Evolution Acoustics/darTZeel/Wave Kinetics/Durand - T.H.E. Show 2019

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
DD73403A-9ADC-42D4-8A8A-E780AF067D5A.jpeg

Jonathan Tinn, Kevin Malmgren and Joël Durand hosted Blue Light Audio’s and The Audio Association’s room, which was fronted by the Evolution Acoustics EXACT Series - Maestoso loudspeakers ($18,900). The darTZeel NHB-108 Model Two stereo amplifier ($44,000) and an NHB-18NS MK. II preamplifier with built-in phono stage ($44,000) powered the signal from a Wave Kinetics NVS turntable ($45,000).

39A8D8D6-BCCD-40F8-BA8E-ABA308AD5B88.jpeg

Kevin's outboard cross-over was on full display, and an audiophile never grows tired of looking at that piece of electronic artwork.

E8414D8A-6F9F-4FE5-88E6-5D7A45753348.jpeg

6937FE7B-1AFA-460E-BD9C-71078245E707.jpeg

C5409E75-BC3E-4A23-8E3F-27FAC959ADDB.jpeg

Joël showcased the production version of his incredible-looking and sounding gimbaled Tosca tonearm ($15,000). The tonearm was extremely polished-looking, more so than the prototype I remember from last year.

The sound was very good, with greater dynamics and weight than one would expect from merely looking at the slim loudspeaker towers, but I think this year the room was not doing the system justice.

Early reports from audiophiles who have purchased the Tosca are very positive. I am seriously interested in the Tosca for my personal stereo system.

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Looks very much like the setup they had at Axpona. Their room sounded very nice there.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks Ron.

looks to me a better room than at Axpona (where the gear was sitting on a dresser), but......the sound was surprisingly good for the room situation.

wish i could have been there.

the Tosca is the real deal!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Ron, thanks for the photos. The arm looks great.

This is just a guess regarding VTA adjustment: That seems to be a scissor jack like device (between the arm base and arm rest platform) for raising and lowering arm height. Is that correct? Does one crank it up or down by inserting and rotating an allen key? The challenge seems to be to raise and lower the arm without affecting the sideways tilt or overall rigidity of the arm base. I wonder if it can be disengaged by lowering it a turn while the arm remains higher and locked into place. It looks pretty clever, but hard to understand from afar.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Ron, thanks for the photos. The arm looks great.

This is just a guess regarding VTA adjustment: That seems to be a scissor jack like device (between the arm base and arm rest platform) for raising and lowering arm height. Is that correct? Does one crank it up or down by inserting and rotating an allen key? The challenge seems to be to raise and lower the arm without affecting the sideways tilt or overall rigidity of the arm base. I wonder if it can be disengaged by lowering it a turn while the arm remains higher and locked into place. It looks pretty clever, but hard to understand from afar.

yes and yes.

it is a scissor jack and you do insert an allen key. however, there is great precision in how it works, and a separate level is provided to resolve the sideways tilt issue and a flat spot on top of the bearing halo where that level rests. then soft tipped screws secure that brace to secure the mechanism.

i know that the engineering of this design aspect of the arm was very elaborate and time consuming.

and the focus, dynamics and bass performance of this arm are second to none in my experience.

Reactions: PeterA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing