. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: bazelio

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Hi Devg,
The Bent Audio AVC-1 has been discontinued.
John of Bent Audio now concentrates in making remote mechanism for other brands.
I think my own full-balanced AVC-1 is his last piece. There are 4 copperSlalgeformers inside :

View attachment 71030

So if you want a Slagleformer-based passive preamp, Emia is the only choice.

BTW I personally think that amongst all passive preamps, those employing AVC or TVC give better sonic performance than other varieties of mechanism.
IMHO only, of course. :)

It is not the only choice, I am ordering an Icon audio preamp with slagle autoformers inside. Fully balanced with 4 slagle autoformers.

Reactions: vintagemaniac

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing