Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Reactions: tima and bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Why will the stereo be better than the mono if the original was in mono?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Will ask the general to play all three at one point. We did that with the Joanna Martzy ERC, original mono and the coup darchet

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Just ask him to play you ASD429 to see how shit she is :eek:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
She might well have produced the single most hilariously appalling rendition of this wonderful music ever :eek::p

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The mono ED1 is killer. I have a close to NM copy for $425 out of the UK a couple years ago. It could be the best sounding mono classical record I have ever heard. I’m not sure why the stereo garners so much especially if it was recorded in only 1 track mono as you say ? I would have thought 3 tracks

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The mono ED1 is killer. I have a close to NM copy for $425 out of the UK a couple years ago. It could be the best sounding mono classical record I have ever heard. I’m not sure why the stereo garners so much especially if it was recorded in only 1 track mono as you say ? I would have thought 3 tracks

Stereos can garner more money because stereo is more popular, just more demand - does not mean the stereo version is necessarily better sounding if the original is in mono. Many people don't like (read are clueless about) the benefits of playing mono

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Interesting.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
That’s a bit harsh I think even though she wasn’t happy with her performance and stopped the production run early...hence the rarity of it.

I am a bit harsh :D

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
From the backstory....maybe mono made from stereo master ?

Gioconda De Vito was born in 1907 in the town of Martina Franca, Southern Italy. She initially taught herself the violin before her uncle, a professional violinist based in Berlin, spotted her potential and tutored her. De Vito entered the Rossini Conservatory in Pesaro at the age of 11 as a pupil of Remy Principe. Graduating at 13 she went on to become professor of Violin at the new Bari Conservatory at the age of just 17. In 1932 she won the first International Violin Competition held in Vienna. She had many admirers, including the famous Czech violinist and composer, Jan Kubelik, who’s son Rafael is featured as conductor on this famous disc. By the early 1950’s De Vito was considered as Europe’s No.1 female violinist. Her expressive, improvisatory style of playing, slow vibrato and generous, warm phrasing, conveys a degree of emotional depth rarely encountered.

The original stereo issue of this recording (HMV ASD 429) is one of the most highly sought after classical LP’s, almost impossible to find in perfect condition. Part of the reason for its rarity and mythical status was that the title existed within the HMV catalogue for a period of only two weeks, before being withdrawn at the explicit request of De Vito herself as she was unhappy with her performance. Indeed she was notoriously self critical throughout her career and as a result this was her one and only stereo release before retiring shortly afterwards at the age of 54.

Reactions: dan31

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
ERC The Nine Beethoven Symphonies Klemperer Philharmonia Orchestra - 13LP Box Set for £2950

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I've been mixed on the ERC stuff so far. Definitely not the quietest pressings.

Christian, did you get the (du Pre) Elgar cello concerto? If so, what do you think of it?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Is this available in plane Jane 16/44?

* https://www.ebay.com/p/Gioconda-De-VITO-Bach-mozart-Violin-Concertos-2cd/1972740958

Great music!

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I've been mixed on the ERC stuff so far. Definitely not the quietest pressings.

Christian, did you get the (du Pre) Elgar cello concerto? If so, what do you think of it?

I did not as an ED1 original is readily available for a lot less than the ERC reissue so I bought that. I’m not sure about the Beethoven box set. I think the recording quality is only average on those Columbia SAX Klemperer ed1’s hence the mention of re-mastering. I think I will skip that very expensive box. I have noticed more pops and tics on a few recent releases than I would prefer...

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
AFAIK, Devito's recording was done in stereo and was released, as all these early recordings were, in both mono and stereo. I have the Japanese DeVito box which has this recording as well as all of her EMI recordings, both mono and stereo. DeVito married David Bicknell, the lead EMI producer of the HMV line of classical recordings (the ones with the ASD catalogue numbers and little nipper on the labels.) There was quite an intense internal rivalry in EMI between the HMV division and the Columbia division (SAX) whose lead producer was Walter Legge. Legge also married a classical EMI artist, soprano Elisabeth Schwarzkopf.

Politely said, there is some controversy about the artistic merit of this album (ASD429). Definitely one of the rare and expensive early EMI recordings.

Larry

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
ERC The Nine Beethoven Symphonies Klemperer Philharmonia Orchestra - 13LP Box Set for £2950

I saw the announcement for this one. I would be happy to split the cost of this set with someone 4/13ths, provided I can keep Symphony 5 and Symphony 9. :p

Reactions: bonzo75

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
The EMI reissue of the Klemperer Beethoven Symphonies SLS788, issued in 1970 is more than decent. Get a black and white postage stamp label (ER3) or maybe the colored postage stamp (ER2). They are pretty common for maybe $30 to $40 or less for the whole box. EMI did a very good job on reissues of their earlier releases in these box sets which now sell for pennies on the dollar compared to the original Columbia SAX pressings. Certainly worth the $2.50-3.50 per disc for them. Shipping from the UK to the US would probably be more than the price of the box.

At worse you will get a good sense of how Klemperer does Beethoven with the Philharmonia, for less than the price of one of the original issues from the late 1950's.

It looks like ERC is releasing a 13 record set, rather than the 9 records in the EMI box. They are also including the Klemperer Beethoven Overtures which I have on the original EMI Columbia SAX releases SAX2542 and 2570 (I also have a few of the original Beethoven Symphonies on SAX, but not all of them.) According to the ERC website, they are also including some overtures which were never released in stereo. Not sure what those were.

Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing