EMM LAB planned obsolescence

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
The notion of planned obsolescence, or the practice of designing products so they have a limited effective lifespan, is at one time, something that only Japanese multinational household appliances companies used to do. But no longer. Now, even North American audio companies seem to be copying that too. But is this insidious act deliberately limiting the life of products and services going to be a bad mistake?

Case in point:

The launch of EMM Lab DA2 which will support native 2xDSD and the announcement that latest firmware update will only take all current product up to as high as up sampling to 2xDSD and no native double DSD support.

Price: $25,000.00

Will emm lab use "next generation" thingy as an excuse to halt further software developments on their dac2x that will allow it to directly receives dsd128 and up sampling to 10xdsd?

Your guess is as good as mine.

It is not the first time they'd done it either.

The original XDS1 has been denied all support to bring it up to spec as the mk II version.

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
It may be a simple hardware limitation, and have noting to do with their will (or the lack of) to support their older designs.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
In my case they shifted away from the 3 strand ST glass optical. In fairness my DCC2 was upgraded to SE before they did that.

DLS

Jan 12, 2013
New York
Not My Experience

The original XDS1 has been denied all support to bring it up to spec as the mk II version.

My original XDS1 was upgraded to V2 status with USB support quickly, efficiently, professionally, and at no charge two years ago. Last year I received software/firmware update, again, at no charge.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
D

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing