Enid Lumley

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
I’m being Enid today. Take your cell phone out of your listening room while listening to vinyl and tell me if your sound improves?

Hello Jeffy,

What is your theory here?

Would it matter if one kept the cell phone in the room, but put it in airplane mode?

I know someone who swears by SR acoustic dots...in his fridge.

Reactions: mxk116
I also found if someone is watching tv in another room sound improves if the tv is shut off.
This makes sense because hearing the audio from the TV in the other room easily could be distracting your concentration in the listening room.

When I use my laptop while sitting in the "sweet spot" and then shut the lid and put it aside, the sound improves...weird, I know. The distance between the speakers and my listening spot is about 14 ft

I also found if someone is watching tv in another room sound improves if the tv is shut off.

So are you saying that you listening to streaming sources, and there is noise coming in from the eithernet…

or noise coming in as RF from the phone?
And then through power or signal lines?

Reactions: bonzo75 and Pokey77
better to put it in your refrigerator...
You won’t believe how much SQ improves by pulling off the plug of refrigerator. Sound becomes more relaxed. Down side is you forget to plug it back and waste the food inside refrigerator.

Unplugging switch mode power supplies like tv, computer etc also help. Switch mode power supplies introduce noise to AC line but refrigerator’s motor must be doing something worse cause it made the biggest improvement when we unplugged it. Unfortunately having 3 phase electricity, dedicated line and phase for audio doesn’t change this situation, at least it didn’t change in our system.

So if there is anyone else in the house they should stop living so someone else can enjoy their listening session? At some point reason needs to enter the equation versus obsession

1718807504326.png

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda
So if there is anyone else in the house they should stop living so someone else can enjoy their listening session? At some point reason needs to enter the equation versus obsession
Unplugging refrigerator won’t be the most unreasonable thing for people here, especially for the ones listening tube amplifiers and records in 21st century, spending as much as a house price for audio, turning listening room full of strange shaped sponges hanging everywhere called room treatments that cost thousands of dollars etc.

Last edited:
Unplugging refrigerator won’t be the most unreasonable thing for people here, especially for the ones listening tube amplifiers and records in 21st century, spending as much as a house price for audio, turning listening room full of strange shaped sponges hanging everywhere called room treatments that cost thousands of dollars etc

It's your house , your system so do whatever you feel is necessary or reasonable to you. Save your elitist narrative though for someone who you think will be impressed

You won’t believe how much SQ improves by pulling off the plug of refrigerator. Sound becomes more relaxed. Down side is you forget to plug it back and waste the food inside refrigerator.

Unplugging switch mode power supplies like tv, computer etc also help. Switch mode power supplies introduce noise to AC line but refrigerator’s motor must be doing something worse cause it made the biggest improvement when we unplugged it. Unfortunately having 3 phase electricity, dedicated line and phase for audio doesn’t change this situation, at least it didn’t change in our system.
I have a friend who shuts his fridge off and AC when listening. He often has spoiled items the next day. I can't stay long because it gets into the 80's in his house.

It's your house , your system so do whatever you feel is necessary or reasonable to you.
Thank you for the permission.

Save your elitist narrative though for someone who you think will be impressed
I would have save my narrative if you had saved your psychoanalysis on what is reasonable, what is obsession etc.

Come on gentlemen....let's lighten up please. This is just a hobby. Getting along shouldn't be that hard between like minded folks......we are, after all, in the same hobby.

Have a great afternoon and happy listening.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu