Field Coils for Audio Systems

You normally add, what, 6dB, for horn loading?
So the 93-102 Supravox in a horn ups to 99-108?
I know the field coil WVL Son, one of the few box spkrs I'd consider instead of my Zus, is specced at 95dB. That would be 101dB horn loaded?
The field coil horn loaded Maxonic is 101, likely mid 90s driver alone?

Reactions: Audiophile Bill
Hi Bill,
Yes, that would be an interesting experiment...perhaps I will look for a pair of Supravox 215-EXC field coil drivers and pop those in to see what they do and how the performance can be adjusted. They are not cheap but quite a bit more affordable than AER drivers or the upper Voxativ drivers.

The Supravox drivers are reasonably priced. I would love to know what is in the upper AER and Voxativ drivers that makes them so expensive.

I know we live in a world where the price is often based on what the buyers are prepared to pay, and the more expensive something is the more desirable it is.

Reactions: DaveC and morricab
I know the field coil WVL Son, one of the few box spkrs I'd consider instead of my Zus, is specced at 95dB. That would be 101dB horn loaded?

Yes you get around +6dB over the part of the horn where the loading occurs. Would need to properly simulate and measure to give you more precise answer.

Have you heard the WVL son?

No, but I like what I see, have two first hand reports that are very positive, and an extremely promising professional review, from someone other than RGregory, JValin and MFremer.

The Supravox drivers are reasonably priced. I would love to know what is in the upper AER and Voxativ drivers that makes them so expensive.

I know we live in a world where the price is often based on what the buyers are prepared to pay, and the more expensive something is the more desirable it is.
Their Ferrite drivers are VERY reasonable as and you can get a very good sounding 8 inch driver that has a real 97db sensitivity for a few hundred bucks.

No, but I like what I see, have two first hand reports that are very positive, and an extremely promising professional review, from someone other than RGregory, JValin and MFremer.
I have heard from two relaiable sources that with the other right amp it sounds superb. That said, I heard it twice in Munich and was not very impressed...so I forgot about it until one of my customers was raving about it.

So how do you expect it to be a contender to replace your favored loudspeakers?

Btw, I have. And the son is just the basic model, I case you are blown away by the 300k version

For 300k, not just blown away, I expect the full Maxell Tape effect.
I only mention the Sons here because it's a field coil thread, and they tickle my fancy like the Maxonics also do.

For 300k, not just blown away, I expect the full Maxell Tape effect.
I only mention the Sons here because it's a field coil thread, and they tickle my fancy like the Maxonics also do.
Give their Chicago model a listen...for your room size it is a more appropriate model... The Son is a small speaker...

The Son is not gonna work here. My good buddy is considering it w an Ares Cerat amp in his more domestic sized living space, a good chance they will work better there. Of all the field coil based box spkrs out there, the Maxonic would be the best match for my amps and room size, a 15" woofer and horn-loaded 101dB field coil mids.

The Son is not gonna work here. My good buddy is considering it w an Ares Cerat amp in his more domestic sized living space, a good chance they will work better there. Of all the field coil based box spkrs out there, the Maxonic would be the best match for my amps and room size, a 15" woofer and horn-loaded 101dB field coil mids.
That’s what I said. Try the much bigger Chicago...I think it has two woofers per side....oh and with Aries Cerat ;).

@Hieukm has Cessaro field coil

Reactions: dcathro
I just noticed that Wolf Von Langa is selling field coil drive units again as well as his loudspeaker range.

Details here.

There are a range of different Bass drivers, a high efficiency full range with wizzer and a couple of compression drivers.

My comment was not based on owning field coils but my E.E and hearing it . While I do agree regulation matters , the type used matters as well. To add to it interaction of multiple coil types At varying frequencies it seems it matters . but as I have no experience owning them has anyone compared one psu per driver to same psu multiple drivers /? just asking in a kind way i promise this.

I just noticed that Wolf Von Langa is selling field coil drive units again as well as his loudspeaker range.

Details here.

There are a range of different Bass drivers, a high efficiency full range with wizzer and a couple of compression drivers.
That 2676Be looks interesting. Is that an off the shelf Be tweeter I wonder?...

I've always been an admirer of the Field Coil System and its ability to bring you into the music--they are an Enigma so once experienced hard to forget :).
Most to the examples mentioned here are worthy indeed and will perform as specced in the right application and ancillaries.

One caveat I might add is the Maxonic versions(s) I auditioned the single full range version at CES with Sibatech Kondo front end

and frankly was slightly disappointed the sonics did not evolve from the box (Floorstanders).

This was in contradiction to the numerous FC drivers I have heard over the years both in Shows demo and private homes.

There's another Japanese brand--DEER--but I've not heard

I'd advise careful consideration with your choices.

BruceD

Details here.

I’d also been looking at the WVL drivers as well. There’s quite a mix of drivers available there and also a triple field coil supply. They express their intentions also on their approach to loudspeaker design. It makes for interesting reading.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiophile Bill
I’d also been looking at the WVL drivers as well. There’s quite a mix of drivers available there and also a triple field coil supply. They express their intentions also on their approach to loudspeaker design. It makes for interesting reading.
A buddy of mine has the chicagos .... very nice speakers and the drivers are a thing of beauty
Phil

A buddy of mine has the chicagos .... very nice speakers and the drivers are a thing of beauty
Phil

I totally love the quality of their drivers. Beautiful engineering quality / build. Not heard Chicago - only the Son.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing