EMT - JSD series Carts

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I tried stx 20 I wasn't crazy about how well it drove the EMT was less transparent than other step ups I've tried already the internal one of my allnic 7000 was much better. To date the one we liked the most is the Kiseki mct 2 but it is unobtainable. the EMT 6 platinum is very sensitive to adjustments such as VTA and everything else. before deciding which step up to use it with, let it work for at least 50 hours. I drive it fantastically with the ypsilon 10 L by putting a 480 Ohms resistor in parallel making it read around 260 ohms. another step up that drives it to great effect is the good tx 103. enjoy listening
You must bridge the blue 33uf tantalium caps ,they only for SFL models (resonance) then you get transparence and real good tonal balance. Screenshot_20240401-220949_Write on PDF.jpg

Reactions: MortenB

MortenB

Jul 12, 2019
Aarhus, Denmark
Just to support what’s being said about the JSD - Platinum being very sensitive to VTA, load etc… As mentioned above I started out with the cartridge seeing a load of around 295 ohm.

Yesterday I decided to make a small change to get the load more in the middle of EMT’s recommended load on 200 -300 ohm. Now the cartridge ‘’see’’ a load of 255 ohm, and I must say I’m a bit surprised at how much of a change it made. Before the change the treble range was a bit forward and too much, now there is coherency from top to bottom.

Time for more break-in :)

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
Giusto per supportare ciò che viene detto sul fatto che il JSD - Platinum è molto sensibile al VTA, al carico, ecc... Come accennato in precedenza, ho iniziato con la testina che vedeva un carico di circa 295 ohm.

Ieri ho deciso di fare una piccola modifica per portare il carico più al centro del carico consigliato da EMT su 200 -300 ohm. Ora la testina ''vede'' un carico di 255 ohm, e devo dire che sono un po' sorpreso da quanto cambiamento abbia apportato. Prima del cambiamento la gamma degli acuti era un po' avanzata ed eccessiva, ora c'è coerenza da cima a fondo.

E' tempo di ulteriori irruzioni:)
Buongiorno, il consiglio che vi do è di dotarvi, se non ne avete già uno, di un sistema di controllo per ridurre al minimo l'errore radiale (scegliete voi A o B) e non limitare il controllo al solo due punti nulli che ti danno le mascherine normali. Ho verificato che il corretto allineamento (io utilizzo il Wally Tractor Universal Lofgren B) ha migliorato notevolmente il suono dell'EMT. Posso chiederti quanto hai pagato per l'acquisto dell'EMT rigenerato?

MortenB

Jul 12, 2019
Aarhus, Denmark
My Italian is extremely rusty, as in non existing, but google translate helped me out. Thanks again for your advise, I much appreciate this and will try different aligments of the cartridge at some point when it’s broken in…

Regarding the price I consider myself very, very lucky.

I bought it from the first owner who actually had it rebuild twice because he damaged it. Or I should say, it was damaged by the cleaning lady the first time, and then by the owners young son the second time. So the poor guy did not want to risk damaging the cartridge again, and offered it for sale when it was returned from EMT after the second rebuild. He needs a cartridge with a solid stylus guard.

Anyway, he offered it for sale, brand ‘’new’’ after the rebuild, but for some reason no one seemed interested in it, and he lowered the price a few times. When he suddently dropped the price to DKK 10.000 equal to around 1.345 euros I had to buy it. When I met him to collect the EMT, he mentioned that he paid DKK 12.500kr or equal to 1.675 euros for the rebuild (twice)…

Reactions: Massimo66

thekong

May 10, 2012
Yes, better to have a stylus guard like this! A local guy made a batch of this stylus guard and sold them for $40 each. Expensive for what it is but does help to prevent expensive retips. I think it is easy to made if you know someone with a 3D printer.

IMG_5913.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing