Expert Stylus Co UK

PBM

Feb 21, 2012
We have a vinyl set-up in our mastering facility for listening to test pressings and to allow clients to bring their projects and hear the result of our work on a decent system (NA Dais, OL Illustrious, Dynavector DRT XV-1s, Soulution phono - modest by some standards, but a great sounding combination).

A couple of months ago one of the dogs got into the room and with one whack of her tail took the stylus and cantilever clean off the cartridge. We rang all of the DV dealers and were given prices for repair/old for new replacement from £1500 to £3000. Not in the business budget.

Then I found the Expert Stylus people, had a couple of great long techie chats with the main man, sent my DRT to him for assessment, and he suggested repair it with a new cantilever and paratrace stylus. So I agreed.

I'd been expecting disappointment as even re-tipping can ruin a sound, but instead I was delighted by the improvement the paratrace made to tracking and overall sound - no loss of detail, no loss of harmonic richness or frequency response overall - and all for less than £400.

I didn't think this should go unmentioned ....

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yup, I used these guys a decade ago to retip my Zu-103 and Transfiguration Orpheus carts. Fantastic results and VFM.

Reactions: Nascimento

Justin - G8YTZ

Mar 14, 2023
I've just had my 40 year old A&R P77 re-tipped by Expert Stylus Co and I'm delighted with the result. The service was friendly, they provided a condition report with the recommended a Paratrace tip replacement, the whole operation, in my case took just six days, including postal time.

Sound wise there is a significant improvement in treble and non-existent sibilance distortion with the new tip. The sound stage accuracy has improved significantly, with instruments and vocals precisely positioned. As expected the excellent projection from the Rogers speakers is achieved that previously only the Linn Akurate streamer and the Quad 66 CD Payer could achieve. There is a little more surface noise, but this is probably due to dirt deep in the groove of my records that the old stylus just could not reach, I suspect that will improve after a few plays.

Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing