Ethernet tweak

InfigoAudio

Industry Expert
Jun 14, 2022
Kelowna, BC, Canada
www.infigoaudio.com
I see a lot of discussion going on regarding digital audio networks, data transport and noise.
All of these are closely related and all have effect on sound quality.

Let me share a few things that have worked real good in the various setups I've had to make at the past audio shows...

Below is a typical setup in a home situation (image source credit: upscale audio - edited for this post)

Typical Streaming Setup.png

For sake of discussion, this image shows a Roon implementation but this can be any streaming app or equipment.
Note that I have separated the image into a 'clean' and 'dirty' section.
The general idea is to have only clean linear power supplies and equipment in the clean side, and whatever dirty equipment (including switches, routers, wall adapters etc) on the dirty side.
The data connection going from the dirty to the clean side is a very important one, the trick that works a little magic is to replace this connection to a set of fiber media converters with a fiber line between them.

FMC.png

In this case, unit A is on the 'dirty' side and can be powered by a switched mode power supply wall adapter, unit B however is on the 'clean' side and MUST be powered by a linear power supply.
Noise from the 'dirty' side of the network will not be jumping over to the 'clean' side through the fiber connection, and the audio data gets re-clocked by nature of the way these media converters work.
These converters are generally easy to source, they are even sold on Amazon.
For fiber between them, I like the Single mode APC best (the green connectors, not the blue UPC ones)

For the difference between APC and UPC cable read this: https://www.belden.com/blogs/upc-or-apc

Note: some of these have a linear power regulator in them (LD1117-3.3), those are great! However some of them have a small switcher in the unit, these must be replaced by a linear regulator. I've seen both of these around in various units I opened.

Bonus: replace the crystal in unit B for an ultra low phase jitter oscillator (these things run on 25MHz) and be amazed of the resulting audio quality.

Fun part of this is that it solves many of the problems that otherwise are tried to remediate by using special 'audiophile' switches etc, or expensive ethernet cables or whathaveyou, all to try optimize the 'dirty' side, where EVERYTHING has an effect but not as much as simply cleaning it up this way....

Below a picture of our 'clean' side behind the scenes at Axpona Chicago just over a week ago:
The yellow cable is the fiber coming from the 'dirty' end, going into the fiber media converter with linear power supply at the clean end.

20230414_090551.jpg

Hope this may be of help.

Cheers, Hans.

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022
Note: some of these have a linear power regulator in them (LD1117-3.3), those are great! However some of them have a small switcher in the unit, these must be replaced by a linear regulator. I've seen both of these around in various units I opened.
@InfigoAudio - THX :)

Does FMC have linear power regulator in them (LD1117-3.3)?

What is your preferred FMC?

Torben

InfigoAudio

Industry Expert
Jun 14, 2022
Kelowna, BC, Canada
www.infigoaudio.com
If you look at this link:
you will see that as good as all of these are clones from a generic design in which many of them have a linear power regulator (a LD1117-3.3 in SOT223 package) but I have also had versions with a small switcher, which is easy to take out and replace by a linear regulator.

Make sure you have a gigabit version, those are all based on the same Realtek FMC chip.
I don't prefer any of the brands specifically as they are all clones and you never know exactly what you are going to get, even when reordering the same units.

Replacing the 25MHz crystal with an ultra low phase jitter oscillator in the FMC you use on the 'clean' side, powering the whole FMC from a decent linear power supply as shown in the pictures in the OP will give outstanding results at low budget. They work very well with APC fiber cables.

In my experiments I found that it is less important to do the same on the 'dirty' side, as long as you take every single measure possible to optimize the clean side.

Cheers, Hans.

Reactions: sbo6 and TRHH

InfigoAudio

Industry Expert
Jun 14, 2022
Kelowna, BC, Canada
www.infigoaudio.com
Good find!

Looking at the pictures of the innards of this thing at their site, this is exactly what you need on the clean side.
It has the linear power supply and modified clock built inside one single unit.
Great to see someone else was thinking along the same lines and already turned this into a product :)

The OCXO has the crystal in an oven at constant temperature, which further improves clock stability.

Cheers, Hans.

Reactions: FDPDK

Abrad

Jun 4, 2023
Sorry if this has already been covered, I have recently bought the sotm switch and have a nucleus and orbi satellite connected via Ethernet then another Ethernet cable connecting to my dac (Lyngdorf amp). If I was to add optical isolation where is the best place ie between orbi and switch or switch and dac? Also any recommendations eg adot, diy (which elements), opticalModule etc etc?

InfigoAudio

Industry Expert
Jun 14, 2022
Kelowna, BC, Canada
www.infigoaudio.com
Looks great, @TRHH , that's exactly the type of setup that gives great results.
Now for the brave of hearts, open the FMC at the clean side and inspect what regulator is present at the power barrel connector.
If it is like this, then you're good:

20230606_091929.jpg

This one has a 1117-3.3 as you can see, but even here they went cheap and didn't install C1. Also the 25MHz clock source is as cheap as they come, this can be modded relatively easily which vastly improves soundquality. The optical interface in the right of the picture in this case is for SC, there are also versions out there for SFP (like Torben has).

The picture below shows a modded proto where there was a simple switcher at the power barrel connector (yuck!) so I swiped off all components there and replaced it with a LD1117-3.3 to220 version regulator which gives you some flexibility to bend the pins to where they need to go to take the 5V input down to 3V3 on the rest of the circuit.

20230606_092048.jpg

You can see there was a SOT23-5 simple switcher there with some peripheral components that are all gone now, good riddance.
Also, I put a drop of superglue on top of the realtek chip to put a low jitter xtal oscillator (25MHz) and hold it in place, you can see its output going into the right pin where the original cheap xtal used to be.
The difference is huge!
Fun project for DYI'ers, at little cost.

Cheers, Hans.

Reactions: TRHH

jerrybj

Feb 27, 2022
New Zealand

Republicoftexas69

Abrad

Jun 4, 2023
Decided to give this a shot and ordered with the optional OXCO clock. Fun times.
I would also be interested in your view as i will be ordering one soon.

Does anyone have any views / advice on the following options to go with this?

The links have either come from here or other suggestions:
https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/II-VI-Finisar/FCBG110SD1C03?qs=pBN/bMTRZdcL3HgZpizBqQ==
and
https://www.fs.com/uk/products/30887.html?attribute=10647&id=1743483

and for separate connections:

https://www.fs.com/uk/products/20363.html
x2 units,
https://www.fs.com/uk/products/17235.html
Cable option: A and B: LC UPC / 3.0mm

Republicoftexas69

Okay

Republicoftexas69

I would also be interested in your view as i will be ordering one soon.

Does anyone have any views / advice on the following options to go with this?

The links have either come from here or other suggestions:
https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/II-VI-Finisar/FCBG110SD1C03?qs=pBN/bMTRZdcL3HgZpizBqQ==
and
https://www.fs.com/uk/products/30887.html?attribute=10647&id=1743483

and for separate connections:

https://www.fs.com/uk/products/20363.html
x2 units,
https://www.fs.com/uk/products/17235.html
Cable option: A and B: LC UPC / 3.0mm
Okay I have several Finisar SFP Transmitters I use. FCBG110SD1C03 SFP+ (10G) Industrial grade quality for lowest jitters audio data transfer. Very good jumping off point. A consider upgrade is the Finisar FTLX1475D3BCL SFP + 10G with EMI and RFI rejection, detailed and slightly warmer. Make sure you are buying SFP + and buy 10G receivers.

Some really good information here: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...iber-cable-for-audiophiles- /#comment-1150795

Republicoftexas69

My TeraDak T-S212 is in transit. I will be in the mountains for a couple of weeks, heading up on Thursday, hoping it will be here once I come back down. Have 10 days of adventure planned, camping, hiking, rafting in Colorado with my adult children and their partners.

Reactions: Abrad

Republicoftexas69

So made a few modifications to our system and have integrated the TaraDak S212 SFP and had to use the FTLF1318P3BTL 1.25Gb/s RoHS Compliant 1310nm SFP Transceiver replacing my 10G cages and transceivers. I will say the OXCO clock in this devise is very beneficial in reducing jitter and this setup with S212 is a performance upgrade to my digital FEU than just going fiber alone. More details to come as the S212 is in my system longer. Very impressed with the $$$ to performance level. All said well under $500.00 for the upgraded S212, FTLF1318P3BTL, Cage and cables. Supra CAT 8 and OCFO.

Abrad

Jun 4, 2023
Reactions: Republicoftexas69

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing